Why become a member? ×

How To Be In a Band

blue

[size=4][u][b][font=Arial]How To Be In a Band[/font][/b][/u]

[font=Arial]Seems simple , well IMHO it's not and it's part of the reason many guys become disillusioned disappointed and end up in an endless cycle of being bandless or always in between bands, in multiple bands none of them going anywhere and never experiencing what it's like to be in a working productive band.[/font]

[font=Arial]Most of us never define;[/font][/size][list]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]What we are looking for[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]What we want out of band experience[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]The type of band we want to be in and if it's even feasible[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]The type of people we want to work with[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Do I have the experience needed for the type of band I want to play in[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]How far am I willing to commute for gigs and rehearsals[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]How important is gigging and pay to me ( If those things are not important your looking for a "for fun" only band)[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Do I know how to work well with others, can I be part of a team[/font][/size]
[/list]
[size=4][font=Arial]If you don't define these things and I'm sure there are other things you would want to consider, you are really asking for failure.[/font]

[font=Arial]Take the guy that joins a start up and after 6 months, they only have a few songs down and no gigs in site. OK that would be most start up bands. So wouldn't you think, maybe I should stay away from start ups. Or the guy that loves metal and gigging, joins a good metal band but after a year all they had was 6 non-paying gigs. Is he going to say, well there really isn't much of a market for local metal bands here.[/font]

[font=Arial]It's a lot of give and take and compromise.[/font]

[font=Arial]Comments & suggestions;[/font]

Blue[/size]

Edited by blue

It definitely can be a long drawn out process, with lots of people to satisfy. It's very important to be clear on what you, and others want from it. But really, I think it's about enthusiasm and being open. Many of us spend the rest of our lives approaching opportunities like that, so that needs to remain at the forefront when getting together - just have fun, learn as much as you can, and be as good as you can.
This is personal to me but; Since I turned professional, it has been much easier to be part of bands. Having choice and variety i.e. some bands make money, others don't, some are creative, others aren't, takes the pressure off each individual gig to satisfy all needs. I imagine having one band must be very hard. I've been there, but a long time ago now. I think that is a downfall too, for many people I hear of, I think 'wow you probably need to be in three bands to get what you need from your music', which many people haven't got time for. When I play in amateur bands these days, I usually find it quite exhausting, as things just take longer or are quite haphazard. That's not a smug statement or something I think is 'better'. It sounds arrogant and it's not supposed to be. Most bands I work in have one person leading it, and others that do the playing and bring their own thing to the table. This is really sustainable for me. But I'm happy interpreting ideas, I find that rewarding.
Music is a million things to a million people, no way can one person suggest better or worse. I have found though, that having a more professional approach, as you do in your other areas of life, can be a big help in productivity, whatever that may be.

What works for one person, at one time in their life, doesn't necessarily work for anyone else (or even that same person at a different stage in their lfe!).

It's important to be honest with others and - most importantly - with yourself.

I've been in bands on and off for 25 years now.

At one time I was in more than 5 bands, but I was dedicating all my time to music then, and you're right that covers a huge amount of ground when it comes to the different types of payback you can get from being in a band.

Then real life took over and my lifestyle changed, now I'm in one band, its a project I had in the back of my mind for over ten years that I have tried to get off the ground a couple of times before, each failed and I learnt a lot from those failures.

Main take aways were that the concept for the band was really sound but would only work with exactly the right people involved at the core. Every band has to have a concept, even if its just go in a room with some mates and make noise, but the better you can define that concept before trying to get partners in crime the less likelihood of disappointment and unrest there will be IME.

So if you are looking for a band and get an audition for someone, really see if you can spot a well targetted concept when you meet them, it will drive pretty much everything about the band, the line up, set/style, look of the band and anything that can be considered as stand out about the band comes from an interesting concept IME.

If you are looking to start a band then really spend some time to find a niche concept, the easiest one is as a tribute band, sure you have to spend some time learning material and get some thrift store clothes to sort of match and maybe a wig, but 95% of the thinking was already done by the original band. Which is a big part of why there are so many tribute bands out there getting paid for gigs to play covers. A niche is important though, you want to stand out, but appeal to a lot of people based upon genre or scene, so a niche or clever variation can make all the difference IME.

