Why become a member? ×

Gibson 'New for 2015' offerings. Sigh.

NancyJohnson

I agree that this new on is not the best looking 'Bird that Gibson have ever done. I don't understand why they don't do the chrome pickup covers any more, and why they don't offer a few more finishes. When discussion about Gibson basses comes up, someone always points out that their bass sales are a tiny percentage of their guitar sales, as if that excuses their poor offerings, but the way I look at it, maybe the poor offerings are the reason for the poor sales.

Personally, I wouldn't own another T'Bird, as they just didn't sound right for me. I'm not a fan of the way that SG and LP basses look, so I wouldn't go for one of those either. I don't know what else they currently make but I think that in terms of what I have seen in the past, the only Gibson instrument I would be interested in would be an ES-type hollow instrument, similar to the Jack Cassidy, but I would really like more than one pickup. Think Guild Starfire sort of thing.

[quote name='happynoj' timestamp='1412239696' post='2566972']
the only Gibson instrument I would be interested in would be an ES-type hollow instrument, similar to the Jack Cassidy, but I would really like more than one pickup. Think Guild Starfire sort of thing.
[/quote]

So, the Gibson ES-335 Bass then? http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_es_335_bass_fc.htm

[quote name='happynoj' timestamp='1412239696' post='2566972']
... someone always points out that their bass sales are a tiny percentage of their guitar sales...
[/quote]
[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1412242859' post='2567015']
I see the 2015 T-bird is retailing at a squid under £1900 on pre-order.
[/quote]
Gasp indeed. I can't possibly think of a connection here! :D

Edited by Norris

At least the basses have escaped the AWFUL Min-Etune which comes as standard on nearly every Gibson guitar model in 2015. Such a poor quality, needless bit of design and you void the ENTIRE warranty if you choose to replace them with standard machine heads. Just crazy.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1412241284' post='2566994']
So, the Gibson ES-335 Bass then? [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_es_335_bass_fc.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...335_bass_fc.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Yeah, but not for that price! To be honest, if I was going to buy a hollowbody I would get a Warwick Star bass. Got to keep up the fanboi-ness!

[quote name='happynoj' timestamp='1412288884' post='2567644']
Yeah, but not for that price! To be honest, if I was going to buy a hollowbody I would get a Warwick Star bass. Got to keep up the fanboi-ness!
[/quote]

You never mentioned a budget ;)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1412250622' post='2567133']
At least the basses have escaped the AWFUL Min-Etune which comes as standard on nearly every Gibson guitar model in 2015. Such a poor quality, needless bit of design and you void the ENTIRE warranty if you choose to replace them with standard machine heads. Just crazy.
[/quote]

Just to show two sides to any idea, I love my Min-Etune. Works excellently and is bullet proof so far.

Nope, not for me. Think i'll just find a T-Bird body on eBay/here, spray it metallic blue, stick a Maple P neck on it, stick a badass bridge/chrome pick guard on it and go from there. Not expecting Gibson to offer that as an option but seriously, they need to offer more than "sunburst thunderbirds" to us bassists.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1411865649' post='2563433']
I'm just not happy with the set neck joint on 80% of their models... I'd be happy to pay for gibson electronics, but I think I'd put them in someone elses body, namely one with an upper horn to remove neckdive, and a bolt on neck to allow shimming / shaving to get it all working prefectly.
[/quote]

My basses are all neck-through. Somehow they all manage to work properly without shimming and shaving.

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1412756362' post='2571578']
Excuse my ignorance, as I've no first-hand experience of Gibson's and Thunderbird's but can't you get so much more for £1,900 when looking elsewhere?
[/quote]

I have many years experience of Gibson, and I am struggling to understand the logic of going from a year of unprecedented, frankly ridiculous affordability to a year of disproportionate price hiking.

What I will say is that while I struggle to understand it, I am not surprised by it. Gibson go through phases of doing well then shooting themselves in the foot every few years. They're, quite frankly, bonkers - and I'm not ashamed to admit that it's part of the charm ;)

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1412756362' post='2571578']
Excuse my ignorance, as I've no first-hand experience of Gibson's and Thunderbird's but can't you get so much more for £1,900 when looking elsewhere?
[/quote]

And again the naive idea that one bass is a substitute for another.

If you want a Thunderbird shaped instrument with through neck construction then the Gibson is pretty much the only choice. There are alternative if it's just the body shape that appeals, but apart from maybe the Lull T-Bass none of them capture all the things that makes a Gibson Thunderbird what it is.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1412761807' post='2571655']
Do Gibson capture all the things that makes a Gibson Thunderbird what it is?
[/quote]

Not on anything made after 1979 IMO. Although swapping out the pickups for Lulls or Thunderbuckers and replacing the 3-point bridge with the Badbird 2-part bridge and tailpiece might get you close.

It's interesting - I've been playing for decades and have never used a Gibson bass apart from once on a weird SG shaped thing (an EBO?) which was a bit odd if I remember correctly. What are the attractions? The Thunderbird is a great shape - what's it like to play?

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1412762716' post='2571673']
It's interesting - I've been playing for decades and have never used a Gibson bass apart from once on a weird SG shaped thing (an EBO?) which was a bit odd if I remember correctly. What are the attractions? The Thunderbird is a great shape - what's it like to play?
[/quote]

Mine are dated late 90s on. They all weigh next to nothing, the necks on mine are all pretty skinny, the stock bridge is poop. Tonally, and in all honesty they sound okay straight into an amp, but dreamy when I use a Sansamp as my front end. I really don't see balance issues as a problem. It's all pretty good. If you're local to me (Reading) you're most welcome to pop over and have a go.
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1412762716' post='2571673']
The Thunderbird is a great shape - what's it like to play?
[/quote]
Mine's a modern one (2004) but the ergonomics are pretty similar.

Due to the positioning of the strap button behind the neck heel (standard on new basses, common anti-dive modification on older ones), the bass tends to sit an inch or two to the left of where any other bass naturally hangs. This means you tend to play with a straighter left arm, and you should not try to play with the bass hanging too low if you want to avoid tendinitis. It's a l-o-n-g bass and with the strap offset it requires you to watch out for low hanging cymbals/keyboards/mic stands/band members! The strap button position also tends to tilt the top of the bass forwards slightly so you can't see the fretboard.

On my bass the neck is very thin - a joy to play if you like that kind of thing, although the string spacing is fairly close. A lot of people seem to have an issue with the bizarre 3-point bridge; personally I have no issues with it, but then I'm a finger player and don't need a "picking rest". The rich tone (on Gibsons) is gorgeous, although it doesn't do "squeaky clean" ime.

Having said all that, the feeling you get from standing on stage with it round your neck is like no other bass. You become taller, your stance gets a little wider, you are just goddam sexier!

I found a 2014 (or was it 2013?) EB the other day, and gave it a try. One of these:

It was a funny thing. It was so light that it almost flew out of my hand when I picked it up and the faded finish made it feel like it was made of plastic. Now don't get me wrong, I love Gibson's faded range (I have 2 faded guitars) and maybe it works well on mahogany, but on ash it looks like an oil spill. Actually playing it wasn't too bad, it wasn't neck heavy and the light weight and warm finish made it feel quite comfy. Sound was average, but I'm not surprised Gibson don't sell many basses when you see what else is offered at this price range. I was a little underwhelmed.