Why become a member? ×

Most covered 'Classic Rock' song

Guest MoJo

My guitarist friend and I were sitting, post sound-check' looking at all the posters on the venue walls and a comment was made about the increasing number of 'Classic Rock Covers' bands playing the local circuit now, ourselves included. My friend said, "I bet there's some songs that we all play and they're sick of hearing".

I'd be interested to know, if you play in a Classic Rock covers band, what song in your set you think is probably covered by the majority of other CR cover bands.

Out of our set, I'd say that there's a good chance that Lizzy's 'Don't believe a word' makes a regular appearance on a lot of other band's set lists

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1417347455' post='2619317']
Get out of my setlist... <_<

;) :D
[/quote]

anymore on the list?? :P
[url="http://www.lemonrock.com/sourgrapeskingstonuponthames?page=songs"]http://www.lemonrock.com/sourgrapeskingstonuponthames?page=songs[/url]

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1417347618' post='2619321']
anymore on the list?? :P
[/quote]

Might be... :rolleyes:

Thing is, if you're playing that particular circuit, then [b]not[/b] playing those songs will pretty soon leave you without gigs - in much the same way that any of us playing NYE are going to be playing Hi Ho Silver Lining at some point during the evening. :)

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1417346299' post='2619289']

My friend said, "I bet there's some songs that we all play and they're sick of hearing".

[/quote]

I would argue he is wrong.

People go to interact with a live band. They like to hear songs they know and if they can sing along or play air guitar to the solo all the better.

Your setlist will never exactly match the band the week before or the week after. There's bound to be some crossover but I'd bet that if we all put our setlists up there wouldn't be that same one song that we all play.

It's just the musicians who get fed up with playing the same setlist because we're playing it week in week out.

It's the same argument I have with our band when choosing new tunes. "Every band plays that one..."

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1417355157' post='2619438']
The last two bands I've joined have set out to do something different, you get two songs in and "do you do any kings of leon, sweet home alabama, sweet child?" etc , I suppose you have to give them what they want?
[/quote]

Quite.

You're being paid for providing a service. If you don't provide that service what happens?

Surely it's about a balance.

You play a few obscure songs that a few of the audience like and you play a few of the big numbers.

Someone said 3:1 was the ideal ratio of well known to obscure.

We've been stripping out a lot of the obscure numbers from our set because we can see the audience losing interest. Reading your audience is a very important skill.

I've always been against writing a setlist, turning up and playing it. Unless you have played the pub lots of times and already know the audience you will get. I'm much more of the turn up, look at your audience and then tailor your setlist to suit. Doesn't need a full rewrite just a tinker. Might even just be shuffling some songs from first set to second or vice versa.

Edited by TimR