Why become a member? ×

Jaco The Movie - Pledgemusic!

spongebob

You wonder why they're doing this. Millionaire Robert Trujillo charging $2000 for an in-person lesson. Why bother? Doesn't say if this money is going to the Pastorius estate, it's not like he needs the money. I don't get it.

Really looking forward to the film, but some items in this auction seem at odds with the admirable sentiment that has driven Trujillo to bankroll and produce the film.

I really dislike the concept of Metallica inc bankrolling and thereby owning Jaco's legacy. I understand the commercial realities, and the wider recognition etc etc but I would rather listen to his work and enjoy his sound. Its nice to hear what his contemporaries thought, but I don't need to hear Hollywood style ravings from people who didn't know him. I hope I'm proved wrong...but I've got a bad feeling about the whole project.

It's made by the same people that made One Day in September, (and also Searching for Sugarman) so hopefully will just be a good film in it's own right, regardless of any views of Jaco.

Just hope the talking heads are people like Jerry Jemmott and Mike Stern, and not Stuart Maconie.

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1416926630' post='2615111']
Just hope the talking heads are people like Jerry Jemmott and Mike Stern, and not Stuart Maconie.
[/quote]
.....and no Jools 'Boogie-Woogie' Holland and Jamie Cullum please. That would be enough to make any Jaco fan launch his 1960s stacked knob, nitro finished, de-fretted, relic'd sunburst Fender Jazz Bass off the nearest cliff. :)

The trailer lists/shows a few names: Johnny Pastorius, Flea, Bootsy Collins, Geddy Lee, Santana, Ian Hunter, Nathan Watts, Peter Erskine, Wayne Shorter, Sting, Herbie Hancock.

I'm really looking forward to it - and have stumped up a wedge for the pledge.

good man toneknob. I understand the views that Metallica will 'own' a huge piece of Jaco rightly or wrongly, but Metallica are not business mogul monsters anymore. That time has passed , these days they are good guys and family men, I'm sure Rob (who has been a huge Jaco fan for years) will give this project the respect it deserves and with any luck it won't just be bass players that like it, the masses will catch on as well.

I am very interested even though I'm not a big Jaco fan and will definately buy the DVD

[quote name='Bassjon' timestamp='1416998004' post='2615816']
good man toneknob. I understand the views that Metallica will 'own' a huge piece of Jaco rightly or wrongly, but Metallica are not business mogul monsters anymore. That time has passed , these days they are good guys and family men, I'm sure Rob (who has been a huge Jaco fan for years) will give this project the respect it deserves and with any luck it won't just be bass players that like it, the masses will catch on as well.

I am very interested even though I'm not a big Jaco fan and will definately buy the DVD
[/quote]

I don't know about the business intent of Metallica, but RT's enthusiasm and long-term respect and admiration for JP is obvious from the youtube clips I've seen relating to the project. Teamed with the producers behind Sugarman, I've got high hopes.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1417124295' post='2617364']
I suppose it all depends on what else you want to spend £27 on.

I think i'll wait a few months after it's release and is available for under a fiver. :)
[/quote]

Pretty sure it wasn't £27. It was like £15 which is kind of average for a movie. I wouldn't have spent £27 on it.

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1417193570' post='2618099']
If Trujillo needs to raise funds simply sell the 'Bass of Doom', sorted.

I'm surprised it's not in the Fender museum already.
[/quote]

Not money, given Trujillo's current job. I guess it's the PR machine trying to get the movie social shares..

Hope Trujillo will be donating the bass somewhere public at some stage soon.

The Bass of Doom is alive and well. Trujillo has even used it on stage and Felix Pastorius recorded with it on the latest Yellowjackets album.
I can imagine it might make an appearance in the Jaco movie as it is now. Remember it was re-built/ veneered after Jaco trashed it on stage.
Some people own othe basses used by Jaco. I think one of his fretted jazz basses sold at auction in recent years for around $12500.

• 1 month later...