Why become a member? ×

Why Don't Guys Care About Their Appearance?

blue

Am I now the old guy, like when my Dad ( from the WWII generation ) would rip on me for wearing blue jeans? Or is appearance on stage no longer important, not a priority for some, it's cool to look like this?

Would love to hear your opinion.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1416958288' post='2615595']

[/quote]

In my case, 'coz I'm f*ck ugly and it is therefore pointless.

There are men who care about their appearance, but they tend to be guitarists.

Jus' Sayin'

I don't think it's the jeans doing it. :D

I'm 50 and wear jeans.
Two guitarists I play with are 60 and (almost) 70 and wear jeans.

We are in the midst of the youngest 'older generation' we've ever seen.

Unfortunately, some people will always look like they've just been pulled through a hedge backwards regardless of whether they're wearing jeans or a Saville Row suit. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1416959601' post='2615607']

I'm 50 and wear jeans.
Two guitarists I play with are 60 and (almost) 70 and wear jeans.

We are in the midst of the youngest 'older generation' we've ever seen.

Unfortunately, some people will always look like they've just been pulled through a hedge backwards regardless of whether they're wearing jeans or a Saville Row suit. :)
[/quote]

I just have a hard time thinking any guy in a band, before a gig says; [i]"Let's see, what clothes do I have that don't fit."[/i]

Blue

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1416959601' post='2615607']

Unfortunately, some people will always look like they've just been pulled through a hedge backwards regardless of whether they're wearing jeans or a Saville Row suit. :)[/quote]

I think anyone can find a "look", but you have to at least make the attempt. I'm 61 and I show a lot of wear and tear, but I will at least find a T-Shirt that fits. :D

Now that I look at that pic, I think I've played that same gig on Lake Michigan. :D

Blue

Edited by blue

You're wearing t-shirts too.

Some T-shirts do look good on some people. Some people don't know this. Some people don't know recognise that they should never wear T-shirts.

The thing is many folk are not t-shirt shaped.

Edited by Grangur

This reminds me of a recent encounter I had..

I ditched my last band, partly for musical reasons and partly for reasons of image. They all didn't really cut it IMHO.

I saw an ad from a drummer who was trying to get a band together. I responded and it seemed the drummer was a woman of mature years. No problem with this I arranged to meet up for a drink 'to discuss what we wanted to do' after all, no point in hiring a rehearsal studio if we have nowt in common.

I arrived on the night. She was in her 70s. Dressed in jeans, tight t-shirt, flat shoes and an Alice-band on her head. She had long grey hair, ragged in length and bald on top. No teeth and wearing large hoop earrings. She was also clearly a guy.

I have no problem with trans folk or any LGTB, but if I'm going to stand next to them on stage they need to be convincing and presentable.

I'm still not in a band.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1416962847' post='2615639']
You're wearing t-shirts too.

Some T-shirts do look good on some people. Some people don't know this. Some people don't know recognise that they should never wear T-shirts.

The thing is many folk are not t-shirt shaped.
[/quote]

That's a good point, I really think some guys don't know and it goes beyond T-Shirts. A guy might think I'll grow a beard or a mustache and for some guys that can grow decent beards ( I have almost no facial hair ) and it will look great. But beards and mustaches don't look great on everyone. You would think that guy would have a wife, girlfriend that would say, "lose the beard".

Same with hair, there are guys with short hair that should wear it longer and guys with long hair that would look much better with shorter hair. And we have to give some stuff up, what looked good at 17 might not look so great at 61.

Hey, if my T-Shirt looks anything like the ones those guys are wearing, tell me and I won't wear it again. :D

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1416958288' post='2615595']
it's cool to look like this?

[/quote]

Well, no. Not really.

There's a British (and for all I know, American) expression which is 'Looking like a sack of sh*t tied up in the middle'. This is my daily resting state but in the event of some giggity action I will dress myself to convey the impression that looking like a sack of sh*t tied up in the middle is a calculated artistic decision rather than a lack of awareness or taste.

It's a bit like relicing, really. To look convincingly badly dressed you have to start off looking good then fine tune.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1416964076' post='2615643']

I ditched my last band, partly for musical reasons and partly for reasons of image. They all didn't really cut it IMHO.

I saw an ad from a drummer who was trying to get a band together. I responded and it seemed the drummer was a woman of mature years. No problem with this I arranged to meet up for a drink 'to discuss what we wanted to do' after all, no point in hiring a rehearsal studio if we have nowt in common.

I arrived on the night. She was in her 70s. Dressed in jeans, tight t-shirt, flat shoes and an Alice-band on her head. She had long grey hair, ragged in length and bald on top. No teeth and wearing large hoop earrings. She was also clearly a guy.

I have no problem with trans folk or any LGTB, but if I'm going to stand next to them on stage they need to be convincing and presentable.

I'm still not in a band.
[/quote]

Wow! that is extreme.

Blue

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1416964076' post='2615643']

I arrived on the night. She was in her 70s. Dressed in jeans, tight t-shirt, flat shoes and an Alice-band on her head. She had long grey hair, ragged in length and bald on top. No teeth and wearing large hoop earrings. She was also clearly a guy.[/quote]

Reminds me of a woman I met from match.com at Star Bucks. No smiley face, I'm serious.

Blue

I want to make it clear, I'm not trying to be pretentious or superficial. It's just that there have been times when a band is auditioning bass players, they have good gigs and sound good, then when I see their pics, I'm like,[i] "I can't do this"[/i]

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1416965033' post='2615647']
Wow! that is extreme.
[/quote]

You think? I've told this one before but you weren't here then, Blue, so any excuse...

I once auditioned a drummer. Guy in his thirties, long hair, bit of a stick insect, t-shirt, jeans, boots, etc. Great player, backing vox, the lot. His follow-up email afterwards said something on the lines of 'I've really got something to offer'.

Opening the image attachments I recoiled in horror at three pictures of him naked but for a ladies G-string, the last pic being aimed straight up what one might call the Mersey Tunnel.

He did not look cool.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1416968667' post='2615663']
Going back to your OP. I think some guys think that to look groomed looks "gay". They're so intent on looking what they think is "manly" that they fail on other grounds.
[/quote]

Yeah, I agree there are guys out there that think like that. The only flaw in their logic is, looking like a hobo doesn't necessarily mean looking manly.

Blue

I think guys do care, it's just that your opinion of what looks good is different to theirs.

Go up to the worst looking band you can find & offer them £10 to wear a three sizes too small lederhosen, a pair of clown shoes & a pink cowboy hat for their next gig - they'll all turn you down.

[size=4]The question should be '[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Why Don't [i]Some[/i] Guys Care About Their Appearance..?[/font][/color]
The simple answer would be: 'because it's not important to them.'
I'm one of them.[/size]

Edited by Dad3353

I don't care about my appearance, but I do wear T-shirts that fit

With my folk band, 3 of the other members feel that image is very important, and we've gone with the very creative style of "all black". I wear a black t-shirt and sometimes will bother with black trousers. All my jeans are blue and I've not been able to find a pair of black jeans for less than £20.