Why become a member? ×

Music triggering memories

Graham

I was listening to Focus by Cynic earlier, and like every time I listen to that album, I smelled amonia. This is because the first time I heard the album, my mum was having her hair coloured and so there was a smell of amonia in the house.

Truth be told, it's not the most pleasant association to have with a great record, but there it is nonetheless, does anyone else have pieces of music that evoke strong, specific memories?

I fell ill with a bad cold when I was 19, and spent a couple of days in bed with nothing but medicine, a best of Muddy Waters cassette and The Alien Trilogy book.
Every time I hear Muddy Waters now, I get images of the dark, eerie spaceship corridors and the chilling feeling of impending doom.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1400175732' post='2451521']
Repeated listening to Aladdin Sane by Bowie while discovering music, booze, drugs and girls. That was a year.
Every time I hear a track from it I'm right back there making a fool of myself. :)
[/quote]
Sounds better than a vaguely unpleasant smell :-)

Music is intrinsically linked to memory for just about everybody, Graham, myself included. As Oscar Wilde said , music is the art which is most nigh to tears and memory. Recall and romantic association are central to how music affects us .

Every time I hear Stars by Simply Red I think I am in a takeaway waiting for a pizza . Every time I hear the Dave Mathews Band . I feel like I am being tortured at Guantanamo Bay all over again.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1400176967' post='2451537']...Every time I hear the Dave Mathews Band . I feel like I am being tortured at Guantanamo Bay all over again.
[/quote]

So they got you too,huh..? :ph34r:

I would hum the opening bars of Schubert's Ninth with each of our kids as babies, to sooth them to sleep on my shoulder. Worked a treat; every time I hear it (which is quite often...), I'm transported back to those early parenting days/nights. Wonderful, powerful stuff, music. :)

I recently bought All Those Wasted Years by Hanoi Rocks, as it was in my tape-player in my car for most of 1986. Has put a big grin on my face, nearly as big as my hair was back in those days! Happy days they were, and made even happier by such great music.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1400176967' post='2451537']
Music is intrinsically linked to memory for just about everybody, Graham, myself included. As Oscar Wilde said , music is the art which is most nigh to tears and memory. Recall and romantic association are central to how music affects us .

Every time I hear Stars by Simply Red I think I am in a takeaway waiting for a pizza . Every time I hear the Dave Mathews Band . I feel like I am being tortured at Guantanamo Bay all over again.
[/quote]

Every time I hear Simply Red I feel as if I am still being tortured...

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1400175403' post='2451517']
I was listening to Focus by Cynic earlier, and like every time I listen to that album, I smelled amonia. This is because the first time I heard the album, my mum was having her hair coloured and so there was a smell of amonia in the house.

Truth be told, it's not the most pleasant association to have with a great record, but there it is nonetheless, does anyone else have pieces of music that evoke strong, specific memories?
[/quote]

This theme tune actually tastes of cocoa & toast with strawberry jam on - because it used to be on straight after bath-time of a Sunday night when I was a little kid. I can actually taste it every time I hear it...........
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqONgYHYo88"]https://www.youtube....h?v=eqONgYHYo88[/url]

Great thread. So many memories it's difficult to choose just one.
But if I had to choose I think I'd say That's the Way I Like It bt KC and the Sunshine Band.
It's not the kind of music I normally like, and I don't posses it in any format. Hence it hasn't become overlaid with different memories. So whenever I hear it I'm right back to the year I left school, long hot summer nights and a certain boy...
Magic memories :-)

Don't be ashamed, Hobbayne! You didn't write that song!

BTW, I think you'll find there are actually up to a dozen other people on BC who've had adolescent fumbles in their then girlfriends' bedrooms as teenagers, and who only later turned to the bass guitar.

I got hold of a copy of Live and Dangerous by Thin Lizzy a few years back. Put it on the CD player, when it got to Southbound I was was hit with a wave of nostalgia and transported back to one of the students union bars at Cardiff. Whilst I know some of the other songs quite well, I don't really recall hearing Southbound before. How weird is that?

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1400257088' post='2452396']
Whenever I hear anything by Rage Against The Machine it always reminds me that I can't stand Rage Against the Machine.
[/quote]

:lol:

I'll present this to my son the RAtM fan.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1400260434' post='2452448']
:lol:

I'll present this to my son the RAtM fan.
[/quote]

There are thousands of other bands/artists I could have used mentioned instead - they were just the first that came to mind.

I dislike far more music than I like. :)