Why become a member? ×

Stingray quandry

ednaplate

I'm returning to the bass after a little hiatus playing geetar. Now a few years ago I used to have a gorgeous 3 band EQ Stingray which I foolishly sold to buy a telecaster. I'm now looking at getting another Ray and wondered what the consensus is out there regarding the 2 band vs the 3 band. Aside from the extra knob an a side mounted jack is there any real difference apart from the price? Depending on where you look a 3 band is up to 30-40% dearer. I know you get a hard case rather than a gig bag but it does seem a big difference. Are the components neck, tuners etc… the same or has there been some other cost cutting to keep the price down? All thoughts are welcome.

A lot of players prefer the 2-band because it's easier to dial in a scooped sound, which to be fair is the sound the Stingray is best known for. I think the 3-band EQ is more useful on fretless models.

I've only had a 3-band Stingray and I just didn't get on with it physically, so the sound would have had to be irreplaceably amazing to make me hang on to it, which it wasn't.

I've never played a 3eq but I have recently acquired a 2eq and I've also got a Bongo which is 4 band. My experience so far is that in one of the bands I play, the 2 heavy handed guitarist's and their Marshall amps can sometimes make it difficult to find the perfect spot in the mix with the 2eq. What I've done for those situations is saved a tone setting in one the channels of my amp with a bit of bass cut and boosted hi and lo mids, . As I say, I haven't had it long so I'm still adjusting to it, so if I can't dial it in straight away I tend to just reach for the Bongo. However I used it to jam with some friends last week, just drums, cleanish guitar and keys and it sounded incredible, once you get it sat in the mix right it has a real authority to it's sound. I'm sure StingrayPete and drTStingray will be along soon and give you a far better explanation than mine, their knowledge of MM basses is top notch!

You are not making a fair price comparison, the two eq ones you have seen are from a slightly cheaper range using a poplar body, no case, limited colour choices. There is nothing wrong with them but the standard two eq with a case and a trans finish ash body will only be slightly cheaper.

Two eq sounds best, 3 eq is easier to dial in when playing live other than that you can't go wrong IMO :)

3-band all the way for me. Want a scooped sound? Just cut the mids right back. Getting lost in the mix, or need a really fat bridge pup fingerstyle sound? Boost the mids, roll off the treble, and boom. I use the mid knob so much that I cannot imagine playing my Ray without it. And having a side-mounted jack is also a major plus IMO - I hate front mounted jacks, and can't imagine why anyone would want to have a big fat ugly jack plug sticking out the front of their bass when they can have it neatly tucked away at the side.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1410332376' post='2548160']
the two eq ones you have seen are from a slightly cheaper range using a poplar body, no case, limited colour choices.
[/quote]

Huh? Are you by any chance referring to SbMM, or is there an EBMM range I don't know about? I thought SbMM were half price (and think they indeed are here in Norway, after the price for EBMM dropped considerably. Before, if memory serves that is, the SbMMs were one third of an EBMM).

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1410339084' post='2548209']
3-band all the way for me. Want a scooped sound? Just cut the mids right back. Getting lost in the mix, or need a really fat bridge pup fingerstyle sound? Boost the mids, roll off the treble, and boom. I use the mid knob so much that I cannot imagine playing my Ray without it. And having a side-mounted jack is also a major plus IMO - I hate front mounted jacks, and can't imagine why anyone would want to have a big fat ugly jack plug sticking out the front of their bass when they can have it neatly tucked away at the side.
[/quote]

It's not so bad with a right angle jack plug is it? Straight jacks do look a bit daft protruding from the front of the bass, I'll give you that ;)

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1410340401' post='2548229']

Huh? Are you by any chance referring to SbMM, or is there an EBMM range I don't know about? I thought SbMM were half price (and think they indeed are here in Norway, after the price for EBMM dropped considerably. Before, if memory serves that is, the SbMMs were one third of an EBMM).
[/quote]
Not quite so simple as that! Ebmm did a range about four years ago I think called the 251 or something, two eq only, no hard case, poplar body and less colour options to choose from they were around £1050 in the UK compared to £1300 for a regular two eq or £1400+ for a three eq. They may have only been available in the UK though, I'm not sure.

