Why become a member? ×

Why Don't Guys Care About Their Appearance?

blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1417028187' post='2616383']
Yes.

Why isn't it important to them? As outlined in most of the posts it's fairly important to the audience.
[/quote]

Then the conclusion must be that they don't care about their audience.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1417028187' post='2616383']

Yes.

Why isn't it important to them? As outlined in most of the posts it's fairly important to the audience.
[/quote]

What level are we talking - does it really have any impact on anyone what your local pub band wears? I couldn't care less, really, and I'm into fashion and take great care in my own appearance. For functions and weddings and maybe originals bands appearance certainly does matter, but down your local, where everyone else is dressed casually, I can't see why anyone would have a problem with jeans or whatever.

For the band where each member works 40+ hours a week in an office and does the odd gig with a group of mates, who cares what they look like. They're musicians doing what they love for the evening.

Asking why someone wouldn't care is fairly odd, too. I'm sure we all do things others wouldn't, the way we talk or wear our hair or whatever.

Teachers or office managers shouldn't have tattoos or dyed hair either, I guess?

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1416993712' post='2615751']
Dress like you look like you're in a band. And dress like you're in the same band as the rest of your band.
[/quote]

That's great advice as long as the rest of the band dresses like their in a band. There are guys out there gigging right now that don't make that appearance connection with performance.

I try, but I have no guidance or help so, as they say; [i]" It is what it is"[/i]

Blue

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1416995697' post='2615776']
If they can play well, it really doesn't matter. Clothing taste is completely subjective anyway and your perspective skews as you get older. Notions of smart / scruffy are in the eye of the beholder.
[/quote]

I respectably disagree, for certain opportunities with bands, how well you play is not at the top of their requirements list. For some bands if you don't fit the image of the band, your not going to get an offer.

Blue

So why stop there..? If it's so important, surely the 'right' instrument should be played..? A spiky one for metal, an arch top for jazz gigs..? How about movement on stage..? Left foot in, left foot out, Shadows style..? Is that coming back..? Maybe everyone on stage should carry a permanent smile..? After all, it's what the audience expect of them, isn't it..? How about a little bow at the end of each number..? It didn't do the Beatles any harm in their day (although plenty of folks tutted at their more than collar-length hair. A real scandal...).
Back to Motown drainpipes and quiffs, y'all.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1416996759' post='2615794']
I don't care about my appearance, but I do wear T-shirts that fit

With my folk band, 3 of the other members feel that image is very important, and we've gone with the very creative style of "all black". I wear a black t-shirt and sometimes will bother with black trousers. All my jeans are blue and I've not been able to find a pair of black jeans for less than £20.
[/quote]

With respect, I have a question. If you don't care about your appearance why do you wear T-Shirts that fit? Why would that matter?

Blue

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1416999880' post='2615845']
For the 837th time I will state that nothing diminishes my interest in watching a band more than the jeans (or even worse shorts) and t shirt thing.
I don't really mind if they're ugly or look a bit weird or whatever. I just want my entertainers to look like they've made an effort rather than look like they've just strolled up from the bar.
[/quote]

+ 1

Now there is a small nuance to all this. I am mainly talking about older guys, let's say over 50. Young guys can get away with just about anything and still look cool.

Blue

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1417004295' post='2615915']
Nothing wrong with beards. My girlfriend doesn't like it when I shave it off. Maybe you're not doing it right Blue.
[/quote]

There is nothing wrong with beards, they look great. Do they look great on every guy? No they don't.

I can't grow a beard, I have next to nothing for facial hair.

Blue

Over here, it seems like once guys get over 50 they have to wear a fedora and a bowling shirt. Nothing wrong with it, however I think that look draws attention to your age or labels you as old. Even though I'm 61 I refuse to accept or tolerate that label.

Blue

[quote name='SolomonHelsing' timestamp='1417005906' post='2615958']
As far as the oversized t shirt thing is concerned, which is i'm guessing part of what you're getting at, Perhaps they feel really bloody uncomfortable in more "right size" t shirts.
I Certainly bloody feel self concious when i'm in a t shirt that's pretty fitted cause of my weight, so that's certainly not something i'd be comfortable wearing up on stage if it was a t shirt and jeans thing.
Same reason I get annoyed when I order a tshirt and it turns out to be XXL "Slim Fit" without the site saying the slim fit part WHAT THE HELL!

Though I have some ideas other than a t shirt to wear if/when I get a band together, which hopefully would look better than my t shirts.
I know they're not the "smartest" being oversized for me, but at least I feel comfortable around other people in them.
[/quote]

My point isn't really about T Shirts, more about, why do we have to look like a hobo or the other extreme. The guy that shows up for a gig after work wearing a button down Oxford Shirt dress pants and wing tips. ( if your in a jazz group, I'm sure that look is fine )

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1417031248' post='2616453']
I am mainly talking about older guys, let's say over 50. Young guys can get away with just about anything and still look cool.
[/quote]

The main difference being that guys over 50 tend to be, ah... more robust physically - and young guys can wear a burlap sack and still be cool. Which means we're really talking about using clothes as a damage-limitation exercise.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1417010009' post='2616026']
Comparing the two photos it's fairly clear to see what the difference is.

In the first picture the guys are wearing shapeless tshirts with no logos and nothing to break up the image. The band disappears into the background.

