Why become a member? ×

The cost of a Fodera. Worth it?

thebassist

I had a similar experience to a few people, thought they looked great, understood that they're boutique and high-end, but never played one that made me go "oh wow"............until last week.
As someone else mentioned in the thread, I got surprised by a Fodera that I just didn't want to put down, it made me want to play more than I already did!
That's the point where you go, "I'd actually pay this money for this bass"!

Si

I've just been to Bass San Diego in.....errr ... San Diego.
I played a $6K Emporer Std 5 fretless, a $10K Monarch custom 4, a $6K Monarch Yin Yang std and a $12K Imperial custom 6.

They were all beautiful instruments and the fretless was the best I've ever played BUT the one that felt the best and sounded incredible was the Yin Yang Standard.
The monarch custom was $3K more and certainly the wood was stunning but that extra cash added nothing to playability.

I would have one tomorrow and I'm looking at some Yin Yang 5's that are due in the spring.

Edited by woodster

I am reminded of a conversation that I once had with Phil from Bass gear about Fodera. He said that he has had several people tell him that they thought that Foderas were overpriced and how could any bass cost that much. He then got them to sit down and actually play one for a bit and then they actually got why you might consider buying one. Apparently, on more than one occasion someone had then gone away and sold all their basses to fund the purchase of the Fodera they had just played.

I think that the point of these types of high end basses, once you get past the fancy woods, is the playability. If there is something that you can almost play on a fender, you might find that you can execute it cleanly on a Fodera. I think that is the real justification of thinking of spending that much on a real high end bass...

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1415969731' post='2605691']
...That body looks like Snoopy with his mouth open!
[/quote]
Oh ... cr@p !!!

[quote name='woodster' timestamp='1416155878' post='2607410']
...the one that felt the best and sounded incredible was the Yin Yang Standard.
[/quote]
yep, ..reminds me of my first trip to Bass Gear

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1416190334' post='2607824']
Apparently, on more than one occasion someone had then gone away and sold all their basses to fund the purchase of the Fodera they had just played.

[/quote]

Dammit.......I'm stereotype :P

Si

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1416190334' post='2607824']
I am reminded of a conversation that I once had with Phil from Bass gear about Fodera. He said that he has had several people tell him that they thought that Foderas were overpriced and how could any bass cost that much. He then got them to sit down and actually play one for a bit and then they actually got why you might consider buying one. Apparently, on more than one occasion someone had then gone away and sold all their basses to fund the purchase of the Fodera they had just played.

I think that the point of these types of high end basses, once you get past the fancy woods, is the playability. [b]If there is something that you can almost play on a fender, you might find that you can execute it cleanly on a Fodera[/b]. I think that is the real justification of thinking of spending that much on a real high end bass...
[/quote]
Isn't this simply a case of one manufacturer putting a lot more effort into final setup than the other?

You can DIY the basic trussrod and bridge saddles to get a playable setup on most instruments, but a skilled luthier who is at the top of their game can really work wonders perfecting the playability of an instrument given sufficient time to get the work done to a high standard - how many mass produced instruments ever get this sort of attention?

Up until very recently Fodera worked with the buyer to determine what they wanted, how they wanted the bass to sound, etc., and built a one off (every single one) to the customer's order. That alone lowers the chance of getting a 'Fodera sound', as literally every one of them was a one off customer order. It is only very recently (last 3 years, maybe?) that they have started producing the Standard line to lower the cost of their basses by making them in small batches with identical specs. So, unlike Smith, for example, they had 27 of their 30 years of existence making one offs only.

Edited by jim777

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1416000289' post='2606128']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjjgH6m57O0[/media]
[/quote]

Lovely-looking bass... but if you just listen to it rather than watching, it sounds very like a Fender (or cloned) J bass with both pickups full-on.

To my ears, anyway. :blush:

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1416234389' post='2608122']

Dammit.......I'm stereotype :P

Si
[/quote]
I guessed that might be the case when I saw you selling off some basses (I quite fancied the s/b jazz)!
[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1416238669' post='2608174']

Isn't this simply a case of one manufacturer putting a lot more effort into final setup than the other?

You can DIY the basic trussrod and bridge saddles to get a playable setup on most instruments, but a skilled luthier who is at the top of their game can really work wonders perfecting the playability of an instrument given sufficient time to get the work done to a high standard - how many mass produced instruments ever get this sort of attention?
[/quote]
I think that it goes beyond the basic factory set-up (although a good set up always helps)...

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1416225821' post='2608019']
Apparently, and this is just what a good friend and former owner of TWO Foderas (!) said, one thing that all that cash doesn't buy you is customer care. He said it's terrible!
[/quote]

Depends how far back he's going. Since Jason arrived as a partner in the business in 2009 manage the 'front of house' operation their customer service has been impeccable.

Of all the bass companies I deal with, both as a customer and a retailer, no-one else has their response times and they are just so knowledgeable as well.

I wonder if their front of house team ever sleeps. . .

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1415662098' post='2602581']
Yes, Leo certainly did get it right with the Jazz, but the Jazz sound is just as much a signature sound (or set of 3 signature sounds, to be more precise) as the Ken Smith sound. And the same is true of the Precision sound, and the Stingray sound, and many others.

For me, all the truly great, iconic basses/bass builders have a signature sound - Fender, Music Man, Alembic, MTD, Rickenbacker, Ken Smith, Wal, Warwick, etc. etc., … but Fodera? Nah. This is where Fodera fall short, in my view. Sure, they look incredible (if a bit bling for some tastes) and their playability is second to none, but they don't have a characterful or distinctive enough sound to make me want to spend lots of money on them. Too vanilla for my ears! OTOH, that may be one of the reasons why they are so popular with many pro players, who might be after something that has a very transparent and versatile sound palette, and fair enough. But I prefer a bit more sonic character in a bass, and Foderas simply don't do it for me in that department.

