Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Retro Two10 first thoughts

Jenny_Innie

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1419935202' post='2644025']A couple of my cabs have tweeters, but I usually either turn them partly down or even dial them out[/quote]

I run a Markbass setup and have the piezo tweeter off on the 15" cab and the horn tweeter mid-way on the 12". Gives about the right balance for my taste. Much depends on the room thoughand I've decided that trying to get it perfect is useless(ish) - places we play tend to sound markedly different early in the evening to later when full of drunk people.

If you want a one cab solution then units that are based around 115 or 210 aren't going to be it, IMO.
I think you should have gone with a 212 with a horn...if the weight is to your liking or 2x112, if not,

The compromise is to gig both your current units if they deliver the sound you want to live with.

Question is would you sell on the retro 210? As I'd buy it.

Personally I liked the TC RH750, sounds great great features etc etc however going beyond loud and into gig volumes with a band it lost much of what it was good at. And I never liked it wi any barefaced cab I tried.
The compact I liked however like you seemed to not get much note definition beyond sitting right in front of it, particularly when it got loud at rehearsals..

I would vote you try the Super Compact as mines been nothing short of amazing in every situation. Dispersion is a lot better, and it feels hell a lot louder than the Compact ever was. Lots more punch. Using 500 watts into it has been plenty and I've been able to out do the kick drum sometimes. I want another but purely for aesthetics.

Been interested in these retro cabs since they were mentioned a while back, I like the old school grainy tone and size and weight are always appealing, but I'd be worried about using one solo at anything beyond monitoring for myself.

i still love my barefaced super 15, i have zero trouble with note definition, it puts out all the gnarly mids i put into it, but with a solid bottom end, though i never mic mine up and just use it for stage monitoring, with my demeter 800w power amp it can get WAY loud

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1419980379' post='2644652']
I never saw Most of this thread till now, it took me all day to type my reply out in between work and playing shadow of mordor.

What a load of moaning old nit pickers.
[/quote]

Old geezers eh? Whoda thunk?

Edited by Jenny_Innie

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1419952012' post='2644259']
I get the idea that the 12 Ohm version is intended as a modular thing. I obviously didn't order it, so didn't make that choice.
[/quote]

Quote alex from the barefaced website.... [i][size=3]"[color=#333333] If you wish to add more Two10s and need your 4 ohm cab to run at 12 ohms then it be converted from one impedance to the other by replacing the wiring loom, crossover and rear panel - a simple job as it's a complete modular assembly with no soldering required." [/color][/size][/i]would you think of taking it to 4 ohms?

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1419952012' post='2644259']
I'm not sure what to make of all of the mumbo jumbo about watts. Here's my thinking.
[/quote] [url="http://service.tcgroup.tc/media/tc-electronic-power-rating-and-active-power-management.pdf"]link here to TC's own explanation.... [/url] it's actually really interesting stuff, they've looked at how a bass uses power and tailored the power section to supply the power where it's needed more useful and combined that with some clever limiting and compression. Very very clever stuff going on.

To the OP: Great review! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us B)

But.... as this thread title mentions the dreaded word "Barefaced" - lots of other issues raise their heads! Not only that, but the old chestnut about TC and their "liberal" power ratings... :rolleyes:

Once again to the OP: Many of us old crusties on here have spent decades in our quest to find the ultimate in amplification, never mind the relatively recent phenomenon of the "one-cab-solution"!! You have embarked on a long and interesting journey - one fraught with euphoria, frustration and depression in equal measures. You will grow as a person while on that journey, but (and this may be news to some) you may never reach your destination...

Still, as Swing Out Sister once sang - "It's better to travel". Good luck on your quest young one! :lol:

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1420114028' post='2645654']
I'd need at least two by the sounds of this review though, but would look ace stacked on stage
[/quote]

i cant see myself ever getting rid of my super15 though, i'll just tour it until it falls apart, which probably wont happen

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1420141271' post='2646086']
To the OP: Great review! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us B)

But.... as this thread title mentions the dreaded word "Barefaced" - lots of other issues raise their heads! Not only that, but the old chestnut about TC and their "liberal" power ratings... :rolleyes:

Once again to the OP: Many of us old crusties on here have spent decades in our quest to find the ultimate in amplification, never mind the relatively recent phenomenon of the "one-cab-solution"!! You have embarked on a long and interesting journey - one fraught with euphoria, frustration and depression in equal measures. You will grow as a person while on that journey, but (and this may be news to some) you may never reach your destination...

Still, as Swing Out Sister once sang - "It's better to travel". Good luck on your quest young one! :lol:
[/quote]

This is a winning post.

• 9 months later...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1419981770' post='2644671']
purely fingerstyle here, mate... picks? That's like for guitarists, newbies and clown-whores with no talent :P ;)
[/quote]

*sigh* I so hope this was posted in fun as indicated by the smilies. Useful review but the discussion has sorta got dissipated along the way guys.... oh and the OP has sold her retro2x10 already.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1444808195' post='2886133']

*sigh* I so hope this was posted in fun as indicated by the smilies. Useful review but the discussion has sorta got dissipated along the way guys.... oh and the OP has sold her retro2x10 already.
[/quote]

Jennie's sold ONE of her two Retro Two10s... ;)

Edited by Merton

[/quote]

Oh, and the whole "clown-whore" thing is a very specific (and very amusing) reference to a thread from ages ago... But if you weren't there it won't mean much. No offence meant at all :)

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1444909802' post='2887199']
Jennie's sold ONE of her two Retro Two10s... ;)
[/quote]

Yup. I get the perfect sound from one Retro Two10 with a Gen 2 Compact. So, as I needed the space in my new uni pad, the other R2T had to go. Still recommend them other than the tolex falls off on a regular basis.

• 2 weeks later...

[/quote]

it was all in jest, of course! It had a reference to some ridiculous thread (clown-whores was one of the interesting words that came out of it) but if you were not familiar with it I guess it could be taken completely the wrong way. Sorry about that!