Why become a member? ×

Ugliest headstock ever ??

hamfist

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1402590907' post='2475126']
Those Tyler headstocks are pretty abominable.
The Bongo headstock & the G&L ones with the stupidly impractical pointy/wavy bit would be on my list too.
[/quote]

OK, I'll bite. In what way is the G&L headstock "impractical"? I have been playing G&L basses for years now and I can't think of a single time when the headstock has got in the way, caused me to make a mistake, not fit in a gig bag, taken someone's eye out or any other impractical incident ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1402736508' post='2476365']
OK, I'll bite. In what way is the G&L headstock "impractical"?
[/quote]

They are impractical because that extra pointy bit on the bottom is easily damaged compared to the older, more Fender-like head stocks they used at first. I've seen quite a few secondhand ones where this bit has been bashed & broken.

I think it looks pretty ugly too - I think G&L stuff is really good (far superior to Musicman stuff IMO) but that headstock is a deal-breaker for me.

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1402760109' post='2476611']
Do the Mike Lull headstocks not all look too small for the basses they are attached to..?
[/quote]

I think Lull's are perfectly proportioned - it's just that Fender headstocks are over-large and we've become used to that.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1402765918' post='2476667']
... SGC Nanyo are all contenders. Still great basses though.
[/quote]

C'mon, 'tis a thing of beauty, if a bit small! :)

[url="https://flic.kr/p/g3tHMr"][/url]

Edited by Mornats
  • Like 1

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1402833153' post='2477085']
It has something of the butt-plug about it... rather you than me, though. :mellow:
[/quote]

I never thought of it like that before and now I can't unthink it. Not sure how it would work with the tuners but each to their own!

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1402833729' post='2477087']
I never thought of it like that before and now I can't unthink it. Not sure how it would work with the tuners but each to their own!
[/quote]

Hmm... you'd need to remove the tuners - unless you were particularly masochistic. :blink:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1402834543' post='2477094']
Surely the winner is Warwick. That paddle shaped headstock is the ugliest thing ever. And I hate the way they shoehorn it onto all their designs irrespective of whether or not it suits the body shape.
[/quote]

Yes, I thought that too. I suppose that shape is an essential part of their branding though.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1402824666' post='2476991']

That looks pretty inoffensive to me - my only quibble would be that the straight lines and angles on the truss rod cover seem at odds with the otherwise curvy appearance
[/quote]

The shape's harmless enough. It's the eccentric tuner arrangement that pushes it into the odd. I'm sure there's a logic behind it though.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1402824136' post='2476985']

[/quote]

I just can't get on with the B string going to that tuner.... I know it's all about tension (or something) but it just looks ridiculous... like you've sent the strings to the wrong tuners...