Why become a member? ×

Jazz dilemma, what to do...?

sykilz

Hi guys, for anyone who asked me to post what I did and if anyone is in a similar situation, I just got a set of Dimarzio model J pickups and wired them in this afternoon, which was an adventure with my non existent soldering skills!! However, they are in and working, and WOW what a difference, only through my 30watt practice amp, but sounds like just what I wanted, did an A/B comparison with the Yamaha BB and they sound very similar now, the jazz is much more open and dark and BIGGER sounding, the Yam just swamped the output from the jazz before, now there is virtually no difference. Also they are humbuckers, so noiseless, hurrah, and the neck pup in particular sounds lovely and gritty. Can't wait to blast through the main rig next week! And all for £84 delivered from woodbrass in France, so the cost wasn't horrendous.
Thanks for all the posts and suggestions given.

I used it in soundcheck in a BIG pub on Friday, first time we played there, and to be honest the sound of the band was a mess, guitars too loud, as usual, but once we eventually balanced it out the bass sounded o.k. Unfortunately I then tried the Yamaha BB that I take as emergency back up and that sounded better, fuller, so gigged that. The amp was running quite hard so that didn't help. I think once we get back to playing our regular smaller pubs the jazz will be fine with the new pups, it's a definite improvement for the music we play, which is rock covers, though it's still not quite as " big" as the yamaha, so depends what you want your new pickups to do, I would say. Hope this helps , a bit, I know how much of a minefield it feels like!!

Edited by sykilz