Having had my concept up and running and progressing for a couple of years some other truths have become crystal clear, firstly always always set expectations super clearly with all the members of the band, and keep them the same for everyone. This is actually trickier than it sounds, you need a reliable core to the band, but in my case we have core members and then a series of other musicians who are maybe a step away from that core, the main reason is the core members directly contribute to compositions, but the other slightly more satellite members are less involved in this, either they are given the music they need to play by a section leader, or their parts are icing on the cake and they are so good that they can create brilliant parts from the now existing arrangements that are perfect compliments to what has been put together already. There is a definite cross over of these twop main areas, and I've found members to become more core as their tenure with the band increases, for instance our keys player was a late addition, but his ideas have become integral to the music we have, and he has become less icing and more core as a result. Gigging without him is nowhere near as good as gigging with him (always a sign that a member is now integral). However even the satellite players are bringing a part of themselves to the role they play in the band and without them the band is far less impressive sounding and looking, so they are equal in all other regards within the band, they just dont need to make every rehearsal if we are in a composing mode, but when we are leading up to a gig they have to be their to get the set rehearsals right. Our bass trombonist doesnt write anything, but he is integral to the sound of the band, is a lovely chap, reliable and an excellent player, he's worth his weight in chocolate coins so he is!

This matches where your expectations should be as a player joining a band as well though, in the first instance expect to be less a core member, even if you play on every song (unless you are a founder member), even as a bass player there is a period where you can expect to be working your way into the band playing some other guy's parts to a greater extent, but with time you will become a core member of the band because they can't gig without you, or you'll be binned as a poor fit.

Expectations are driven by some simple things, how much you are getting to be in the band, be that in terms of financial reward or musical gratification, versus the amount of effort required to be a member of the band. And getting that balance right is the be all and end of getting a band to gel happily and progress IME. Everyone has to know where they stand wrt the money, and they need to know that any money they dont get is going back into the band (recording, photoshoots/video, rehearsal time, PA hire, transport, materials - doesnt matter, you have to keep everyone clear about where that little trickle of cash is actually going), and every once in a while a decent paying gig begin divvied up with everyone is a real win for a niche originals band, I can assure you.

We dont get big paying gigs normally, but we do get huge musical satisfaction, the band exists because of that satisfaction, we are all trying to create great music to play in front of people, and that has attracted more, and better musicians as time has gone on. The caliber of musician you are looking to play with must be in your mind every time soneone else trys out, you dont want to be teaching anyone how to play your music or their instrument, if they dont have the chops, or the knowledge of the genre/niche/concept you are better off waiting for someone else than having them in the band, they will just dilute the goal and slow progress down.

So expect to be turned away from auditions where you dont fit that band's concept pretty exactly fairly often, unless you have command of a wide range of styles really under your fingertips. Its not you, its just you aren't what they want, its a sign of a band with a target if they take time to choose the right players, its a good thing if you see this once you are in a band IMO!

Similarly no one wants to put up with an arsehat, so coming across as the big I am or in any way being a potential PIA negates any ability in a genre/niche/conept to get in the bands, no one os that good that they can be a PIA and get into a good band, so be nice, be respectful, be fun, be positive and always be reliable. Fail on any of those points and expect to be asked to leave sooner or later. Or the band will fold IME, because the rest of the members will leave you to it and find something else to do..

Finally have goals, that are achievable for each year, last year we were after firming up the line up, getting to a two set in a night with some extra tracks thrown in to allow us to rotate those sets for our own sanity and play some gigs where we really connected with the audience - even better if it was in a new town with a new audience. Simple goals, we achieved them all to varying degrees, we are a solid 7 piece, but one of the 7 can't always make it (they are so wildly excellent asa musician and a real icing on the cake so they are in regardless, its rather nice to have a player of their calibre desperate to be in your band whenever they can be), we are still looking for an 8th member (a third horn) we had a try out but he's too busy to commit at all, so he's not going to make it, we have some leads, and we played some great gigs this year including a blinder in London, huge tick!

Another goal was to play some festivals in 2015, and we've just been asked to play the Elderflower Festival this May, which is a lovely way to start the year, knowing we have a highlight gig (for us) in the bag, the whole band is uper fired up over landing this gig, to some people it may be a little festival and no big deal, but remember, we a rea seriously niche originals band who have got there by word of mouth and people seeing us live, it means a lot to people who are getting not much other than musical satisfaction that other people are really rating our endeavours.

So if the band you find yourself in has no new goals, set some and work out how to make them happen, or you will stagnate in just a few months. And then the band will start to fall apart.

If you cant find a band like this, then start your own, but be prepared to do pretty much all the leg work yourself, band leaders have to exist in every band, or they lose direction, but a benevolent dictator with a heart of gold is the only band leader you should care to work with unless they are paying you a decent chunk of cold hard cash. Its also the only type of band leader you can afford to be unless you are getting serious gigs in that pay well enough to make playing for you worth the pain you will be in the arse of the musicians working for you. Starting a new band is a long term endeavour, you arent going to be playing headlining gigs to full houses within a year, thats for sure, but its amazingly rich in its rewards nevertheless....

Sorry for the essay!

Like others, I've been in bands with friends, and in my case, the band wasn't great but I enjoyed being with my friends for the fun of it.

On the other hand, I have really enjoyed being in a pro-type band pretty much organised & run by one guy. He is (almost) a dictator - calls the numbers, divi's the cash and, in effect, I'm a hired hand. Turn up, play the notes, get paid. Pretty much works for me. Fewer arguements, you know where you stand. These have been long-lasting groups.

