Why become a member? ×

Jazz dilemma, what to do...?

sykilz

So I have a new MIM jazz, and I love the neck, just love it, perfect width,depth,weight,everything. The rest of the bass is a great ( light ) weight, but , but, just playing it alongside the Yamaha BB414, and the sound is just weak. Even just the front pup alone is so lame compared to the Yam. ( the pups are all set up properley, as high as I can get them). So basically I like more of a dark P bass tone to play rock covers, for which the Yam is perfect, but a bit heavy on the shoulder. So I thought about the best course of action and came up with a few ideas.....
1 sell the jazz, but then I lose the great neck
2 keep the jazz neck, sell the body and get a P body and fit with my choice of innards. This is probably most costly route.
3 keep jazz neck,sell body, get a Squier Matt Freeman used and swap necks, sell the squier neck too.
4 keep the jazz and try different pickups and electronics, something of a bottomless pit of money needed for this one...?

i should add that I don't really like playing around too much with bits and bobs, though I can do most stuff if needed I'm a bit lazy and don't want to muck stuff up as i need a reliable bass. Also, less than £200 would be good....net after selling bits. So what would be best...HELP!!!!!!!!

Hehe.. Seymour Duncan will generally make a real difference even over the USA Fender pickups!
You could always sell the Jazz and go for something with a similar neck such as Ibanez SR - plenty powerful and crop up at some good prices used.

Option 5....

Keep them both.
Get a better strap for the Yamaha so that the weight thing isn't an issue.
Even if you love the precision sound like anything, there will be a day in the next 3-4 years where you hanker after a jazz type tone. Having both isn't a bad thing!

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1404235690' post='2490675']
Get a Squier VM Fretless Precision and do the neck swap. Change the pckup also if you want. Lightest Precision you'll ever own, guaranteed.
[/quote]
Funnily enough I did look at one of these yesterday! Another option, maybe replacing the Matt Freeman option.

Also there is an Ibanez SR 600 I've been offered for a reasonable price, played one before and loved the feel, but can it do the middy front humbucker type sound??

Thanks for the variety of replies, all things I've considered to be honest, was hoping everyone would have one idea only!! The jazz is such a great feeling bass, ideal weight and balance, and I got to choose my colour scheme I always wanted too, so would love to keep it, just want more .....umph!!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1404235959' post='2490685']
Option 5....

Keep them both.
Get a better strap for the Yamaha so that the weight thing isn't an issue.
Even if you love the precision sound like anything, there will be a day in the next 3-4 years where you hanker after a jazz type tone. Having both isn't a bad thing!
[/quote]

Totally agree with this.

I spent a lot of time looking for my perfect Jazz bass but, in the end, decided my Precision Lyte did the job for me. P/J pups, stupidly light (7.5lbs) shallow Jazz width neck, active eq. P pickup isolated sounds a lot darker than a Jazz neck pickup, nearer to (but not exactly like) a Precision. J pickup at bridge isolated sounds (to me) like a Jazz bridge pup. Both blended sound near enough to that same sweet burpy blended Jazz tone but a bit darker. Icing on cake for me was fitting a U Retro.

Sell the BB and the Jazz, and get yourself this ...

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/239523-sold-fender-precision-lyte-1993-immaculate-condition-sold/page__p__2484464__hl__lyte__fromsearch__1#entry2484464

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1404237851' post='2490713']
I spent a lot of time looking for my perfect Jazz bass but, in the end, decided my Precision Lyte did the job for me. P/J pups, stupidly light (7.5lbs) shallow Jazz width neck, active eq. P pickup isolated sounds a lot darker than a Jazz neck pickup, nearer to (but not exactly like) a Precision. J pickup at bridge isolated sounds (to me) like a Jazz bridge pup. Both blended sound near enough to that same sweet burpy blended Jazz tone but a bit darker. Icing on cake for me was fitting a U Retro.
[/quote]

Ha! I just read this after posting my last response there. Great minds and all that. I've had a P-bass Lyte in the past, and I'll sing their praises enthusiastically. I believe this bass could neatly solve the OP's problems

Edited by Fionn

A pickup swap would be my recommendation. Quarterpounders or Model J would do the trick for under £100 including installation if you didn't fancy doing it yourself. Pickups wouldn't lose a lot of value for having been in a bass so you could always take them out again and flip them if not to your taste.

Edited by theyellowcar

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1404238158' post='2490717']
Yamaha BB's have notoriously hot pickups so you probably shouldn't make the comparison between the two.
If you like the tone of the jazz save your money & use the controls on your amp.
[/quote]
I think maybe there lies my problem, I almost like the tone of the jazz....just not quite. You're quite right, the level of output isn't the end of the world as my amp has an input gain level, I want a bit more "fullness" from the front pup especially, I think I'm leaning towards keeping the bass as I tried lots in the shop, and this one, although a Mex, was the best made and feeling bass in the shop for me.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1404239497' post='2490739']
Try the Entwistle neodymium j pickups, theyre huge!!!
[/quote]
Very cheap compared to the big name brands too, how do they compare for output to bog standard Mex pups and hotter Dimarzios I wonder?

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1404237260' post='2490707']
I second the J retro solution. There aren't many sounds you be unable to get with that. I have one in my Jazz. Costs £195 and will take you 15 mins to install.
[/quote]

+ 2

Have one installed in my RW jazz & it's the bizz!

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1404240102' post='2490747']
Very cheap compared to the big name brands too, how do they compare for output to bog standard Mex pups and hotter Dimarzios I wonder?
[/quote]

Too cheap! They kick the arse off of SD quarter pounders, the hottest passive pickups I've ever come across! And they are very present in the mids. Worth a go definitely ;)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1404241455' post='2490765']

Too cheap! They kick the arse off of SD quarter pounders, the hottest passive pickups I've ever come across! And they are very present in the mids. Worth a go definitely ;)
[/quote]
Sounds promising, mids are goooood!