In Blue's band they're still wearing tshirts but they have slogans/images on, they're lighter colours and Blue and fellow musician have accessorised with jewelry.

It's more about thinking what kind of image are you trying to portray and have you made an effort to portray that image. Then getting some feedback as to whether you achieved that. Looking at photos etc.

Above all you have to be open to critisicm of your chosen look.

I've been in bands where we've spent ages discussing what to wear. I've found that if you have to discuss it, generally it's not going to work. The best looks are where one band member makes a descision and you all go off and wear something based on that theme.

Some people will then need a bit of guidance to achieve that theme but in general if someone has thought about what to wear, maybe gone out and bought something, and doesn't just turn up in what he's been wandering about in all day, it's a start.
[/quote]

Yeah it's a touchy subject, nothing I would want to bring up to a band member. Most guys [i]"get it"[/i] and do just fine.

Also it can be a regional thing, over here in the Midwest for a lot of people style and fashion are not important overall.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1416964076' post='2615643']
This reminds me of a recent encounter I had..

I ditched my last band, partly for musical reasons and partly for reasons of image. They all didn't really cut it IMHO.

I saw an ad from a drummer who was trying to get a band together. I responded and it seemed the drummer was a woman of mature years. No problem with this I arranged to meet up for a drink 'to discuss what we wanted to do' after all, no point in hiring a rehearsal studio if we have nowt in common.

I arrived on the night. She was in her 70s. Dressed in jeans, tight t-shirt, flat shoes and an Alice-band on her head. She had long grey hair, ragged in length and bald on top. No teeth and wearing large hoop earrings. She was also clearly a guy.

I have no problem with trans folk or any LGTB, but if I'm going to stand next to them on stage they need to be convincing and presentable.

I'm still not in a band.
[/quote]

Did he/she also drive a taxi in Royston Vasey?

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1417014473' post='2616108']
I'm sure this isn't the first thread I've seen on here about the clothes that people wear. Personally, I think it's a little wierd. :lol:

It does seem to me that the comparison pictures posted earlier really weren't that different.

The band in the first were obviously part of a scene where baggy, shapeless T-shirts are acceptable. The band in the second looked more like they hadn't made an effort to me, whether their T-shirts fitted better or not. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Respectfully disagree, the baggy T Shirt band happens to be a very good classic rock band and I would say that look is unacceptable. I'd never play with a local band with that look.

The second pic with T Shirts that fit, well were a blues / rock band and I'd say we far from great when it comes what we wear.

Also, at 61, I'm lucky that I can still wear fitted T-Shirts. :D

Blue

[i]"I usually pic out a few accessories jeans, t shirt and boots before every gig. Always have, ever since I started gigging 45 years ago."[/i]

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1417032093' post='2616470']
My point isn't really about T Shirts, more about, why do we have to look like a hobo or the other extreme. The guy that shows up for a gig after work wearing a button down Oxford Shirt dress pants and wing tips. ( if your in a jazz group, I'm sure that look is fine )

Blue
[/quote]
Yeah sorry afterwards I realized my post was more a rant about another point I guess and went off topic, my bad.

Yeah I do get what you mean, and now i'll be dropping out of this cause y'all seem to have it handled..

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1417033144' post='2616496']

Respectfully disagree, the baggy T Shirt band happens to be a very good classic rock band and I would say that look is unacceptable. I'd never play with a local band with that look.

The second pic with T Shirts that fit, well were a blues / rock band and I'd say we far from great when it comes what we wear.

Also, at 61, I'm lucky that I can still wear fitted T-Shirts. :D

Blue
[/quote]

It has nothing to do with luck. I find it disappointing when people use being over 50 an excuse for being out of shape.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1417030848' post='2616447']
So why stop there..? If it's so important, surely the 'right' instrument should be played..? A spiky one for metal, an arch top for jazz gigs..? How about movement on stage..? Left foot in, left foot out, Shadows style..? Is that coming back..? Maybe everyone on stage should carry a permanent smile..? After all, it's what the audience expect of them, isn't it..? How about a little bow at the end of each number..? It didn't do the Beatles any harm in their day (although plenty of folks tutted at their more than collar-length hair. A real scandal...).
Back to Motown drainpipes and quiffs, y'all.
[/quote]

I'm glad you referenced The Beatles.

Over here we liked their music, but we also liked;
[list]
[*]They way they dressed
[*]How they looked
[*]What they did
[*]What they said
[*]What they ate
[*]How they thought
[*]Where they went
[*]Who they were
[/list]
Just saying.

Blue

And unless you are in a fucntion band and can't come up with anything better, don't ALL wear black
or black trousers with a white shirt unless you want to be getting the drinks all night.

Our brief for a function is smart casual with a fitted shirt, we've not needed to say anymore than that..
Oh and FFS..no trainers.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1417034022' post='2616515']
And unless you are in a fucntion band and can't come up with anything better, don't ALL wear black
or black trousers with a white shirt unless you want to be getting the drinks all night.

Our brief for a function is smart casual with a fitted shirt, we've not needed to say anymore than that..
Oh and FFS..no trainers.
[/quote]

This was the main theme of the many long discussion nights we used to have.

I eventually managed to convince them that was the way forward. We never looked back. Individual, smart, casual, uniform. Simple.