Why become a member? ×

Sweeping Generalisation

Weststarx

Hi All,

Before I start I would like it to be known that I play bass and play guitar.

When it comes to buying and selling gear why is it that guitarists are so eager and keen to be rude to one and other? Constantly on these Facebook selling groups I see guitarist bashing each other about gear and being generally downright out of order in some cases.

What caused me to write this post is recently a girl put a guitar up for sale on one of these groups who clearly had no idea about guitars and listed in the description that it was 'pre strung'. Now I agree from a our point of view that is funny because that's what we all expect when we buy a guitar, but the amount of unnecessary abuse and bullying I witnessed in the comments boxes coming from guitarists was absolutely disgusting.

It made me appreciate how nice and friendly this community is as we don't get this sort of silly behaviour - every dealing I've had with a bass player has been pleasant but with guitarists there's always some sort of problem or you're dealing with an asshole.

I hate these types of posts I've just made as it is (as per the title) a sweeping generalisation of guitarists and I know its not everybody, but I just find the more I look the more I see guitarists being rude to each other and I just don't understand it...

I have to say that I have noticed this quite a lot on a similar Facebook buy/sell type page. The majority of people on there are nice but there is a small minority who seem to have no tolerance/understanding of the fact that some people aren't as knowledgeable as them.

No real need at all to be rude like that to anybody IMO.

That's just Facebook and YouTube in general, not just guitarists. If people can get away with being anonymously stupid, bullying rude assholes online, it makes up for the fact that the mentally weak, pathetic deeky twinks can't get away with it quite so easily in meatspace.

Plus the fact I think the average age of people on here is relatively high compared with Facebook [i]et al[/i], and we come from a halcyon age where manners were taught more assiduously than today.... Ah yes... small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts, isn't it... marvellous.

Edit: And before anyone under 25 starts having a go at me, you're very lovely. Now get back to your Xbox.

Edited by discreet

The thing that makes the difference here is that we have a smaller, tighter community who are drawn here with a common interest.

We occasionally get little outbursts, but these are dealt with quickly and quietly with a piece of 4x2 and a roll of gaffa tape, obviously in a deeply caring and spiritual manner, round the back of Greggs... :ph34r:

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1419081239' post='2636320']
...dealt with quickly and quietly with a piece of 4x2 and a roll of gaffa tape round the back of Greggs... :ph34r:
[/quote]

Ooh... that's a very sensitive area round the back of the greggs...

Edited by discreet

More people pick up guitar as an instrument than any other & many on the forums are just cheeky kids (affectionately known in Scotland as "wee fannies").
So you can expect a high amount of youngsters on a forum, but better mods on the forums wouldn't go amiss.

Like many here, I love nothing more than to see how far one can push a thread as soon as different opinions start to emerge, but all very tongue in cheek. Just good to have a laugh together. I Hope no one ever takes my comments seriously.
If I have upset anybody - my drummer will see you outside

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1419079850' post='2636300']
Hi All,

When it comes to buying and selling gear why is it that guitarists are so eager and keen to be rude to one and other? Constantly on these Facebook selling groups I see guitarist bashing each other about gear and being generally downright out of order in some cases.

What caused me to write this post is recently a girl put a guitar up for sale on one of these groups who clearly had no idea about guitars and listed in the description that it was 'pre strung'. Now I agree from a our point of view that is funny because that's what we all expect when we buy a guitar, but the amount of unnecessary abuse and bullying I witnessed in the comments boxes coming from guitarists was absolutely disgusting.

It made me appreciate how nice and friendly this community is as we don't get this sort of silly behaviour - every dealing I've had with a bass player has been pleasant but with guitarists there's always some sort of problem or you're dealing with an asshole.

I hate these types of posts I've just made as it is (as per the title) a sweeping generalisation of guitarists and I know its not everybody, but I just find the more I look the more I see guitarists being rude to each other and I just don't understand it...
[/quote]

i suspect it's age related...

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1419079850' post='2636300']
Hi All,

[/quote]

Opinionated individuals ranting and being rude to others on the Internet?! Whatever next!

I must admit, I find Facebook, youtube etc to be just as bad as places like basschat at times. Everywhere has its dark corners. That's why I much prefer to meet for sales/swaps etc in person as people tend to be less outrageous and more polite in real life than when they're sat behind the security of a computer screen :-)

I think it's a cultural thing. Bassists are generally happy to stay at the back and provide the foundation for guitarists and the like to, well.......show off more often than not. There are good guitarists and bad ones, and in my experience the good ones know what not to play and know when to shut up. I'd assume that the ones who crave the spotlight on social media are mostly the ones who don't know when to shut up.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1419172579' post='2637182']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]There are good guitarists and bad ones, and in my experience the good ones know what not to play and know when to shut up. [/font][/color]I'd assume that the ones who crave the spotlight on social media are mostly the ones who don't know when to shut up.
[/quote]

More likely they're the ones who can't play an instrument [i]at all[/i] and are busy getting their own back on people who are prepared to put the time and effort into learning and trying to improve themselves. Young master discreet is guilty of trying something, then dropping it when he discovers he's not immediately a leading world-class expert! I keep telling him that anything worth doing takes time and effort!

Edited by discreet

It's funny Weststarx mentioning behaviour on here.

The other day a young lass posted for some advice and one of the replies suggested she
take a parent or brother with her. Sound advice, from somebody who actually took the
time to read her post and think about her circumstances.

On other sites I've seen folk from India ask about gear and get told " I paid $*** on Craigs List or
GC " or my personal favourite " I've £100 to spend " met with " My $3000 ??? plays great "

Hardly helps the poor guy.

Here I reckon the age group and the tighter group means folk have better manners and are happy
to help. One thing I've noticed on FB is if you pull somebody up for something others will back you up
but mostly nobody says anything and the arses get away with it.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1419186460' post='2637384']
One thing I've noticed on FB is if you pull somebody up for something others will back you up
but mostly nobody says anything and the arses get away with it.
[/quote]

I did FB for a little while, but was appalled when, apropos of nothing, all sorts of people from my past crawled out of the woodwork. In some cases, they were people I deliberately broke contact with and never wanted to hear from again. FB has no positive, discernible use I can see and is a monumental waste of time. So it was very easy for me to delete my account and let the cretins get on with their pointless crap.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1419196136' post='2637531']
I've the thing set to private. Learned the hard way through countless posts from people I care nothing about.
[/quote]

I do have another account now, purely for signing in to various sites and for other purposes where for some reason you need one, but I never visit it and never post anything there. Seems to me like FB and Twitter are aimed at the online equivalent of people who never STFU in meatspace. I've never found it necessary to tell everyone what I had for breakfast or what mood I'm in today...

Edited by discreet