Why become a member? ×

Band Promotion; alternatives to Facebook or a website?

solo4652

My new band's been caught on the hop. We've only been together 2 months and the gigs have started coming in. We need to put together something quickly to show photos, videos and audio files to prospective venues and gigs - something like a cross between Facebook and a website. We have thrown together a Soundcloud page but that doesn't really carry images. Shopping list;

Quick and easy to set up with by somebody with no experience whatsoever of coding, Twitter, Facebook, web design. PLEASE don't get technical with me - I'm still using a steam-powered slide rule here.

Free

Will show band photos, videos, audio files

Easy to update content

Can send a link to prospective venues and gigs for them to see and hear the band

Don't need or want others to be able to "like/unlike", "follow", repost or comment

All suggestions gratefully received.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1399103303' post='2440977']
Why not Facebook?
[/quote]

Yep... I'd say a simple FB page would be far more use to you at this stage of your progress. and its free.
A website takes more determined admin and has yearly costs to maintain ( domain name ) and host.

It may well be a goal at a later point but atm, you could argue what will a website do for you.
Agents and Bookers might want a website...for credibility, more than anything else... but landlords
often don't have a website themselves.

Agreed. That's one of the reasons we don't particularly want something that needs constantly updating. Just need a simple "shop window" that demonstrates what we look and sound like without all the ongoing liking, unliking, sharing, reposting, messaging, remessaging, following etc that you seem to get with TwitFace.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1399369028' post='2443417']
has everyone gone off bandcamp? I always thought bandcamp looked pretty good
[/quote]

Bandcamp's fantastic for many reasons, but it's geared more towards selling your music than general promotion - e.g., I don't think there's an easy way to list your upcoming gigs on there.

Use what the people you are trying to work for use...and if you are doing pubs, then most pubs use FB, IME.
Easy to keep upto date and network....which is THE most important aspect of them.

Websites are more useful when you have clients willing to search you out and research you but you need better paying gigs
to make them worthwhile unless you have somewhere very cheap/free for them to live/host.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say wordpress - it's an easy blogging site that you can use then link to your soundcloud/bandcamp for the tracks.

The thing I like about it is that it's not a social media site, it's basically your site without the pain of coding/hosting & stuff - you could spend £15 and get your own address too so you're not having to advertise for them on your flyers etc...

Surely Facebook is your best bet? Everything else looks dead and goes out of date incredibly quickly. You need interaction/ likes/ comments. People need to know what the stage times are and all that and will want to ask questions. It's best to interact with people interested in your band- not stay removed.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1401439360' post='2463544']
Though a lot of people aren't on Facebook, so you'll need something else too.
[/quote]

Virtually everyone who follows music or plays in a band is on FB now. The ones that aren't find it difficult to organise gigs and let their fans know what's going on. Musicians who resist it seem to have some misguided notion that's it's somehow more vulgar to self promote and 'like' in the way FB protocol demands ...but it's really nothing at all.

I was referring to audience rather than bands/promoters - a large proportion of people above the age of 25 are not on Facebook, this is unfortunate as it's the age group that spends the most on music. Add to this that a lot of people that use Facebook only do so to contact friends rather than using email/phone/(god forbid) seeing them - many (including myself) do not follow bands or other commercial entities because they don't want their daily feed on holiday photos & memes to be interrupted by advertising.

So yes - Facebook will reach many & so it could be worth doing one but you'll need something else too and in my opinion blogs are better than another social media account & easier than proper websites.