Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz and Fender Precision - Mexican or American?

riviera_kid

[b]Are Fender basses better north of the border?[/b]

I'm thinking of picking up a used Fender Jazz or Precision in the next few weeks. I've only got a few hundred pounds to spare so I need to make sure I know what I'm buying!

Bass-ically I need to know what is up with the Mexican made standard basses? I gather that Fender have been making basses in Mexico some a long while and whilst I am sure the good people of Mexico are more than capable of making decent instruments, I am assuming it is a way of keeping production costs down.

So are they any good? I vaguely remember at one time you could buy a new Mexican Fender Precision for less than £400 but if you wanted the proper non-mexican Precision that would add an extra couple of hundred pounds to the price tag.

Now, most of the Precisions I have seen on Ebay, gumtree and elsewhere seem to be made in Mexico but are not labelled as the 'made in mexico' versions I remember seeing years ago. Am I making sense at this point?

I've seen plenty of reviews on YouTube of the mexican P bass and they all seem to suggest that its as good a bass as you can get, so help me out here - Have Fender moved P bass production from the USA to Mexico or has it always been this way? Is it socially acceptable among bass players to use Mexican made basses?

Sorry, odd question I know! Would be interested to know anyone's thoughts on the matter!

I can't comment on P-basses as I haven't really played many, but I recently spent a few days trying loads of different Jazz basses.

I ended up with a Squire VM Jazz, and honestly - if you've only got a few hundred quid they are excellent bang for buck. They play like a bass that's easily worth double the money IMO.

I couldn't tell it apart from some of the MIM Fenders I tried (which might say more about me...) and[size=4] I'd advise broadening your search out to some of the higher end Squier's if you're on a budget.[/size]

Depends on how you'd feel about not having that big 'F' decal on your headstock ;)

A contentious issue that regularly receives a fair bit of discussion; I played a lot of Jazzes when deciding which model I wanted for the budget I had - I went for a used American Standard in the end, couldn't be happier with it.

I played lots of Mexican ones though & they were perfectly good basses, absolutely nothing wrong with them. Some of the Squires are good too. I think you can sometimes hear/feel where the price difference has come from but if you just move onto the next one it'll probably be fine.

I would suggest playing a load of them & buying the one that sounds & feels right for you, regardless of the branding/made in sticker.

Edited by Lw.

Nothing wrong with Mexican Fenders or the Squier VM range as already mentioned. The difference at this price range is that there can be a little more variation in the playability and quality I think. So the best advice is to get yourself to a store that has a fair few in stock, spend a couple of hours playing some basses and see which you prefer.

I've got a couple of American Fenders, I went to get another and ended up with a Squier VM because it was just nicer to play. the main difference was that while the pickups, tuners etc. were perfectly good, the quality was a little short of the American ones. Over time i upgraded the pickups, electronics, tuners and bridge - but the stock was perfectly good for gigging.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1407836564' post='2524410']
I would suggest playing a load of them & buying the one that sounds & feels right for you, regardless of the branding/made in sticker.
[/quote]
[quote name='eightbitraptor' timestamp='1407836756' post='2524414']
Absolutely this.
[/quote]

+1. I've owned (and still own!) a number of Fender basses, Mex, Jap and US, and I would never buy a Fender bass without trying it out now. I've found the quality to be more spotty with Fender than any other manufacturer, and just because it says "Made in the USA" on the headstock (or custom shop on the back of it!) does not dictate that it will be better than a Mexican model!

For those that missed it; this from the Herts Bass Bash has to be worth looking at:

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1404677275' post='2494670']
OK, enough suspenders :lol: :rolleyes:
Here is the message from Lozz and a JPG file of the table (hope the latter is legible enough). They will both reappear on my blog in due course :)

[/quote]
It's not definitive, of course, but it has to tell you that it's all down to the [i]actual [/i]bass, strings, pups etc.

Original thread: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/238458-herts-bash-2-the-precision-test/page__hl__herts__st__60

Edited by Grangur

I have a MIM Precision I bought blind of the bay a few years ago... a 2002 model.
Turned out an absolute peach.

Did some minor modding, nothing drastic, mainly cosmetic 'cept I swapped out the machines for some 70's style.

A super bass.

£250

[quote name='bh2' timestamp='1407843555' post='2524504']
I have a MIM Precision I bought blind of the bay a few years ago... a 2002 model.
Turned out an absolute peach.

