Why become a member? ×

Back-up/Number 2 bass

Pow_22

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Really struggling to settle on a new number two bass. My main bass is a '76 P bass that I love but I want something a little different as back up.[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]My main rig is a big SVT Valve head through a 4x10 Cab but my mini rig I use most is an Orange Bass terror though a 2x12 Ashdown. I play indie/mellow rock, use a pick and have flatwounds on everything. I like traditional looking basses (not a fan of Jazz's tho) and want deep but clear tones. I also love semi-hollow basses. Below is quite a varied shortlist that I have come up with:-[/color][/size][/font]

[u][font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font][/u]

[u][size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Ibanez Artcore AGB140[/font][/color][/size][/u]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Looks great with the semi hollow design yet retains the long scale neck. Could do with a gibson style pickguard but I would image with my fave flatwounds on this could be a thump monster. Hardcases that fit are hard to come by tho.[/color][/size][/font]

[u][size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Epiphone Thunderbird[/font][/color][/size][/u]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]A bit out of left-field this one. Always loved the look of them and the sound the Kings Of Leon guy gets with his using flats. Seen a good deal on a Korean one with hardcase[/color][/size][/font]

[u][font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font][/u]

[u][size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Epiphone Jack Casady (Black)[/font][/color][/size][/u]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Probably the coolest looking one and the one ive played in PMT was lovely. With flats it could be great but this is the one that creeps up on the price scale.[/color][/size][/font]

[u][size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Fender/Squier Cabronita Bass[/font][/color][/size][/u]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Much more in keeping with my precision love and traditionalist styling. I did actually have one but got rid as the E string pole on the pickup was so far off that the note bloomed rather than the instant attack the other strings had. Ive since read that this maybe down to me buying a lemon rather than a standard fault. Worth giving it another chance?[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I know the obvious thing to do would be try them all and see but as we all know most good deals are online and no shop certainly round here will stock all the above at the same time. Budget wise id say maybe £200-300 tops as it literally will be a back up bass.[/color][/size][/font]

[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Any advice greatly recieved[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1407402869' post='2520088']
[u][size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri]Epiphone Thunderbird[/font][/color][/size][/u]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]A bit out of left-field this one. Always loved the look of them and the sound the Kings Of Leon guy gets with his using flats. Seen a good deal on a Korean one with hardcase[/color][/size][/font]

[/quote]

I used to have one of these and I hated it. Looked amazing, but so heavy and really struggled playing for long periods of time.

The Neck seems to have magnetic attraction to the floor or something, it feels like your left arm really gets a work out fretting and stopping it dive-bombing at the same time.

It was a long time ago too but IIRC the string spacing felt super wide and the neck is thick, although take that with a pinch of salt as I played Ibanez SR's mostly...

I would say go for a second hand P bass and upgrade it a bit could easily be done with your budget I know it is not a bit different but is dependable, or maybe something a bit vintage like a Westone or Tokai Love rock bass? [url="https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tokai+love+rock+les+bass&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=xFbjU7D-DYaJ7Aa-2IGIDw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAw&biw=1366&bih=667#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=A38GWe_9F8P8GM%253A%3BeHPqSV7mKZHkTM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi1298.photobucket.com%252Falbums%252Fag59%252Fpetetexas%252F20140621_172048_zpsa3f02689.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fbasschat.co.uk%252Ftopic%252F239531-tokai-love-rock-les-paul-bass%252Fpage__p__2488564%3B768%3B1024"]https://www.google.c...64%3B768%3B1024[/url] They are different and sound nice IMO I have never played one though so do not know if they are heavy or how they play

Edited by Thunderbird

The only one i can comment on helpfully is the epiphone T-Bird, neck dive is mega, but there is apparently a solution, drill new holes for the strap and if you hunt around on here there are some threads to show you where to drill the new holes. However my other advice would be it is a very inflexible bass in terms of sound. You will get about 4 sounds out of it. I use mine as a bass to teach the youth on as i don't mind it getting knocked around. I have gigged with it in the distant past, and it was fine, but it won't set the world on fire. I'd prob recommend a squire type something (like your looking at) if you have a nice P bass, a lot of people on here seem very happy with squire J type basses.

If you were prepared to go up for a Jack Casady but liked the look of an Epiphone T-Bird, for the extra money, this will blow all of them into next week
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/197657-spector-rex-20004-holoflash-thunderbird-and-upgrades/page__hl__spector%20rex%20brown

Both my basses are set up the same, they are both J5's with a little twist but they play the same, pretty much.
The sound is the only real variation but they are both Jazzes... one has a vintage vibe and the other has a more
Marcus Miller typical tone.
The both sound great to me and I do have a starting preference but that may change due to one sounding better
in that room at sound check.

So, in taht sense they are a 'backup' bass..and not 'another' bass.
I do exactly the same things technically and playing-wise on either.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1407404240' post='2520099']
Out of all of those (and having owned or at least played three of them), I'd choose the Jack Casady every day and twice on Sundays ;)

Gold top for the win though, but the limited edition white one looks pretty damn fine too...
[/quote]

+1 except id get black not gold. It's too much like the colour of my little niece's nappies rather than the classic Gibson GoldTop gold you'd expect. A bloody insanely cool bass though (and the white one is awesome too!)

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1407411370' post='2520187']
Unlike you, I want my back up bass (for gigging) to be similar to my main bass. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Agree with this, I don`t want any re -eqing malarkey midway through a gig if the proverbial hits the fan for whatever reason, just strap on the same again and keep going for me.

If your anything like me, you'll only be arsed to take one, but want another as an option in case you get bored or there is some work going on to your main axe. I nearly won a cassidy on ebay, special edition silver burst, twas lovely. Went for around £320 I think. And I agree with the t bird comments. Sounds pretty good but it's a workout keeping them in your grasp (mine was modded too, with a quality strap, still behaved like a seagull in a school playground at lunchtime)