Why become a member? ×

Busy Basslines

Hobbayne

I have been listening to this old Marmalade song from 1969 and what a great singalong tune! - But is the bass overdoing it a bit? I would certainly simplify this if I were to do it!
What do you think?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTeI65yrhGw[/media]

Well, they are a pretty inexperienced studio band at this point in time, I'd guess, and that is the treatment
they came up with and got left on the tape.

That is the problem with recorded snapshots ...they stay forever.
About par for the course, at the time and the comment about Jamerson is probably close to the mark..
The 'producer' probably suggested in after 16 takes... :lol:

I think it keeps moving the song along in what would otherwise be far more of a dirge, it's the only really lively bit when you listen to the arrangement. Without such a busy bassline it'd be quite different in mood, though the brass section at the end also reflects the movement of the bass.

Edited by HowieBass

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1402305154' post='2471777']
I think it keeps moving the song along in what would otherwise be far more of a dirge, it's the only really lively bit when you listen to the arrangement. Without such a busy bassline it'd be quite different in mood, though the brass section at the end also reflects the movement of the bass.
[/quote]

+1 - he's definitely the most imaginative player in the core of the group, at least on this recording.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1402347147' post='2472564']
HowieBass and others nailed it, I think. This bass part is the very essence of the whole song, IMNTHO, and without it, the song would be insufferable.
[/quote]
I'd rather listen to the isolated bas track from it for an entire day on repeat than listen to another 1:33 with the rest of the band! :P

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1402349420' post='2472600']
I'd rather listen to the isolated bas track from it for an entire day on repeat than listen to another 1:33 with the rest of the band! :P
[/quote]

:lol: Yeah, I know. It is really quite insufferable even with that bass, isn't it? I was being too nouveau-British for a moment.
Those slow movements with simple musical themes divided in two: duh duh duuuuh, duh duh duh duuuuh... :(

BTW, you promised to commit seppuku (harakiri)! You promised! :o :huh: :(

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1402350057' post='2472616']
I think this song was the follow up to their No 1 version of The Beatles OBLADIOBLADA. I dont think it was a big hit though.
I think they were a Scottish band, or was that Badfinger?? :unsure:
[/quote]
They were/are indeed Scottish ,though reflections wasn't the follow up to oh bla di oh bla da...it was a bit later...went to number 3 in the uk and was their biggest seller I believe...two million eventually as opposed to the million or so for the Beatles (rubbish :ph34r: ) song!
I loved a twee song that came later called Rainbow. Junior Campbell was a long time member who went on to have solo hits in the seventies.

A former member of Marmalade came and sang with my duo in Tenerife around 2007....he was not very good , which was a shame because I liked the band a lot!
I told him I thought oh bla di was their worst record and he jokingly pretended to ring Paul McCartney to tell him :rolleyes:

Oh and Badfinger were Australian but brought over to the uk and was the first band signed to Apple.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1402352259' post='2472645']
Pre-PC days. Who, nowadays, would play drums with a Robertson's gollywog on the front head..? :rolleyes: :lol:
[/quote]

When I was very young, I used to live directly across the road from the Robertson's factory in Lewisham.
I used to wake up every morning with a view of a giant gollywog on the front of that building.
At the end of the working shifts, staff when leaving, would hand out gollywog badges to
Us kids hanging around the gates ( I had boxes full of them).

The days of innocence, busy Basslines and hired (named) arrangers and orchestrators
throwing in String and Brass lines at every opportunity on pop songs.

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1402354764' post='2472672']

They were/are indeed Scottish ,though reflections wasn't the follow up to oh bla di oh bla da...it was a bit later...went to number 3 in the uk and was their biggest seller I believe...two million eventually as opposed to the million or so for the Beatles (rubbish :ph34r: ) song!
I loved a twee song that came later called Rainbow. Junior Campbell was a long time member who went on to have solo hits in the seventies.

A former member of Marmalade came and sang with my duo in Tenerife around 2007....he was not very good , which was a shame because I liked the band a lot!
I told him I thought oh bla di was their worst record and he jokingly pretended to ring Paul McCartney to tell him :rolleyes:

Oh and Badfinger were Australian but brought over to the uk and was the first band signed to Apple.
[/quote]

Badfinger were from Wales, although they ended up with a couple of Liverpool lads in the line up.

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1402382760' post='2472727']
Badfinger were from Wales, although they ended up with a couple of Liverpool lads in the line up.
[/quote]
Cool ,thanks for that info....yet another great band from Wales then.......I used to love playing "No matter what", and it always went down well!