Why become a member? ×

Why Don't Guys Care About Their Appearance?

blue

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1417017264' post='2616176']
Sweeping generalisation. I speak for myself, and you can't do it for me. I have no interest in album covers. I look, sure, but it has zero influence on my opinion of the music. Videos are entertaining, arguably important, but I'm not talking about album art or videos in my response to the OP. I'm talking about appearance - personal appearance. Image. Clothing. Music does intersect with art, yes, but image does not influence my interest in a band or my enjoyment of their music. It is not important to me. That's what I'm saying.
[/quote]

I think you might be underestimating your subconscious.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1417030848' post='2616447']
How about movement on stage..? Left foot in, left foot out, Shadows style..? [...] Maybe everyone on stage should carry a permanent smile? [...] How about a little bow at the end of each number..?
[/quote]

You entirely forgot to mention giving a little wave to the audience from time to time. Not everyone in the band all at the same time, mind, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I lied earlier when I said I look like a sack of sh*t. This was to make everyone else feel a bit better about themselves. I actually look quite [i]fabulous[/i] on-stage; a total eye-magnet, if you like. :sun_bespectacled:
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1417035436' post='2616535']
I actually look quite [i]fabulous[/i] on-stage; a total eye-magnet, if you like. :sun_bespectacled:
[/quote]

Yeah, me too. I just bathe the whole place in the glorious light of my charisma and make sounds such as would be heard in heaven. :mellow:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1417035991' post='2616541']
Yeah, me too. I just bathe the whole place in the glorious light of my charisma and make sounds such as would be heard in heaven. :mellow:
[/quote]

In my case, not so much the latter. But that doesn't really matter since my band role is principally that of Gusset Moistener.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1417035436' post='2616535']You entirely forgot to mention giving a little wave to the audience from time to time...[/quote]

Now [i]that's[/i] over the top..! One can have too much of a good thing. 'Leave 'em wanting more' an' all that..!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1417034511' post='2616522']
Necessary, I think. If you're getting function band rates you need to look professional (and sound it obviously, but that's another thread).
[/quote]

But you don't have to all look the same in black or look like the bar staff...
I would say as long as you look smart..having said that, we've had drummers turn up to a
black tie looking like he had spent all day working under a tractor ( and he had ) which was NOT funny.

I do think you have to know what works where...or is acceptable, of course.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1417033651' post='2616510']
It has nothing to do with luck. I find it disappointing when people use being over 50 an excuse for being out of shape.
[/quote]

Agreed, I watch what I eat and I am fortunate to have a health club almost right next to my condo that I belong to.

Blue

I'm always looking for ideas and not afraid to push the wardrobe envelope.

I remember Les posted a pic of his band and they wore these cool band jackets. I asked him about them and ended up purchasing 2 of the jackets. I haven't gigged in it yet,I'm not sure I can pull it off

Thanks Les

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1417043628' post='2616644']
No, I know my own mind. Would people stop trying to tell me how to think?
[/quote]

Not disputing that, I was talking about the influences that you might not always see. Hence using the word subconscious.

I don't want to get in a slugging match, you clearly have your opinion on the subject. Thats cool.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1417078550' post='2616788']
It's widely accepted that the appearance of a plate of food influences how we perceive it's taste, so it stands to reason that the appearance of a band on stage will influence how we perceive the music.
[/quote]

And taste has a lot to do with smell, so...

[quote name='stingraybassman' timestamp='1417078233' post='2616782']

Not disputing that, I was talking about the influences that you might not always see. Hence using the word subconscious.

I don't want to get in a slugging match, you clearly have your opinion on the subject. Thats cool.
[/quote]

Thanks. I appreciate it :-)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1417083139' post='2616843']
Of course you need to take into account the gig but if you are doing a posh date in LOndon for good money, then
you make sure you wear proper shoes... even if you have to change into them.
Shoes tell you a lot ... :lol:
[/quote]

They do and they don't.

On my random sample of two ladies. One said she looks at shoes and if they're polished well you know the guy has a bit of pride in his appearance. The other one said no one looks at men's shoes.

It's all about knowing your audience or even potential audience.

For every punter who tells you you're a bit overdressed for a pub gig there'll be another one commenting on how smart you look compared to the regular bands who've not made an effort.

Which of these groups, if any, you are trying to impress depends on you.

If it's a posh gig and you dress as Blur then you don't turn up as Blur, you get changed into Blur costumes back stage, you do the gig, then you change out afterwards. Push hotels in the West End are slightly different because they have separate entrances for staff and it's unlikely you'll ever be front of house.

Edited by TimR

I could never understand a band I went to try out with... We didnt actually play anything much for 6 weeks because they focussed so hard on image. I left pretty sharply because I knew at that rate we'd end up like Black Veil Brides who have a great image but the shittiest music.

Personally I think the music comes first and then you can start to look at image.

Dont get me wrong, I think it is important to have a good image, because your image, band logos and hairstyles etc etc become your identity as a band. Part of the importance of image is to stand out and be remembered by the people who havent heard of you or seen you play before.

Take a look at Slipknot! They wear the masks etc and they have the most recognisable image for a band today. My colleagues at work who have no interest in music or dont like the rock/metal thing have all heard of Slipknot and I bet if you show most people a picture of them they could tell you who they are even if they havnt heard a song. Same again for Kiss.

Obviously they are the extreme ends of having an image but they are the proof to my point.