Why become a member? ×

Cheapest place to buy flatwounds

JamesBass

I'm really determined to move on to flatwound strings finally after really getting fed up with the round wound sound, I'll still keep on bass set up with rounds, but I'm gonna put flats on all my P basses for now, so where can I find flats cheap?

I'm looking at trying D'Addario Chromes, LaBellas and Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats. Cheers!

Thomann are cheapest for Thomastik but you have to spend about £160 for fee shipping.

They are still cheaper than most places even with the £10 shipping charge though.

For almost everything else, I actually find Amazon to be cheapest, but the prices fluctuate a lot so you have to keep any eye on it.

Bass Strings Online have decent prices for LaBella, their shipping isn't inflated and it seems to be the luck of the draw whether your package has import duty applied. I've just had a set of Sadowsky flats from them which reached me without attracting the attention of Customs. (This always seems to lead to multi-page threads about the ethics of tax avoidance, but please, let's not!)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1409737098' post='2542732']
Try some Fender 9050 flats - available everywhere and very affordable.
I've been using the 50-100s for ages - they're great.

La Bellas I found too 'floppy' and Chromes were alarmingly 'taut' - the Fenders are Goldilocks. ;)
[/quote]

I bought those very strings from Amazon for about £15. Nice strings, sound nice on my P. Look good too - dark green threads looks much better on my black P than the red ones that Rotosound use. Believe they are made by D'Addario too (though definitely not Chromes).

The way I interpret the thread is that the OP is looking for a site that is the cheapest for a given brand.

If he was looking for the cheap[u]EST[/u] flats, then he would not be interested in trying TI jazz flats (that's not to say the TI's are not worth the money. IMO they are..). ;)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1409737564' post='2542741']
If you're doing much in the way of touring, I'd drop the company and email and ask about artist pricing. I became a Rotosound endorsee as a result of such an email.
[/quote]
Alright Steve, I've considered this a few times but I'm very stop start with things, in fact I've not even had a rehearsal with a band for about 6-7 weeks as I've done my knee in! Just getting up and about now, will drop you an email soon to arrange that meet up!

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1409748622' post='2542912']
The way I interpret the thread is that the OP is looking for a site that is the cheapest for a given brand.

If he was looking for the cheap[u]EST[/u] flats, then he would not be interested in trying TI jazz flats (that's not to say the TI's are not worth the money. IMO they are..). ;)[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]
Exactly that, these are the brands I've ever the best about from friends and reviews etc. The fenders seem to have a love hate following! Plus I've had a few bad sets of fender rounds!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1409750166' post='2542936']
Exactly that, these are the brands I've ever the best about from friends and reviews etc. The fenders seem to have a love hate following! Plus I've had a few bad sets of fender rounds!
[/quote]
Why not just search the internet?

I know this seems obvious but the price of strings changes and sometimes by a lot. I bought some strings that were manufactured by one the companies you mentioned less that a year ago and now they are over double the price they were when i bought them.
Also some manufacturers 'custom' strings can be cheaper than buying a standard 'off the shelf' pack.
Take a look around, there's plenty of choice out there.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1409750166' post='2542936']
[/quote]

With regards the TI flats, be aware that these have VERY low tension (one of the lowest ) and this often puts people off them.

It would be a shame to spend a lot of money, and only then realize that the low tension does not suit you.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1409757673' post='2543014']

With regards the TI flats, be aware that these have VERY low tension (one of the lowest ) and this often puts people off them.

It would be a shame to spend a lot of money, and only then realize that the low tension does not suit you.
[/quote]
I've seen they are low tension and I'm quite comfortable playing with a lower tension, the D'Addario rounds I use are low tension too :)

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1409764446' post='2543107']
I've seen they are low tension and I'm quite comfortable playing with a lower tension, the D'Addario rounds I use are low tension too :)
[/quote]

Then, in that case you'll probably like the TI's.

It may seem like an obvious think to say, but give the TI's a while to break in, like all flats. They take some time to acquire their mellow tone.

I have come across people who say they tried them for a week and decided they did not like them. :blink:[size=4] [/size][size=4] [/size]

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1409764446' post='2543107']
[/quote]
I found them much more low tension than ANY rounds i've ever played.

When they say low they mean L-O-W. :)