Why become a member? ×

Can't afford to be in a band

bonzodog

Does anyone else get frustrated not being able to afford half decent gear?
I play a Jhs vintage bass and whilst I like it I would prefer something a bit higher quality. My amp set up is just a mixture of second hand Hartke stuff off here or ebay. Last gig my amp head died so I am currently trawling the web looking for cheap second hand heads which I know is a false economy as they probably wont last five minutes. The gigs pay well but that usually gets spent on the kids. Think its made worse that the guitarist and drummer have no commitments so are always buying new gear. I would never expect them to chip in for my gear but cant help getting a bit down about it. I look at prices of decent gear and its like a different world to me.
Anyone else feel the same?

I sympathise entirely, but a lot of time is wasted on here going on and on and on about gear (and I'm probably one of the worst culprits) but the bottom line is whether you can play the bass well or not and whether you can get a half-decent bass sound while you're doing it. If you can then you don't need a shop full of shiny gear. I'm sure there's a certain amount of 'all the gear but no idea' on this forum just like those fast car forums for people who can't drive, or those golf forums for people who haven't got the first clue about how to swing a club... :)

If you're working and getting paid and you're enjoying your playing and you and your family are happy and healthy then you can't ask for much more than that, really.
Except for a Wal bass, an Aguilar amp and a Bergantino cab, of course. :D

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1407773688' post='2523860']
Last gig my amp head died so I am currently trawling the web looking for cheap second hand heads which I know is a false economy as they probably wont last five minutes.
[/quote]

Have just posted a NAD thread about the G-K MB200. That is a good-sounding, quality head for not a lot of shillings. :)
And I believe Merton of this parish has one for sale...

Edited by discreet

Last gig my amp head died so I am currently trawling the web looking for cheap second hand heads which I know is a false economy as they probably wont last five minutes. [/quote]

I'm still using the same combo I bought 10 years ago on eBay and haven't had it serviced during that time either. Hardly any of my gear was bought new and some of the cables have been given to me as birthday or xmas presents. Of my whole rig the only thing of any real value that I personally bought new is the bassattack pedal and I've had that a few years now.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1407774446' post='2523876']
I'm still using the same combo I bought 10 years ago on eBay and haven't had it serviced during that time either. Hardly any of my gear was bought new and some of the cables have been given to me as birthday or xmas presents.
[/quote]

Your sig is very telling. Even for those who can afford whatever gear they want (or who are able to borrow enough money to do so), imho conspicuous consumption is a bad thing despite what the government is telling us about 'growth' and what advertising tells us about how insecure and inferior we will be if we don't aspire to greatness and buy the latest crap... which of course is so much better than the previous crap...

most fun bass I've had cost me £40 out of a secondhand shop. (two years ago) Wish I hadn't sold it to a mate. One of the next best I think owed me £80 and I bolted it together myself.
Ampwise you can pick good stuff up for not much, esp if you don't mind weight. old Trace Elliot stuff goes for pennies these days.

What's the problem? You've got a bass that can handle the gig and you can buy a good secondhand amp for
good money. There is far too much emphasis put on owning expensive gear when in reality, as nice as it is, it's
not strictly necessary. I've played gigs on cheap basses and no one cares as long as it works and you play it well.
We've all bought gear for the sake of it but really, the gear is secondary to the playing. Go out, play with your band,
enjoy yourself and if/when you have enough cash you can upgrade if you want but until then play and enjoy what
you have and don't worry about what you think other people think you should be playing.

You certainly don't need shiny new (or vintage old) gear to get a good sound and play in a band. I would think it's frustrating to be with guys who are able to keep buying new gear but you have commitments and it's to your credit that you prioritise as you do.

I might say one thing. Your priorities are the right ones in the scheme of things but how many 'well paid' gigs would get you up and running with decent, usable gear? If that's investing in your ability to keep playing then it's an investment in more money for your family. If it's the difference between an amp and eating then I understand but is it that?

Is your amp actually dead or can it be fixed (as icastle is implying)? Use the wealth of knowledge here to explore that option.

You might think 'it's ok for him' looking at my signature but that bitsa (a Squier body and similar bits) would be fine for gigging and my nephew has another I put together and it's his number 1 gigging bass).

Edited by Bassman Steve

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1407776624' post='2523910']
You certainly don't need shiny new (or vintage old) gear to get a good sound and play in a band. I would think it's frustrating to be with guys who are able to keep buying new gear but you have commitments and it's to your credit that you prioritise as you do.

I might say one thing. Your priorities are the right ones in the scheme of things but how many 'well paid' gigs would get you up and running with decent, usable gear? If that's investing in your ability to keep playing then it's an investment in more money for your family. If it's the difference between an amp and eating then I understand but is it that?

Is your amp actually dead or can it be fixed (as icastle is implying)? Use the wealth of knowledge here to explore that option.

You might think 'it's ok for him' looking at my signature but that bitsa (a Squier body and similar bits) would be fine for gigging and my nephew has another I put together and it's his number 1 gigging bass).
[/quote]

This ^^^ use the money earned from gigs to pay for a decent secondhand head and then any further money earned I'd say split 50/50 between the upkeep of your gear (looking after the tools of your trade so to speak) and the other half to your family? If you can get paid gigs there's clearly little wrong with your gear/sound.