Did some minor modding, nothing drastic, mainly cosmetic 'cept I swapped out the machines for some 70's style.

A super bass.

£250
[/quote]

Ha, I had a 2004 MIM Jazz in Agave Blue that I got for £250 too! Amazing bass and came with Lindys in it, sounded amazing. Sold it to pay rent at uni :(

Depending on what you have to spend ? a used Mex P or Jazz will set you back £250-300 and a used USA model £500-600 just take a look in the FOR SALE section, plenty to choose from, if you can afford the USA model then just get it then you won't have the niggle in the back of your mind saying "I wish I had ..." agreed there are some superb Squiers and Mex basses, I have a MIM Road Worn P-Bass which is superb and a half ! bought it for £400 bargain ! BUT if you think you are likely to chew yourself up over the MIM / USA debate just go USA ...... did we mention that there are some amazing Japanese made Fenders too !!!!

Newer is probably better built for mex models in my humble opinion , but I've never played one that was actually bad. I've played lots.

You do get some extras with us models like a hard case, graphite rods in neck and rolled board edges but I'm not sure they worth double the price

Get a recent one (2002 on perhaps as quality definitely improved around then) and you're unlikely to regret it . I'm selling a blue one as it happens.

Edited by Geek99

I've looked at both Mexican & American basses in the past. To the best of my knowledge, the American offers the following upgrades on the Mexican:-[list]
[*]Better pickups (Custom Shop 60's - overwound with Alinio magnets, compared to 'standard' pickups used on the Mex - ceramic magnets with far fewer winds. On my P at least, the standard were louder, but sounded pretty harsh to me. A £35 Tonerider fixed that!)
[*]Neck reinforced with graphite rods
[*]High mass bridge
[*]Higher quality tuners
[*]Hard case vs gig bag
[*]Body made of fewer pieces of better quality wood
[/list]
Try as many as you can - there can be a lot of variance between apparently identical basses. Both my Fender basses are Mexican made, but I've replaced the pickups on both of them, plus the bridge on my Jazz.

I've had, played fiddled fettled & sold a few Mexican Precisions, 2 fretted & a fretless if memory serves. They were all very nice, great to play, looked spot on, well made - but I sold them.

I've got a few US P's, 3 in the rack, they're each really nice, even better to play, even better looking, even better made, never had a bad one & never wanted to sell any of them B)

It doesn't matter what badge they wear, it matters that you enjoy what you buy & get on with :)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1407840101' post='2524466']
For those that missed it; this from the Herts Bass Bash has to be worth looking at:

It's not definitive, of course, but it has to tell you that it's all down to the [i]actual [/i]bass, strings, pups etc.

Original thread: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/238458-herts-bash-2-the-precision-test/page__hl__herts__st__60
[/quote]

That was mine :D

All three of my basses are Mexican Fenders and they are great instruments. Solid build, solid finish, and great tones. My first Fender is now 10 years old and scratchy pots aside it hasn't had a major issue since I've owned it.

That said, the one US Fender I played recently (US Deluxe Jazz) blew me away on all fronts, but I doubt I could ever justify the £1k+ price tag for what I do.

If I were in your shoes I would head to the biggest music shop in the vicinity, expressing your intention to buy, and then trying every Fender/Squier in the shop until you find the one you click with. It might not be the one you expect.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1407873827' post='2524986']

I didn't see that coming :o

The world might have just flipped on its axis, I'll just check :)
[/quote]
I'm still playing the Gear4Music bass that came 7th. Ok, I've fitted Sd3 quarter pounders and a hipshot bridge, but the sound now is amazing. I've tried a USA Fender in the past and not been so smitten.

That said, my technique has changed. My expectations have also changed. Keep me away from Denmark Street someone! Anyone!

As players my personal preference are the 2008 - 2011 US Series. I just find them very nice underhand. That said, I`ve not got one, as my 78 is the best sounding bass I`ve had - for me that is, you can see from the P-Bass test not so for everyone. Best to try and buy what the hands and ears like. Got to say though, I had a 2012 MIM Precision and it was much better than the earlier ones I`ve had. maybe luck, or maybe Fender have upped the MIMs, whichever it was a great player. Not so easy to buy 2nd hand unseen/unplayed but worth a punt, get a good deal that way.