Why become a member? ×

Any shortscale only players?

Number6

Since returning to playing bass after a long break i have been playing both longscale and shortscale basses. I went out and bought a cheapy Vintage active bass and and a little Gretsch Electromatic. The thing is my hankering is really only for shortscale instruments now.....

I think musically i can get by as i'm hardly a musician that would use all those notes anyway and any more than 4 strings and i'm befuddled.

Being a 6ft 18 stone lump i can't help but feel i'll look a bit daft but i'm not sure i care lol.

Any other shortscale only BC'ers out there?

Short-scale basses are exactly the same as long-scale (usually four strings, tuned EADG, roughly 21-ish frets, etc.) except that the scale-length is about 3"-4" shorter.

The result is a thuddier sound, with more thump but less presence.

If you like Warwicks, then you'll hate short-scale basses.

You'll find all the same notes in all the same places.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1407224207' post='2518410']...what is the difference between long and short scale in terms of sound and notes...I take it that short scale basses have a low E? Is there quality short scale basses out there ?
[/quote]

Here's Fender's view...

[url="http://www.fender.com/news/bass-guitar-scale-length/"]Bass Guitar Scale Length...[/url]

[quote][color=#333333]Most bass guitars are long-scale instruments. Students and other younger players, however, may prefer to start with a short-scale bass guitar and then “graduate” up to a long-scale bass.[/color]
[color=#333333]Fender itself defined the long-scale bass guitar when it introduced the profoundly influential Precision Bass® in 1951; joined later by the Jazz Bass® (1960) and other long-scale models, such as the Telecaster Bass® (1968) and the Jaguar Bass® (2006). All have a 34” scale that, while universally accepted as a standard length, can be a bit of a stretch for younger players.[/color]
[color=#333333]Realizing this, Fender introduced its first short-scale bass guitar, the Mustang® Bass, in summer 1966. The last Fender bass guitar designed by Leo Fender himself, the Mustang Bass had a student-friendly 30” scale with an accordingly shorter distance between frets and a generally more compact physical size that made it easier to play for kids and players with smaller hands and shorter reach (Fender had been offering smaller student-model electric guitars since 1955). Another short-scale model, the Musicmaster Bass, debuted in 1971 and remained in the Fender line until 1981.[/color]
[color=#333333]Between the mid-1950s and mid-1960s, several other makers introduced their own short- and medium-scale basses. Standards basically settled into the dominant long scale established by Fender (34”; rarely, other makers have offered longer scales) the less prevalent but nonetheless commonplace short scale (30” and slightly longer) and the much less often-encountered medium scale (around 32”). It bears remembering here that the term “scale length” refers to the distance between the bridge and the nut—the entire vibrating length of the strings—rather than the length of the neck or fingerboard.[/color]
[color=#333333]Today, Fender’s widely varied bass guitar selection continues to encompass several quality short-scale models. [/color]These include the modern version of the Fender Mustang Bass, the Squier Vintage Modified Mustang Bass, Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special SSand Squier Bronco™ Bass. [color=#333333]All have a 30” scale.[/color]
[color=#333333]In addition to the obvious size difference between long- and short-scale basses, is there a tonal difference?[/color]
[color=#333333]Yes, definitely. For one thing, short-scale bass guitars sometimes use a slightly heavier string gauge than their long-scale brothers, which imparts a thicker and more bass-heavy tone than lighter-gauge strings with more brightness and snap. Further, shorter strings require lower string tension for proper intonation, which imparts not only a looser, more “floppy” feel to the strings, but also results in fatter-sounding low notes.[/color]
[color=#333333]Further, short-scale bass playing has not been the exclusive province of kids and beginners. Plenty of bass greats have used short-scale basses, including Paul McCartney, Jack Bruce (Cream), Bill Wyman (Rolling Stones), Andy Fraser (Free), Glenn Cornick (Jethro Tull), Trevor Bolder (Spiders From Mars, Uriah Heep), Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads), Garry Tallent (E Street Band), Bruce Thomas (the Attractions), Gary Mounfield (Stone Roses, Primal Scream), Mike Watt (Minuteman, Firehose, Stooges) and many others.[/quote][/color]

Edited by Dad3353

Hmmmm ... the idea that short-scale basses were designed for use by students (and other younger players, and kids, and players with smaller hands) would have come as something of a surprise to the many firms who produced them, and the very many grown-ups who played them.

That is a shockingly Fender-centric view of things.

Just as an example, all Hofner basses from the 50s, 60s, and 70s were short-scale (30.5"). That's all of them, not just the hollow-body basses, not just the violin bass.

Presumably Fender's view was that Paul McCartney was a student (or other younger player, or kid, or player with smaller hands) since he didn't play a Fender.

http://www.landingbass.com/MODELS.html
Lowlandtrees
to answers your question " are there any quality short scale basses" YES LOTS.
Fender and Gibson for your well known brands, but take a look at Landing bass guitars they are hand made in the USA.
I have an L1 pic #9 and #11 on there L1 gallery

The link at the top takes you to there web page.

The Fender Modern Player SS Jazz has 18 frets i believe.....my Gretsch has 20, i think that 21 frets is about maximum for shortscale.....is that correct?

P.S. Also aren't we all life long students anyway so i'm happy for Fender to put me in a category lol

Edited by Number6

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1407266397' post='2519036']
I'd love a Gibson SG bass.....if i could ever muster the ££s i really love the look of them but i've never played one.
[/quote]ive played long scale ( fender precisions mainly) for 30 years, i got my sg a month ago and used it for a gig and to be honest i hardly noticed the scale difference, very comfortable, defo a keeper.

Edited by rogerstodge

I started with longscale and had always played them until a couple of years ago when i bought an Epiphone EB0. Really liked it. Then I got a Fender Musicmaster, liked it even more (now with a P pickup fitted). This year I got my first medium scale and I find this is the most comfortable scale length for me - I now have two and absolutely love them. I still use the others, though. :)

There you go Mel. Nice, innit! A Bass Doc special. Howard routed for the P-Bass pup (now a Wizard Trad) and made a new scratchplate. I call it my 'Mustangmaster'. Nice thumpy thing it is too. :)

[attachment=168550:mustangmaster.jpg]

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1407327697' post='2519447']
There you go Mel. Nice, innit! A Bass Doc special. Howard routed for the P-Bass pup (now a Wizard Trad) and made a new scratchplate. I call it my 'Mustangmaster'. Nice thumpy thing it is too. :)

[/quote]

That is a lovely bass.....really nice and it's fuelling my short scale GAS even more so thanks haha ;)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1407327697' post='2519447']

[/quote]

That's so cool! I want one.