Why become a member? ×

Nice bit of groovy Get Lucky

Mudpup

Mr Kabas is always good imo bar one vid.. i disagree about the slapping. very tastefully done. can't see a problem with it at all, if anything, it adds a bit of bite to the groove. great vid thanks for posting MudPup. :) i really do think sometimes some people have an inherent hatred of slap bass, and can't seem to distinguish bad slap from good slap, but its all subjective of course. :)

Edited by bubinga5

Reason for asking who was playing was because I really, really disliked this and didn't want to offend anyone here :(

Nathan East's original part sits perfectly in the song and is one of my favourite disco/pop bass lines in recent years.

The vid version above is, to my ears, just horribly overplayed and doesn't work at all.

I can understand the reason for playing like this and appreciate the technique but this is exactly the sort of playing that would not get the job if played at an audition.

Or maybe I'm just getting old :)

No doubting the guys ability, way way way above mine but I thought it a little busy and it detracted from the groove of the song.
Not saying the guy doesn't have groove, far from it, just a tad too much going on for my taste.
B)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1401012956' post='2459009']
Reason for asking who was playing was because I really, really disliked this and didn't want to offend anyone here :(

Nathan East's original part sits perfectly in the song and is one of my favourite disco/pop bass lines in recent years.

The vid version above is, to my ears, just horribly overplayed and doesn't work at all.

I can understand the reason for playing like this and appreciate the technique but this is exactly the sort of playing that would not get the job if played at an audition.

[/quote]

Got to agree....
I normally think the gtr in the bands covering this track is key and if they can't get it..the song/groove has no chance,
but this is just plain WRONG... and screws the track out of sight as badly as any hack gtr I've heard..

Well first things first, I do like slapping, I do like folks stretching
Out on these YouTube vids, otherwise you might just as well post this
In that Tribute Band thread that is knocking around.

But this guy playing in the vid is messy, and is crawling all over
The Guitar part, he is not using his ears and listening.
There is no solid (1), and no drive with the kit.
I know he is just having a bit of fun, and normally I like this guy,
But this one should have stayed in his Video folder.

[/quote]

I'm kinda with you on this. IMO the slap was a little out of place and the 'groove' that the other guys think is great I can't seem to hear. The actual groove from Nate's original part seem to have been lost and the playing in this video is just a little bit clinical and overplayed and loses the groove as a result (IMO).

No doubt that the playing is technically good but it just doesn't feel right. It doesn't make me want to groove along like the original and that's the whole function of Nate's playing in the original.

Now, normally I hate all these "check out this video" links for all the usual reasons. And I absolutely love the bass playing on Get Lucky anyway.

But that video is really cool, I love it. Especially if you consider it as a guy jamming along to a cool track, not as a guy trying to replace the original line.

Edited by uncle psychosis

Very well played and although it didn't need it, the slapping was well done. Ok, it's flashy and overdone, but the guys just mucking about, so why not embellish a bit? I do go for the less is more school of thought generally, but still can appreciate talent when I hear it. Stop knocking the guy, he done good !

Nice vid of a guy playing along a track and having some fun.
He is NOT standing on a stage having certain responsibilites, and we do not know how he would have chosen to play the bass line were he to be in such a position.
I liked it.

Uncle P is spot on. and i think you lot are being picky. . know ones saying that this would work in the context of the song to be released as a record. this is just a guy playing along to a record and should be seen as such.

but his playing is very exciting imo. yes its experimental, and yes he's having fun. but that doesn't stop it being some great playing. i love hearing guys like this playing a bass part to there own. especially one as good as Mr Kabas.

he's a great bass player with huge groove. really can't see the problem with anything I'm hearing. but as always, the word subjective is a must.

Edited by bubinga5

Finger style bit at the start sounded good (but a bit too busy for the track IMO). Slap bit just seemed unnessecary to me and sounded very out of place. Saw a few of that guys videos and he tends to (to my ear) either be exceptional or playing really out of context and not listening to the actual track. He's still better than I am and probably will be.

[/quote]

I have to agree I'm afraid. It completely changed the feel of the song, and not for the better.

Also, apart from chucking a bit of slap in, he didn't vary his line like I was expecting?

Anyway, I'm off to learn it....

I found it a little too busy. The problem for me is that Nathan East's original line sits perfectly within the song and yet is so simple, so when you hear it being overplayed it sounds fiddly. Having watched some of his other vids, this guy is a very good player and he's only goofing around so as long as he's enjoying himself, good for him.