Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

XTC. This is a BBC session of a track from the Oranges & Lemons LP.

Colin Moulding on vocals and (wonderful) Wal bass. I really dig this version as I think it sounds more airy than the album version, and the overall band performances feel slightly looser… 

That said, both are fabulous!

• Like 2

Clarinet Concerto -Elliot Carter...

A rather difficult listen, being unfamiliar with the Carter concepts. It may (but only may...) help by seeing the actual performance, which apparently involves the clarinet soloist moving from place to place within the disposition of the unusual-formed orchestra.  Wanting to open my ears to more contemporary classical music, I'm not sure just how far from my current bases I'm prepared to venture. Life is short; the jury is out. B|

• Like 1

Received a new (to me...) Yamaha A-520 amp today. Connected it up to my Electro-Voice Interface Series II speakers, so hearing a new (to me...) rendition of Schubert's Ninth. It's glorious, to hear it this way. My previous amp (Teac AG-H300...) is good, but the Yamaha puts out the wattage needed to drive these speakers as they require. Full-fat trombones..! What's not to like..? :sun_bespectacled:

(No, s'not just a case of phonic volume; it's the whole musical spectrum that comes alive, at all listening levels B|...).

• Like 1

I'm not going to draw any firm conclusions about the new Blur album after only a couple of days listening. Most of the tracks feel to me like tracks at the back end of an album AFTER you've heard the best 5-6 tracks - more like the embers of a late night camp fire on a beach... no graffiti aerosol cans exploding in the fire. Like new shoes - takes a while to wear them in.