Most of other bands I've been in claiming 'democracy' have usually broken up due to arguements and everyone having their own version of 'the rules'. Even if they made a decent band.

G.

Get common ground on what you are trying to do..what you will do
and get the right people. There will have to be compromises as you
don't want sheep either so pick your battles and accept you can't win
them all..and nor do you want to if you want the band to stay healthy, IMO.

You can have fun being in a band but never be in a band for fun.

I can have fun anywhere, but I'll be in a band for the satisfaction of doing the best performance/gig/set that I can, and playing with guys that can deliver the same.

Luckily I haven't been without a band for over 25 years. IMO you can't beat the buzz of a great gig.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1420602998' post='2651222']
[list]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]What we are looking for[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]What we want out of band experience[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]The type of band we want to be in and if it's even feasible[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]The type of people we want to work with[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Do I have the experience needed for the type of band I want to play in[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]How far am I willing to commute for gigs and rehearsals[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]How important is gigging and pay to me ( If those things are not important your looking for a "for fun" only band)[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Do I know how to work well with others, can I be part of a team[/font][/size]
[/list]
[/quote]

I had a bit of a review of all this last year and ended up winding down my own (as in run-by-me) band a bit in favour of doing as much depping with other bands as possible. Loving it!

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1420627292' post='2651381']
What works for one person, at one time in their life, doesn't necessarily work for anyone else (or even that same person at a different stage in their lfe!).

It's important to be honest with others and - most importantly - with yourself.
[/quote]

Agreed, I have learned a lot over the past 50 years. My approach to playing and what I want are obviously different now then what it was when I was in my teens and 20s. I would think and hope that would be the case for everyone.

Blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1420637439' post='2651570']
You can have fun being in a band but never be in a band for fun.

I can have fun anywhere, but I'll be in a band for the satisfaction of doing the best performance/gig/set that I can, and playing with guys that can deliver the same.

Luckily I haven't been without a band for over 25 years. IMO you can't beat the buzz of a great gig.
[/quote]

Agreed, I have a different twist on the verbiage. I say;

[i]"I always have fun when I'm playing, however I don't play for fun, I play for money"[/i]

I think some younger guys think if your being paid , it's more of a business and not fun anymore. I think the part these guys are missing is, it actually becomes more fun when your paid and you want to have more fun.

Blue

For me whatever band I`m in must be a gigging band. From there I take the rest of it as do I enjoy the music, and can I get on with the people in the band. If anything else comes up further down the line I`ll deal with it then, but if the answer to those three isn`t yes then I don`t want to know.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1420626712' post='2651375']
3 bands for fun. I'd like some of the fun bands to gig more, but I don't get frustrated about it. I just like to play![/quote]

Sounds good, especially since you balance the more fun stuff with a pro gigging band.

I would have said the same things 30-40 years ago. I still love playing however at 61 I only want to be in 1 band, the right band for me. Multiple bands, would not work for me. And I do not perform free of charge.

Point here is for me, in terms of "how to be in a band" is the realization that I'm a 1 band guy.

Blue

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1420670275' post='2652119']
For me whatever band I`m in must be a gigging band. From there I take the rest of it as do I enjoy the music, and can I get on with the people in the band. If anything else comes up further down the line I`ll deal with it then, but if the answer to those three isn`t yes then I don`t want to know.
[/quote]

Agreed, that is really where it starts for me. It's why I pursued the band I have been in for the past 3 years plus. They had an established book of business.

When I started gigging back in 1966, that's what everything was about. Getting a rock band together and going out and making a fool out of yourself on stage and making money.

Now there seems to be a population of musicians that could gig but chose to only involve themselves in bed room playing or basement "for fun only" bands. It's a good example of how things change.

Now, what I am talking about is different from the guys with 40 years of gigging under their belt and get burned out and decide it's time to stop. Or guys that unfortunately run into health problems that put an end to gigging. Those are the worse stories for me to hear about.

My point here is for some guys, not being in a band is how to be in a band.

Blue

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1420628207' post='2651399']

If you cant find a band like this, then start your own,
[/quote]

I wish folks would qualify this idea. I'll say it again, it takes certain skills and resources to start a gigging band on your own. It's not an option for everyone.

Blue

I'm only interested in bands with a serious attitude to music making. I'm not interested in hobby bands. I don't care if the band makes zero money from playing but I do insist on a professional attitude from all members. Which means regular rehearsals and gigs. Pretend bands aren't my thing.

So far, if I look at all the responses here, the consensus at a high level is;

To be in a band, you have to understand yourself as a musician and know what you want. That's where it starts. Then it gets into how to find or pick that band, then how to win an opportunity, and how how to be successful and stay in the band.

Blue