Why become a member? ×

Livin' on a Prayer

JamesBass

Has anyone else ever found this to be a very hard song to learn and play with other people?

I've been learning it with a Uni band for a performance a week on wednesday, I've only been learning it since the Thursday just gone and have played it through with the band about 5 times, however each time the tempo changes markedly in my mind, and the riffs get harder and harder to play. I'm barely able to play it through on my own at home as it feels like there are some strange accents on the runs?

I played it a couple of times in my last band.
I think it's one of those songs that everything has to be spot on. Not easy IMHO .

Mr. Vocals probably has the hardest job on that one. Even if tuned down ;)
I preferred doing it's my life

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1410793236' post='2553192']
As it 'appens, I've just had a quick listen to it today 'cos I'm playing it at a couple of deps I have coming up.

As long as the drummer lays it down and keeps the tempo reigned in, I can't really hear anything difficult about it..?

Which bits are you referring to?
[/quote]
Was mainly the verse/prechrous changes, I keep counting it as C for 1&2 then D &3&4& etc. the drummers fills so far have seemed sloppy, same as the guitarist changing late, as I count it that is!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1410787855' post='2553103']
Has anyone else ever found this to be a very hard song to learn and play with other people?

[/quote]

That is because a lot of bands make such a pigs ear of it. It is driving and pulse all the way through
with little or no let-up. If you listen to Torres now, he is almost lazy on the beat which they make work
but if your drummer can't keep that going properly, you'll be chasing it with the bass riff line which is what makes
it hard going so often. Just hope the crowd will sing it for you so may not notice :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1410820438' post='2553661']
pretty much what everyone else has said its down to the drums to keep it driving. I dep for a jovi tribute band so know the song note for note

feel free to give me a pm if you'd like some help with it

chris
[/quote]
Cheers Chris, but after working on it for a long time yesterday I feel I've got it nailed as I'm able to play it with a click and the original track. I just hope the drummer does too!

We've been doing this in the set for a few weeks and it goes down a storm. Us being us , though , it's def. had the Doc Blue treatment which , in a nutshell , involves the song being paid total respect but the original arrangement/version of it being paid no respect at all. we start it off as a solo guitar/vocal ballad to get the punters warmed up then kick it in with the hammer down after the first verse/bridge. We've also altered the structure around the guitar solo - at least I think we have because I've not listened to the original enough to be sure. I do play the verse riff because it's so recognisable ( and a piece of piss to play). We changed the key to suit our voices and it took me a few tries to get the vocal and bassline going together but not any worse than any other song really. The really high vocal in the chorus isn't a problem - I just sing a lower harmony and let the punters do it ! Why have a dog and bark yourself ? !

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1410810698' post='2553514']
As with most tracks, if the singer can not sing it in the keys its in, best binned.
[/quote]
Fair play to you if it works for your band but that's he wrong way round for me. Whoever sings gets first dibs at the key on any song. Guitarist's second and bass last. I've got dozens of notes under my fingers as a bassist so why would I give a toss bass wise? We've even based keys on what our drummer wants because he sings too. Why do you think the original's in the key it's in? Because the singer asked for it to be , simple as that.

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1410871346' post='2554085']
Don't forget there is a key change at the end too. Good fun song when nailed.
[/quote]
Only if you want there to be one - what's with all these 'rules'? Rules are written for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men !!

I've played it numerous times, it's not the easiest of things to learn, but once it's in, it's one of those you don't really forget. As pretty much everyone else has said though, to keep it driving effectively, a good drummer is key.

Fortunately, I haven't played it with a bad drummer...yet!

We do it pretty much every weekend - I am blessed with a totally locked in drummer and a proper showman frontman, the groove is nailed and the singer gets the crowd to sing the key change at the end. The rest is pretty straightforward although there are some pretty interesting bass frills under the key change if you listen closely - you can get away with straightening it out a bit there though.
Always goes down really well and I love playing it.

At the risk of embarrassing myself heres a dodgy recording done in a pub of us playing it - it shows what you can get away with if the crowd are in the mood! [url="https://www.dropbox.com/s/4sxg9vpzq8jnc3g/Living%20on%20a%20Prayer%201.mp3?fb=1"]https://www.dropbox.com/s/4sxg9vpzq8jnc3g/Living%20on%20a%20Prayer%201.mp3?fb=1[/url] the singer had a chest infection btw.... he's normally a bit better at it

We also do Keep the Faith occasionally which is fun too. Hugh McDonald is just a great groove player - when you pull their songs apart you really appreciate his approach.

Edited by Mudpup