Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Retro Two10 first thoughts

Jenny_Innie

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1419937406' post='2644048']
If people still wish to imply that TC amps only put out 200 watts, I'll continue to relate my experience of them, that they are easily the equivalent of 500 and 750 watt amps.

The yawn is because the continued misinformation from a few people is getting very boring.
[/quote]Sorry for resurrecting this thread.

The misinformation is that 200 Watts is 200 Watts. No amount of processing can multiiply watts.

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='Macker5' timestamp='1446316359' post='2898573']
Yep - shame about the peeling tolex!!!
[/quote]

The peeling tolex is just bad design. There's basically a rectangle of tolex glued to the back of the cabinet. The edges lift as the tolex will react to the atmosphere in a different manner to the wood it is stuck to. I've taken mine back to the workshop for resticking. They claimed they were using better glue - but the resticking only lasted a couple of weeks. Then there was a letter that went out to all owners offering a kit to fix the issue. Basically, a pot of glue with a plastic spreader tool. I followed the instructions to the letter. It only lasted a couple of weeks - then the tolex started peeling again.

It's just lack of thought in the design. Most other manufacturers with a bit of experience wrap it 'round corners and staple it. Glueing a big rectangular piece of tolex on a piece of wood is never going to work. Good sounding cab, looks pretty, tolex peels off. Live with it.

Edited by Jenny_Innie

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1446391548' post='2898995']
Then there was a letter that went out to all owners offering a kit to fix the issue. Basically, a pot of glue with a plastic spreader tool.
[/quote]

It's good to know that in this day and age customer service is alive and well. :)

I had the peeling Tolex thing on my 2 cabs - around the edge of the removable rear panel. You could push it down flat again, but it would lift again quite quickly.

As I only live about 30 miles north of the BF factory and had a day off, I took them down about 3 months ago.

I was told it was an issue with the glue they originally used, and they had been through several variants since.

They glued mine while I did some shopping, and gave me the emergency repair pot of glue to take home. I haven't noticed them peeling since, and still love the cabs, especially as I now have them paired with a Carvin B1000 that can run at 2 ohm*.

It is now a monster rig!

*Thanks to Eude and Merton for the tip!

I've used good old fashioned solvent based PS adhesive to refix mine.
The problem is that the water based / aqueous adhesives, paints, pigments and lacquers that are allowed to be used today because of elf and safety and eco rules are just plain friggin useless in the real world.
40 years in the paper, print and packaging industry has taught me that.