Why become a member? ×

Do you take a backup bass to gigs?

elom

I've always taken a backup bass with me to gigs - just in case.

However I've never had so much as a string break. Talking to Mark (poptart) at Bass Direct HQ last week he was saying that he only ever gigs with one bass and has never broken a string in many years of playing. Then reading BGM this evening I notice in the Jeff Berlin article that [i]he[/i] only ever has one bass too.

All this gets me thinking, I am being over-cautious? Should I just stick a spare set of strings in the bag and re-string if the worst happens? It would certainly be more convenient not to have to carry a 2nd bass on gigs.

Would be interested to know what the rest of you guys do.

cheers

elom

Never yet taken a spare bass (Precisions always so far though - so very little to go wrong) to a gig.
I always have a spare set of strings and some tools though.

I reckon it's more likely I'd have amp problems - but I don't take a spare amp either.
If it blew, I'd just have to play through the PA...

I always have a back up but you really can't argue with Stewart's logic. I carry a DI in case the rig goes pop which is more likely.

I have seen quite a few string breaks over the years though fortunately never my own.

I've never taken a spare bass or amp to a gig, it's just extra hassle really! A more useful option would be to take some basic tools (soldering iron, pliers, screwdriver etc) and if something goes wrong you have most of your bases covered, bar a freak accident! As has been said above, you can always just DI to the PA if your amp fails too.

The bassist from a support band knocked over my 5-string at a gig about 10 years ago and broke a piece of the nut. I had to play his horrible precision chinese copy which was akward as I was relly used to the 5-string at the time. Since then, I've always brought a spare bass and put it behind the cab. Had an Epiphone EB-3 as backupon Saturday. Never taken spare amp though.

[quote]I've never taken a spare bass or amp to a gig, it's just extra hassle really! A more useful option would be to take some basic tools (soldering iron, pliers, screwdriver etc) and if something goes wrong you have most of your bases covered, bar a freak accident! As has been said above, you can always just DI to the PA if your amp fails too.[/quote]

+1

I keep an old set of strings or two in my bag. If a string goes I could get another on and tuned in less than 5, I also carry a DI box incase the amp goes pop.

[quote name='acidbass' post='254963' date='Aug 5 2008, 12:01 AM']I've never taken a spare bass or amp to a gig, it's just extra hassle really! A more useful option would be to take some basic tools (soldering iron, pliers, screwdriver etc) and if something goes wrong you have most of your bases covered, bar a freak accident! As has been said above, you can always just DI to the PA if your amp fails too.[/quote]

+1 Couldn't agree more, anything more than just 1 bass is more effort than it's worth, I've broken a string once in 15+ years of gigging. Few absic tools and a set of spare strings are all you need, and if it's something that can't be fixed/botched for the gig (which has never happened to me) then I guess it's just not meant to be.

With spare strings I always carry a used set around with me, as putting one brand new string on sounds really funny next to your played in strings.

I normally take 12 or so basses to gigs - I've got a chap with a van to drive them there, clean 'em, set them up etc....!

Nah! I wish! Normally two (normally the Arpege and Passion) but if its a big corporate job with a big stage, I sometimes take 4 or 5, just in case there are any other bass players there! Invariably they give you dirty looks whilst trying to dance with their bird but come over all nice during the break! `Nice Viggeeers mate' (note hard `g's)- Actually son, you pronounce it `Vijjeeair'. `Can I 'ave a go?' No.

In 26 years of playing, I've never bust a string - pulled one through the bridge of my Hohner Arbor fretless once! Had very small ball ends (ooer!)

At one point years ago I was dragging 3 around, but not as spares as they were fretted 4 & 8 strings & fretless 4. But the 8 & the fretless were only really there for one number each (okay and for show even though they were nothing special) so more & more the 8 & f'less got left at home and eventually sold.

Then spent a good 15 (if not 20) years only owning one bass so there was no contest - and as it was the Wal after the conversion when my TE combo was playing up & cutting out in gigs I just used to have a cannon lead handy on stage so I could plug the bass straight into the desk - and pretty damn good it sounded :huh:

When I got the 5 last year I started taking the Wal along as spare, but some gigs are tight on space so it is now in semi retirement and I just take the G&L.

