Why become a member? ×

Alex James?

stingrayPete1977

I never see much love for Alex James on this site, maybe we should correct that?

[media]http://youtu.be/LgEin42blfk[/media]

[media]http://youtu.be/obEE6AULAGU[/media]

He does appear to take more drugs when he uses a Stingray for some reason but lets gloss over that :lol:

Anyone else a fan?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Totally agree with you, Alex is one of my fave players, quite a few inventive basslines scattered throughout the Blur back catalogue. Colin Zeal one of my faves.

Edit - I also happen to live about 5 miles away from his house. Often thought about asking him to sign my Blur albums but chicken out massively! :D

Edited by 40hz

I know the term underrated is thrown about and clichéd but it really does apply to Alex massively. Great Stingray and Precison tones, inventive, melodic basslines. He's a really nice bloke in real life and cool as f*** to boot! :)

• Like 2

I also remember reading an interview where he was asked what bass he played, and in a rhetorical gesture shrugged and asked the tech, who informed him that it was a Stingray.

He went on to state that to a bassist, the choice of bass was no more important than the choice of pen is to an author. I was a bit outraged at this at the time, but am coming round to that viewpoint more and more.

Edited by Roland Rock
  • Like 3

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1419179264' post='2637277']
He went on to state that to a bassist, the choice of bass was no more important than the choice of pen is to an author.
[/quote]

Some authors did choose their pens with care, but I still like that line. I wish I'd thought of it.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1419179264' post='2637277']
I also remember reading an interview where he was asked what bass he played, and in a rhetorical gesture shrugged and asked the tech, who informed him that it was a Stingray.

He went on to state that to a bassist, the choice of bass was no more important than the choice of pen is to an author. I was a bit outraged at this at the time, but am coming round to that viewpoint more and more.
[/quote]

Part of their image was to be too cool for school, at the same time Damon Allbran was collecting antique harpsichords and stuff so I'd take that with a pinch of salt, on the other hand I think he sounds the same to some extent on any bass, Jazz bass in the very early clips, P bass, Stingray and he even sounds the same in some clips with him on electric upright bass! Its that plucky right hand technique imo, works just right for the band.

Remember seeing him whilst I was uni - he did have that too cool for school swagger. Whilst technically not brilliant a bass player I think I'm probably not alone in thinking that some of his bass lines were sublime and were exactly what the song needed - girls and boys example. Blur I thought were a brilliant lineup of people. Dave Rowntree behind the drums... He's the definition of bland. How did that ever work? But it did.

On another blur related note, I'm bumped into graham coxen in Camden once. "You're Graham Coxen are you?" I asked.

"Yeah"

"Ah. Ok"

end of conversation.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

http://youtu.be/WDswiT87oo8

Have to say GC really was my fave guitarist of the Brit Pop era. When I last saw him live (Hyde park - I was meant to be support but that's another story) it made me remember how he was really a master in texture and timbre as opposed to anything else. Love it.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1419178909' post='2637265']
I remember hearing him say that he was very influenced by the Duran Duran bass player. Can't remember his name, the one that Mrs RR used to fancy
[/quote]

John Taylor? I suppose I can understand that. Neither are root note plodders.

Alex James is a hero. :D As a 15 year old in 1998, Alex along with Alonza Bevan (Kula Shaker) were my influence at the time and helped me shape my style. (Until I found Fyffe, Clarke, Miller, Zender etc of course) They are two players who I think are both very talented, unique and somewhat under-appreciated and whom today I still have massive respect for today.

They're one of those bands I wasn't into at the time but listening to some of his bass playing has seen them grow on me a lot recently. Girls and Boys is such a great line, adds so much to the song and is a blast to play.

As for the man himself he makes his playing look so effortless, almost as if he's never played bass and just walked in, picked one up and knocked out a great line without trying B)