Why become a member? ×

NBD - Charvel/Jackson Surfcaster Bass

wingnutkj

I have always loved the look of these basses (and their guitar equivalents, for that matter), but given their rarity, figured I'd never actually get my hands on one. Then, last week, I was idly looking on eBay to see if I could find any nice semi-hollow basses (Gretsch-style). This came up in the search, and it was one of those "oh baws, I'm going to HAVE to bid on it" moments of GAS. I won the auction and a box promptly turned up...

Charvel/Jackson launched the Surfcaster guitar in the early '90s - they also did a bass and a 12-string guitar. It's a departure from their usual widdlywiddly super-strats, and I guess it was an attempt to buy into the emergent alternative/grunge/indie scenes with styling cues from the decidedly NOT widdly-widdly super-strat guitars favoured by those bands.

It's not really semi-hollow - there's a bit of a chamber beneath the shark-fin f-hole but not much. It's got a lovely flame top, binding all round, balances well, shallow neck somewhere between J and P width.

So far I've not had a chance to play it much other than to confirm the electrics work - lipstick pickups, volume, tone, pickup-selector switch, and a toggle on the tone pot which apparently gives phase switching options.

Made in Japan, and fits nicely with my other alt-rock oddity from that era - my Squier Vista Venus guitar (Courtney Love signature edition).

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1414696199' post='2592431']
Beautiful! Grog from Die So Fluid used to play one of these with Feline back in the day.
[/quote]

Years back, I saw her brandishing a black Surfcaster bass on the cover of Bassist magazine, and that's probably the main reason for the lingering GAS. If I remember right, I saw that actual bass come up for sale, either here or on eBay, but had no spare cash at the time.

Nice find! I've always wanted one too.
I bought a Charvel Surfcaster semi acoustic in 1993, my first 'proper' bass. I still have it and would never part with it, in fact I played my first ever gig on it!
Playing my Surfcaster unplugged has such an amazing tone, it has been my life's mission in a way to find an electric that sounds like it but amplified (the eq on my bass never came close unfortunately). I always wondered if an electric Surfcaster would be it. Really well made and designed basses (the fixed unadjustable rosewood bridge on mine is still pretty much in perfect intonation 21 years later!), mine is a joy to play.
Congratulations on a great find and well done!

I hate you for reminding me that I need one.

;)