Oops sorry, straying a bit off topic! Are they worth it? As others have said already above, yes of course they are worth it to anyone who wants one and can afford one. But I reckon skej21's analysis at post #28 above may well be correct as well - i.e. the prices simply reflect the fact that this is what it costs to do what Fodera do.
[/quote] the comment about sound is an interesting one... If I think of some of the big makes which seem propular with pro players, the "character" seems reasonably vanilla - Overwater are another good example I think - great bass tone, but it doesn't stand out characterfully - which I kinda think is the point
[quote name='molan' timestamp='1415753389' post='2603528']
In answer to the original question - it would definitely seem that some people think so.

We've had a 'run' on them at the shop since this thread started and we have sold a new Emperor Standard 5, a pre-owned Emperor Custom 4, sorted an order for a new Matt Garrison Standard 5 and it looks like an Emperor Custom 5 is going through as well!
[/quote] I like the look of that Monarch Standard Special... and it's my 30th coming up.... staying away from your shop!!!!
[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1416065326' post='2606545']
I am very close with everyone at Fodera. They are worth the money. You see them more and more now in better players hands. They are the Bugati of basses.

But what you may not realize is that what you get is a piece of bass history. Vinny Fodera worked for Stu Spector with Ned Steinberger when they were all starting out. Vinny and Stu did all the early prized NS-2 basses. Then Vinny through Stu did ALL of the early Ken Smith production. After that they did their own. I know the person who owns Fodera #2 (which is bass #1) and I have played it. Still perfect 30 years later.

So you are getting a hand carved, custom bass made of the finest wood selection on the east coast if not the whole US made by the two guys who have been part of what bass players would call the royalty of makers. Sort of like a Da Vinci if you will of basses. I have spent lots of time watching Vinny at work. Few luthiers spend as much time and care carving necks.

Does a Ferrari do anything different then a Fiat when driving across London? No. Both are cars and will get you there on time. But it's the feel and detail of the Ferrari that sets itself apart from the rest.

As an old guy I have some "players" like my vintage Danelectros that are fun to play, sound just fine and I don't worry about taking to the bad part of town. But the J. Backlund Design custom JBD-800B bass I own is just like butter and EVERY player I know who tries it refuses to put it down. ($4000 USD). The finer things are just that. Finer things. Does my $300 bottle of single malt get me better drunk then my $10 bottle of blended? Of course not. But it sure is smoother and makes me savor the experience.

Same for a Fodera. If you buy one tell Joey, Vinny, Laura and Jason I sent you.

Tom
[/quote]
on a random note if you want to use a "great artist" to compare Fodera to then Di Vinci is not the best example - I guess the boys at Fodera actually finsih some commissions sometimes!
[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1416091768' post='2606896']
I had a similar experience to a few people, thought they looked great, understood that they're boutique and high-end, but never played one that made me go "oh wow"............until last week.
As someone else mentioned in the thread, I got surprised by a Fodera that I just didn't want to put down, it made me want to play more than I already did!
That's the point where you go, "I'd actually pay this money for this bass"!

Si
[/quote] and suddenly your sale threads make sense!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1416296750' post='2608700']

and suddenly your sale threads make sense!
[/quote]

Haha, exactly.......so plllleeeaaasseeee buy something ;)

Has to be said, when we were trying to sort it out, the guys at Fodera were replying to us on Saturday & Sunday, not many companies can say they do that :)

Si

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1416242939' post='2608229']
Lovely-looking bass... but if you just listen to it rather than watching, it sounds very like a Fender (or cloned) J bass with both pickups full-on.

To my ears, anyway. :blush:
[/quote]

I have to say I agree - if that's a signature sound, it's pretty generic. On the other hand, the playing doesn't exactly showcase the sound - I played the first minute, then skipped to near the end - does he just keep doing the same thing all the way through? :unsure:

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1416337459' post='2609198']
...the playing doesn't exactly showcase the sound - I played the first minute, then skipped to near the end - does he just keep doing the same thing all the way through? :unsure:
[/quote]

That's what I did. It basically reinforces my view that the bass is not a solo instrument...

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1416336970' post='2609195']
What you ordering?
[/quote]

Matt Garrison Standard :)

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1416337459' post='2609198']

I have to say I agree - if that's a signature sound, it's pretty generic. On the other hand, the playing doesn't exactly showcase the sound - I played the first minute, then skipped to near the end - does he just keep doing the same thing all the way through? :unsure:
[/quote]

To be fair, that's just Vic performing at a gear show, probably for a bunch of fawning bass players I imagine. He's the first person to state that it's just 'fireworks', and whilst it partly pays his bills, he's perfectly aware if what it is (or isn't) :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1416345531' post='2609320']
ACGs are their own thing, no point comparing them. They're fantastic, and whilst you can order a similar spec, it won't feel or sound like a Fodera, which is a good thing.
I should know, I own a 33" singlecut ACG lol

Si
[/quote]

Great diplomatic answer. You're going to need a bucket load of those to help you bat away the countless Fodera haters lol!

Oh I don't care about someones opinion on a brand :). If a bass feels and sounds great to its owner, its worth it.
There's bound to be plenty of people who don't understand me hating Rickenbackers......but nor should that opinion have any effect on anyone else, if it does, that's their problem ;)

Si