Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Marshall amps documentary

casapete

Their bass amps may be outdated compared to modern offerings, yet I just got a model 1550 bass cab, and it's excellent. Far better than most cabs in the same class from well respected makes, such as ampeg and Hartke and fender. That is the second excellent Marshall bass cab I owned.

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1417470466' post='2620790']
As far as I'm aware (this came from a reliable source) Marshall shift about a million quids worth of kit a year, so I have a suspicion that they don't actually give a sh*t.........
:)
[/quote]

If this is a reliable source as you claim, I can not see them lasting that long at all in todays market with such a old school "British" attitude attitude.
As I said they are a non entity in bass rig sales, probably because as you mentioned, they dont give a ****.
Thats half of the potential band amplifier market lost to competition.
Guitar wise, they are also dropping out of the race to companies that are listening to customers.
I think you summed it up perfectly if thats an insider, they just don't give a **** that they are losing out the market share.

Somewhere else... other companies that do give a **** are listening to customers and putting effort in to making what customers are asking them to produce.
Hence we now have 500 Watt+ bass rigs that not only work and sound great but fit in the boot of a Corsa or small hatchback with the bass and lead/effect bag.
My own deep feelings is one of somewhat sadness that they have got themselves in to such a mess that they are now a last option for bass amplifiers.

Edited by spacey

I enjoyed the documentary.

It's not going to be a problem for Marshall. Bass players are a minority, always have been. I'm pretty sure that the number of P and J basses of all price points and varieties which Fender sell is absolutely dwarfed by the number of Teles and Strats. I suspect sometimes that Gibson (bless 'em) only make basses because Fender do and they feel they ought to keep up appearances - and everyone knows what high esteem their bass products are held in by your average BCer ;) They're still here though, despite their best efforts to self destruct on a semi-regular basis.

I just checked and you can't even buy a bass guitar of any kind in Argos at the moment, and you used to be able to. We are truly invisible now. So, fellow bassists - you can sit on the highest horse you like, no-one will see you ;)

Great programme - taped it but ended up watching it anyway and really enjoyed it. Made me want to turn the gain up a bit afterwards, then remembered I don't own a Marshall d'oh....

Cool how a little back room workshop ended up churning out a real cornerstone of rock music. Good work folks!

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1417350596' post='2619362']
Where its a factor is staying in business.
Orange, Aguilar. Mark bass TC and plenty of others flying out of shops to bass players.
Marshall, nowhere to be seen, nobody really even bothers stocking them.

Now they have the Chinese links, but like anything British (Rover cars) they just can not get in to the 21st century.
Time has stopped and what should be a premium brand is now a range of out of date old school bass amps that really would be better scrapped, get some fresh blood and I have said this before, utilise tube drive pre-amp technology and wire it to a class D power amp and get back in the game.
Re-design the cabs, dump celestion speakers and use eminence top range, make smaller stuff, 1x12, 2x12, 2x10, make it all fit together and line up.

A real shame that they are no longer a option in the bass market, they need to have a coach trip out and go see and play the competitions amps and come back to the drawing board, but don't only see them, load them in and out of the types of cars musicians have, see how necessity now drives what we buy, gone are the days of band vans, it's what you can carry now in your car.
[/quote]

I loved the old Superbass heads. I also love Celestions. But then quite honestly I think most modern gear sounds like bollocks.

I've no issue with their bass gear whether it be new or old.

Sometimes I wonder if it'd be easier to sack all my current gear, buy an old JMP and a pair of old 15" Celestion loaded W-bins and an old Fender J.

Maybe as an alternative rig when I win the lottery then I wouldn't have to sack any of it.. ! :D

• 6 months later...