So to sum up that ramble, for the vast majority I have either never had the option, or if I did never seen the need, and so far as I can remember have never broken a string. A spare set of strings against the off chance, a small toolbox & a supply of PP3's does me.

Now wait for the next "how was your gig" report when that all comes home to roost :)

one bass in a soft gigbag. cable. some of the old strings i took off when i last changes strings. shove it in the back of the megabus and away we go.
i turned up to [url="http://www.artschooldance.com/"]this project[/url] without a cable, or the keyboardest did and stole mine!

(my old band are the forth band on the trailer. think pop and we stand out!)

I usually take at least a couple of basses (in rotation) if only to give them an airing! They start sulking otherwise! :huh:
That said, it depends which band I'm going out with. My function/covers band - I usually take my Stingray 5 and Fender Jazz and will normally play a set with each. For further sets, I'll pick either depending what's being played, though if I were to pick just one bass to go out with it would be the Stingray 5 for the low B - and because it's simply a brilliant 'all-rounder' bass!! :)
I also play in a Prog rock band and usually take three basses for specific numbers - Stingray 5, Tune TWB-6 and Stingray 4 fretless.

I try and take a backup if I can. Sometimes things outside my control can occur and I'd rather have that option if I can. People have mentioned strings breaking, but, unlikely as it may be, things can go wrong with electronics. I'd rather just swap over and not waste anybody's time rather than frantically trying to sort out a problem that arises.

I don't have a spare amp and it would usually be impractical to take one, though I do have a Sansamp, which would get used anyway, in addition to my amp. My guitarist also has a Little Mark II, which he sometimes brings along as a back up.

Never took two basses, but i'm glad a had a spare lead once - At the Hard Rock Cafe, Manchaester, the drummer 'fell' over my amp as he was getting out from his kit and bent the plug into my amp.
It wasn't until about half way through the second set and then the bass started cutting out. i'm there frantically trying to twiddle knobs to get some sound back....nightmare! in the end i just changed the lead and its been fine since.
The drummer has since stood on the guitarists new forty quid elixir cable and bent it. Its not failed mid gig yet....
The guitarist always takes a spare guitar tho....

Edited by ianwild16

I won't go anywhere without an extra bass, I've had strings go on stage a couple of times (waits for 'bad technique' comments :huh:), and since we're always in the van when we're gigging, it's no big deal to carry one about.

It did used to be a pair of Stingrays, but I can pretend it's for different tones and versatility now I've got my Sandberg. Nobody will ever suspect that it's just for showing off :)

For 30 years I only ever had one bass (but took spare strings, strap, soldering iron etc ) The worst thing that ever happened was a sharp bit of bridge breaking D strings every gig 'til I sorted it. Never ever had a bass break down, or and amp, actually.

But now I have a double gig bag the spare strings, fast fret, cloths, etc are in that so it's easier to take that than to mess about move everything over to a single case each gig. So both Shukers (and the upright) go to my main band gigs.

+1 on them sulking if they don't get some exercise too ... odd that ...

Depping gigs I just take one.

if i'm with the classic rock / NWOBHM band, i'll take my two Dean metalmans, and possibly my machine gun, if i'm at church, it'll be my us P, with poss my Jap p lyte (depending on the age of the strings on the us), and with the alt / industrial band, it'll be a dean metalman, ibanez 5, and possibly a p lyte back up.
i've rarely had breakage on stage, but if it's going to go, it's always at the wrong time! Since i'm a really heavy player, i need to have spares!

[quote name='OldGit' post='255078' date='Aug 5 2008, 09:21 AM']But now I have a double gig bag the spare strings, fast fret, cloths, etc are in that so it's easier to take that than to mess about move everything over to a single case each gig. So both Shukers (and the upright) go to my main band gigs.[/quote]

+1 on the double gig bag.

I've had my (lovely) Levy's double gig bag for years now and it's always been the same effort to lug two basses to a gig as it has with one.

In terms of a "spare", not so important for me as having a tonal alternative. I know it sounds a bit extravagant but it's nice to simply have the options of a differing sounding bass if I fancy a change.

However, guess if I didn't have the double bag, I'd probably only take the one for the "less grief" vibe.

T