Its a very old HA3000 and last week, although the power light was on there was no sound. All of a sudden it came to life then stopped again. I am local to MAJ who has repaired gear for me in the past so will drop it into him. I have now borrowed my nephews LG1000 until I find one.
Don't get me wrong, I know my priorities and am blessed with health and family. It just gets you down sometimes when you struggle to even afford basic stuff.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1407777596' post='2523932']
Don't get me wrong, I know my priorities and am blessed with health and family. It just gets you down sometimes when you struggle to even afford basic stuff.
[/quote]

Priorities is right. I've got some OK bass gear, but my car is a running gag to my friends and colleages - a battered 1997 VW Golf. They can't understand why I won't buy a new car. As far as I'm concerned, it works, it does what I want it to do and I'm just not interested in driving around in a shiny new w*nker's car... Audi, anyone?? :lol: Oo-er, that's done it - I'm off!

Edited by discreet

How many other hobbies provide any sort of return on the gear you need to purchase to be able to join in? I will never recover the cost of my gear unless I upped my game and got a regular function band on the go again, even then I would probably just spend more on gear because I was earning it! If you took up fishing it would cost a fortune in peg fees and transport,camping food (and drink :crazy: ) etc yet you would at best bring home a manky old trout rather than a few quid :D

Its a very old HA3000 and last week, although the power light was on there was no sound. All of a sudden it came to life then stopped again. I am local to MAJ who has repaired gear for me in the past so will drop it into him. I have now borrowed my nephews LG1000 until I find one.
[/quote]

I use one of those as a backup and rehearsal head and guess what?
Mine did that as well.

Hartke had a rather large batch of circuit boards delivered in the HA3000 days which had some very poor soldering - I spent about 10 mins with a soldering iron repairing the bad joints and it's worked ever since.

There's a rather fair chance that you've got the same problem. :)

Does anyone else get frustrated not being able to afford half decent gear?
I play a Jhs vintage bass and whilst I like it I would prefer something a bit higher quality. My amp set up is just a mixture of second hand Hartke stuff off here or ebay. Last gig my amp head died so I am currently trawling the web looking for cheap second hand heads which I know is a false economy as they probably wont last five minutes. The gigs pay well but that usually gets spent on the kids. Think its made worse that the guitarist and drummer have no commitments so are always buying new gear. I would never expect them to chip in for my gear but cant help getting a bit down about it. I look at prices of decent gear and its like a different world to me.
Anyone else feel the same?
[/quote]

I saw a secondhand ashdown mag 300 on ebay for £75 yesterday. Decent amp and reliable.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1407778220' post='2523943']
Mine did that as well.

Hartke had a rather large batch of circuit boards delivered in the HA3000 days which had some very poor soldering - I spent about 10 mins with a soldering iron repairing the bad joints and it's worked ever since.

[/quote]

Yes you could be right. I will get Mike at MAJ to have a look

BTW this is not a plea for people to offer me cheap gear, but thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them.
Thanks for the advice

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1407774099' post='2523868']
I sympathise entirely, but a lot of time is wasted on here going on and on and on about gear (and I'm probably one of the worst culprits) but the bottom line is whether you can play the bass well or not and whether you can get a half-decent bass sound while you're doing it. If you can then you don't need a shop full of shiny gear. I'm sure there's a certain amount of 'all the gear but no idea' on this forum just like those fast car forums for people who can't drive, or those golf forums for people who haven't got the first clue about how to swing a club... :)

If you're working and getting paid and you're enjoying your playing and you and your family are happy and healthy then you can't ask for much more than that, really.
Except for a Wal bass, an Aguilar amp and a Bergantino cab, of course. :D
[/quote]

I think this is hitting it on the head so to speak.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1407779749' post='2523962']
It took me until I was in my late 50s to go out and buy whatever gear I wanted. Within reason.

Blue
[/quote]
I've managed this by my early 50s, but there is a certain pleasure in getting a great sound from entry-level kit. I still gig my Squier Tele, and get a great Hendrix sound from my £50 tranny Marshall combo.

I am more than happy to Champion budget gear.....in most cases it does exactly what you ask of it. Yes it's very nice to have top end gear but imho the quality of lower priced equipment is increasingly catching up with the equipment costing £££ so not essential at all.

That doesn't mean i don't want better gear but it won't make me play any better.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1407776249' post='2523904']
What's the problem? You've got a bass that can handle the gig and you can buy a good secondhand amp for
good money. There is far too much emphasis put on owning expensive gear when in reality, as nice as it is, it's
not strictly necessary. I've played gigs on cheap basses and no one cares as long as it works and you play it well.
We've all bought gear for the sake of it but really, the gear is secondary to the playing. Go out, play with your band,
enjoy yourself and if/when you have enough cash you can upgrade if you want but until then play and enjoy what
you have and don't worry about what you think other people think you should be playing.
[/quote]

Bang on.

In fact, if the sort of gigs Bonzo does have PAs and on stage monitors, he could just get a Sansamp or even a cheapie behringer active DI. Most pro musicians are semi-skint anyway.

[/quote]
Don't let it bother you, it's not important. If it's a hobby (which I assume it is), then just play and enjoy it. It's not worth getting
down over. People read magazines and (especially) forums and feel that they need 'better' gear, when they don't. The biggest
factor is how you play, not how much you spend.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1407778220' post='2523943']

Mine did that as well.

[/quote]

Yes, the description of the fault sounded very like a bad connection. Blown components don't tend to come back to life. Re-flowing solder joints can often fix things . . . as I once did with my old Ampeg combo.

As for the OP's situation, seems like a lot of good advice has already been given. I'd emphasise the point about getting regular well-paid gigs - if that's happening then the band can't be doing much wrong. I can understand a bit of frustration if band members are always buying new gear but then they don't have the benefit of a family life so I know whose shoes I'd rather be in. Chin up and play the rest of them off the stage!