I use an angled Jack on all my basses.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1410305187' post='2548121']
A lot of players prefer the 2-band because it's easier to dial in a scooped sound, which to be fair is the sound the Stingray is best known for. I think the 3-band EQ is more useful on fretless models.

I've only had a 3-band Stingray and I just didn't get on with it physically, so the sound would have had to be irreplaceably amazing to make me hang on to it, which it wasn't.
[/quote]

I played a 3 EQ model once,
It was someone else's, and at an open-mic night (very kind of the bassist it was too)

But I struggled to get the sound I wanted. The owner had a fiddle with the amp settings and seemed to think it was fine
However, my EB MM is a 2 EQ, and I get the sounds I want from it without any fiddling / hassle

Of course, my amps and cabs are very different from his
But I find the sound I want quickly on my 2 EQ
As far as build and component quality is concerned - there doesn't seem to be anything between the two

I've got a 2EQ '93 H and a recent 3EQ 4HH.

The 2EQ sounds nicer when practicing, but in a live situation the 3EQ's been great as others have alluded to. However, my '93 ray is one of the Alder bodied 'rays that they produced during that era + rosewood neck, so it has a thicker, darker tone which may account for more of the difference than the EQ.

I wouldn't stress about it too much as you could always fit a John East preamp in the future - this would give you the 2EQ sound, but with a parametric Mid control which only alters the 2EQ sound when its moved off the centre detent. This is different to the stock 3EQ

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1410352666' post='2548427']
Not quite so simple as that! Ebmm did a range about four years ago I think called the 251 or something, two eq only, no hard case, poplar body and less colour options to choose from
[/quote]

Ah! That explains it. Twas before my time (and after my old time as well).
Thanks for bringing the light to me!

My USA SUB 5 was amazing, it had complete authority and growl, my emg BQC spector which I bought when i sold it is somewhat anaemic by comparison. Going to switch to the tonepump to see if I can get it back.

Slight thread drift aside, I couldn't really see you bit being able to dial in a good mix with a 2 band

I have a 78 Stingray, had it for years but don't
use it that much.
But when I do take it out, I have no problem with it 'sitting in the mix'.
Everything full up (Bass/Treble and Volume).
I tend to have a high action, and it seems to have a
rich throaty tone.

Not really a tech freak, so I would like to know why my MM
sounds quite different to the EB MM two band.

[/quote]

Right angled jack? Works for me.

[/quote]

I prefer the front jack - with a right angled plug it tucks through the strap a little neater, they don't get in the way when playing sitting down, don't get caught up in floor stands...

I've got a 3EQ Ray and a USA SUB with a John East 3 knob 3EQ.... I'm seriously considering getting another one for the Ray and leaving the side jack disconnected!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1410384319' post='2548964']
My 3 eq ones with a side jack dont fit on a stand without hitting the bass knob, for that reason alone the 2 eq wins :)
[/quote]

I'm sure there's a way to get a 3eq preamp with stacked knobs into an unmodded 2eq control plate? Maybe not the stock pre - if that's what you need :unsure: .
That or have no volume knob. I've always wondered why I have a volume knob on basses with a blend knob. I only seem to use volume on VVT/VVTT type setups.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1410385218' post='2548976']

I'm sure there's a way to get a 3eq preamp with stacked knobs into an unmodded 2eq control plate? Maybe not the stock pre - if that's what you need :unsure:
[/quote]

The John East 3 knob 3 band is pretty much exactly that - except it's based on the 2eq with an extra sweepable mid. Best of both worlds if you prefer the 2eq sound but want the option of some control over mids as well.