Why become a member? ×

I'd love to get this one but they are asking silly money - Squier P JV series

Grand Wazoo

I bought the very same one in Sunburst back in 1983 for £230 new, that was stolen in 1985. Best P Bass I have ever had.

Still the prices which these basses are reaching is becoming ridiculous.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1983-JV-SQUIER-BY-FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-GUITAR-FIESTA-RED-WITH-HARD-CASE-/141272062838?&_trksid=p2056016.m2516.l5255"]http://www.ebay.co.u...016.m2516.l5255[/url]

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1399658220' post='2446458']
.... Best P Bass I have ever had. ....

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1983-JV-SQUIER-BY-FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-GUITAR-FIESTA-RED-WITH-HARD-CASE-/141272062838?&_trksid=p2056016.m2516.l5255"]http://www.ebay.co.u...016.m2516.l5255[/url]
[/quote]
Says it all, really.. if it was that good it's worth the money, surely?

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1399715798' post='2446882']
Buy a current Squier CV in Fiesta Red and wait 30 years? :lol:
[/quote]

Well I did, but they're not quite in the same league, I had to completely modify it, pickups, pots and wiring loom well below par. The CV had Mickey Mouse machine heads too. [size=4]Whereas all the parts from the JV were original American Fender parts sent to Japan to be assembled there.[/size]

[size=4]So no not really worth keeping it 30 years expecting it to be just as sought after in my opinion.[/size]

Looks like you're going to have to put a bid in for that JV then!

Taking inflation into account, £230 back in 1983 is the equivalent of £678 in today's money...

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

Edited by HowieBass

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1399703924' post='2446763']
I know that it has a replacement bridge, but unless I'm missing something else, that's pretty much what these are going for.
[/quote]

indeed i noticed others similar on fleabay all being advertised by hungry opportunists ;)

ffs dont they know it's a buyers market! :unsure: tsk

edit -squier affinity 150 - gotoh style heavy bridge 20 - wizard hammers 70 - total cost 240 beer tokens worth of awesomeness :D

Edited by steve-bbb

Same here. I had an original one when they first came out, and it was fantastic, but no way was it any better than a lot of other basses ive had over the years, my CV and VM Squeirs included.

£200 back then was a steal, but now there are so many better, and cheaper alternatives to the overpriced ones that im surprised anyone buys them now.

They are a business seller and have the bass advertised for £695 on their own website:

http://shop.musical-money.co.uk/guitars/3127-1983-jv-squier-by-fender-precision-bass-guitar-fiesta-red-with-hard-case.html

I got a JV Seriies Jazz back in 1983, and I think my dad paid £215 quid for it. I remember the day I got it. A lovely bass for what it was , but not worth anything remotely like some of the crazy money those basses are selling for now.

I also picked up a secondhand sunburst JV Precision in 1987 for £30, so the idea that someone would ask me for upwards of £800 for one now is so ridiculous as to be funny.

They were very good Fender- style budget basses, but that is all they were. The nearest modern equivalent would be something like the Fender Roadworn basses. One of those would probably be a much better buy all round than any JV Series bass, The legend which has grown up around these Squiers is exactly that, a legend. What people are paying for is largely a mixture of nostalgia and bullshit,

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1399716807' post='2446901']

Whereas all the parts from the JV were original American Fender parts sent to Japan to be assembled there.[/quote]
Are you sure about that? AFAIAA the only US parts known to have been fitted to JVs were the pickups on the very first Strats.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1399750807' post='2447367']
Are you sure about that? AFAIAA the only US parts known to have been fitted to JVs were the pickups on the very first Strats.
[/quote]

Yes I am sure, the parts imported directly from US were, pickups, bridges, pots and looms, pick guards , machine heads, body cutting jigs, and even neck blanks only for the whole maple neck / maple fingerboard necks.

