Why become a member? ×

Fender turn to U2 for help...

wateroftyne

[color=#1A1A1A][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=4]'Bono and the Edge have done their bit to shape popular music, and save lives with tunes.'[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#1A1A1A][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Don't quite see how they've saved lives with tunes... might be more practical to pay a bit of tax now and then...[/size][/font][/color]

music company finds some successful musicians to join board and help them make stuff for musicians.
Not the stupidest idea ever.

Mind you I imagine if I were thinking of electric guitars, and more the rig and effects and modelling stuff then the Edge wouldn't be the worst guy to have around. Not sure what bono brings to the table though!

Buried further down the piece:

[quote]'The appointment of Bono and the Edge to the Fender board follows the company’s April announcement of Bob Roback as President and member of the board of directors. Roback, who joined from Dashbox where he was CEO, is driving the development of Fender’s digital strategy.' [/quote]

So Fender has a new President! But who is Bob Roback and what does his previous employer Dashbox do? Well, Dashbox is "a cloud-based workflow management system for music licensing." Roback was also "managing director of The Media Farm, where he focused on owning and managing an IP portfolio for multi-platform exploitation".

One wonders what Bono, the Edge and a techno-babbler will be bringing to the business of chopping out retro musical hardware by the barge-load. Factor in also that Fender's current CEO is an 'Interim' and doubts creep in.

I smell BS. I sense imminent disaster.

It shouldnt make any difference to the company and my opinion of Fender, but rather childishly I am now really put off Fender because of their association with them both. I am a relaxed kind of person but I want to smash the TV/Stereo any time I hear or see U2, I just cant stand listening to or looking at either of them.

Saying that I am still not that put off a Pino Signature...

To be fair, the Gretsch Irish Falcon Bono Signature guitar is one of the most collectible instruments I've ever seen come through our store. We got one for a customer who had been after one for years since the first production run and when the second run came out, there were less than 5 that made it to the UK and I spent hours pulling favours with our Gretsch rep to get dibs on it. We had people ringing all day asking about it when it was announced and Fender could have made a fortune from it if they'd produced more but they played it well and made it a desirable model to own.

You can hate them all you want but the record & tour ticket sales speak for themselves. U2 are one of the biggest acts of all time and even if you just attract half of their fan base to buy some U2 branded Fender t-shirts, you'll be in the money, let alone guitars, amps, pedals etc etc etc

Fender know what they're doing with stuff like this.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1401427327' post='2463463']
I wonder how long it will be before Fender realise that they still haven't found what they're looking for.
[/quote]

Why the red light? Rejoice! In a little while it may be even better than the real thing.

A poor move by a company that appears to be in trouble. They have a popular, high profile brand but don't seem to know how to make the most of it. I can't see how bringing in 2 people that could potentially put people off the brand and aren't synonymous with the company will help.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1401443539' post='2463609']
A poor move by a company that appears to be in trouble. They have a popular, high profile brand but don't seem to know how to make the most of it. I can't see how bringing in 2 people that could potentially put people off the brand and aren't synonymous with the company will help.
[/quote]

Maybe not synonymous but definitely heavily involved. Both Adam Clayton and Bono have high-end signature Fender/Gretsch instruments and The Edge has done a number of interviews and promo stuff for Fender (most recently talking about the Telecaster in the promos for the 60th anniversary edition Telecaster)...

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1401443919' post='2463618']

Maybe not synonymous but definitely heavily involved. Both Adam Clayton and Bono have high-end signature Fender/Gretsch instruments and The Edge has done a number of interviews and promo stuff for Fender (most recently talking about the Telecaster in the promos for the 60th anniversary edition Telecaster)...
[/quote]

Most would associate the Edge with Gibson ( an Explorer being his first guitar). The other two use their guitars as costume jewelery. They haven't had a long term relationship with the brand that Steve Harris has had, for example. Sig models don't really make them Fender people through and through.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1401444582' post='2463627']

Most would associate the Edge with Gibson ( an Explorer being his first guitar). The other two use their guitars as costume jewelery. They haven't had a long term relationship with the brand that Steve Harris has had, for example. Sig models don't really make them Fender people through and through.
[/quote]

The problem is that it's a business and outside of the bass community (which in the grand scheme of things is actually pretty niche in a business sense) nobody really knows much of Steve Harris. You mention Maiden and they're with you but his name doesn't have the same level of instant brand recognition as The Edge or Bono. I'm not saying it's right or that I agree it's a good move but I can understand why the Fender board think it is good business. Whether it is will remain to be seen but if their bigger involvement brings as much success to Fender as their previous lesser involvement, then I'm sure Fender will be happy.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1401443539' post='2463609']
A poor move by a company that appears to be in trouble. They have a popular, high profile brand but don't seem to know how to make the most of it. I can't see how bringing in 2 people that could [b]potentially put people off the brand[/b] and aren't synonymous with the company will help.
[/quote]

And could potentially attract people too. U2 aren't one of the world's biggest bands for nothing.

For each of the weirdos who won't buy Fender because two of U2 are on the board there'll be another weirdo who is attracted to Fender because two of U2 are on the board. Most people will be normal about it and will judge the instruments on their own merits, not who the board of directors are.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1401442903' post='2463597']
Again - not sure what they add.
Yes Bono is a good investor but that's not the same as steering company direction
[/quote]

More likely that Bono has access to a very expensive and competent financial analyst and listens to him about where to put his money.