Why become a member? ×

New Bass day. Ibanez SR300M

tom1946

Arrived today from Gear for music, great firm to deal with.

The bass:

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ibanez-SR300M-Bass-Guitar-Soda-Blue-FREE-Pro-Gig-Bag/12OF?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+Ibanez&medium=vertical_search&network=google&adgroup=Ibanez+SR300M+Bass+Guitar.+Soda+Blue+FREE+Pro+Gig+Bag&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=50127d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=86005347679&gclid=CjwKEAiAhcGjBRDot_fjjtPKrgsSJACNYh760KrV-8OMNildTULbcG4cD58QDBuxPqzGvz2sRMiy5RoCCanw_wcB

I've had one before and sold it which was a mistake, this one is probably the best setup bass I've ever seen, the neck is arrow straight and the action out of the box is unreal! very very low all the way up the neck with no rattles, Perfect! Such a light instrument too and the pickups are very loud and seem very versatile.

I paid less for it as I've just bought an amp there, the gig bag is also top quality. This could well end up being my main bass :o

Nothing to criticise at all.

Congratulations on your purchase - excellent choice!

I've been playing an SR600 as my main bass for the past 4 years during which time my playing has progressed as never before. Now thoroughly hooked on Ibanez SR basses and currently GAS-ing for an SR 5-string - possibly an SR605.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1417863996' post='2624642']
I've never heard of anyone getting a "bad" Ibanez at any price point, and they do feel wonderful to play! It's a shame they don't do many passive models these days, at least not that I've seen.
[/quote]

Nor me. More passives, please, Ibanez!

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1417847995' post='2624511']
Mine's definately a keeper too.
[/quote]

How many times have we all said this at some point :D[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Thats a really nice colour. Had a pewter one last year sometime and the bass was flawless in construction. [/size]

Does anyone know how these newer, three band e.q SR300's compare in sound to the previous "style sweeper" e.q.? I loved the feel ( weight ) and skinny neck on my SR300, but could never quite get a sound I loved from the style sweeper, I think the newer e.q , being somewhat simpler, might suit me better, anyone had both types to compare? Absolutely LOVE that maple and blue, by the way!!!!

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1418063863' post='2626479']
Does anyone know how these newer, three band e.q SR300's compare in sound to the previous "style sweeper" e.q.? I loved the feel ( weight ) and skinny neck on my SR300, but could never quite get a sound I loved from the style sweeper, I think the newer e.q , being somewhat simpler, might suit me better, anyone had both types to compare? Absolutely LOVE that maple and blue, by the way!!!!
[/quote]

That is the only niggle I have about mine is the 'style sweep'. I did consider getting a different pre-amp put in at one point...but then I bought another bass and blew all my savings

Ok slight hitch,
Plugged in last night and there is constant crackling, a bit like a faulty lead or jack socket. Changed basses and it stopped so there's summat wrong with it.

Going to ring Gear for music when they open to test the CS.

At the practice on tuesday my guitar playing wife said it sounded a bit 'off', as though it wasn't quite in tune but it was. Intonation is fine but the E string has a funny sort of resonance to it. Can't explain that though, Oh and I did put a new battery in but it's just the same.

I picked up my P/J Lyte up and it felt really clunky after the Ibby.

I'll post back soon.