This from the Fender book "The Golden Era of Fender"

[i]"Fender acted by setting up its own official Japanese manufacturing operation, Fender Japan, in March 1982. A joint U.S.-Japanese venture, Fender Japan [u][b]produced guitars with material and technical support from Fender’s U.S. facilities[/b][/u]; Japanese manufacturing facilities even included factories that had been producing the aforementioned Fender copies. By May, Fender Japan had six vintage instruments—’57 and ’62 Stratocaster models, a ’52 Telecaster, ’57 and ’62 Precision Bass® models and a 62 Jazz Bass®."[/i]

When I took mine to the Bass centres Chris, the very knowledgable tech there told me the main selling point of the JV (now, as opposed to when they came out) was that the necks came out of the same factory as the Frnder necks. It's the neck that's the collectible bit.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1399717584' post='2446914']
Looks like you're going to have to put a bid in for that JV then!

Taking inflation into account, £230 back in 1983 is the equivalent of £678 in today's money...

[url="http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html"]http://www.thisismon...anged-1900.html[/url]
[/quote]

So the price is spot on, cool.

Mmmm... with the passage of time, the memories become clouded and then other, possibly younger, people come along and take bits of the story, embellish it and before you know it we have genuine mythology.

By the late seventies, Fender couldn't make a decent guitar in the states. Under CBS's ownership, standards had fallen and the focus on what their products were actually for had been lost. Most intelligent and informed players preferred the replicas or copies which were being made by the Japanese companies such as Tokai, Fuji Gen and Matsumoku.

It's not difficult to manufacture a good Fender style instrument - it's a simple, industrial design intended for mass production - but care has to be taken and things have to be done properly and this is where Fender US had lost its way. When CBS sold what was left of Fender in a management buy out, the new owners decided to go to the competition and ask them for help. By licensing the designs to one of these companies, they could introduce instruments at competitive price points, keep the name alive and buy time to get their own domestic production up and running again.

And this is what happened. The Squiers were a runaway success and the lessons in manufacture were transferred back to the States. Apart from some pickups in certain early Strats, the components were *not* US manufactured. Neck blanks may well have been sent to Japan, but they're just blocks of wood. All of the skill and craftsmanship was Japanese.

In fact, if my own now clouding memory serves me well, when the much lauded American Vintage Reissue series was initially launched (now known as Fullerton Era AVRI) the production line was not quite ready in the States and the first batches of instruments were Japanese necks and bodies finished and assembled in the States with American components!

The strategy worked. Fender which could well have just disappeared is now a dominant force in the guitar market.

So are the JVs worth the money? Yes and no. they were unquestionably better quality than the domestic Fender production at the time, but no better than Tokai, Ibanez, Aria, Greco etc. etc. But look at the prices that 70s US fenders are achieving now and once again, the JV seems like a good deal.

Me, I prefer the Tokais. :)

Cheers

Ed

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1399751548' post='2447379']
Yes I am sure, the parts imported directly from US were, pickups, bridges, pots and looms, pick guards , machine heads, body cutting jigs, and even neck blanks only for the whole maple neck / maple fingerboard necks.

This from the Fender book "The Golden Era of Fender"

[i]"Fender acted by setting up its own official Japanese manufacturing operation, Fender Japan, in March 1982. A joint U.S.-Japanese venture, Fender Japan [u][b]produced guitars with material and technical support from Fender’s U.S. facilities[/b][/u]; Japanese manufacturing facilities even included factories that had been producing the aforementioned Fender copies. By May, Fender Japan had six vintage instruments—’57 and ’62 Stratocaster models, a ’52 Telecaster, ’57 and ’62 Precision Bass® models and a 62 Jazz Bass®."[/i]
[/quote] I'm not sure that's true... some of the first strat's had neck radius more in common with the grekko's that the factory had made before. The JV stuff also seems to use metric screws and parts - suggesting japanese origin.
Were Fender USA even making vintage reissues prior to 82 which they could then take the parts and jigs from to send to japan? late 70's early 80's fenders I don't think had things like the router hump in the lower horn that the JV and later US reissues copied from the 50's 60's originals. Nor P bass single ply white scratch plates or threaded bridges....