Why become a member? ×

NBD! Fender P Bass

Weststarx

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1398541082' post='2435134']
OK Weststarx, we need the full story - what exact model is this? I'm guessing it's new. What else did you try, and what was it about this bass that said to you 'Take me, I'm yours'?
[/quote]

Right,

The bass is a MIM Standard Precision Bass. Brand new indeed!

I've played a load of different bass' in the past but nothing played as nicely to me as my red precision (the one in my display picture - same model as the black one) so I decided to sell everything that I didn't get on with and thought I would just stick to the P Bass as the only type of bass I play.

I love the tone and playability of the Precision Bass and I just feel so at home with them I don't think I will bother with anything else anymore.

The only thing I don't like about Fender guitars is the awful pickguards they put on them - as they make the guitars and bass' look 'cheap' IMO, so I've changed them to black ones which gives it a nicer/mean look to them.

I also play with a pick and found that bass guitars that have a pickup near to the bridge always got in the way of the pick and I ended up clattering the pickup which sometimes makes a horrible sound. With the P Bass I never had the problem as the pickup is in the centre of the body, so it just feels really comfortable to play.

Basically a Precision Bass to me feels like an extension of me, like an extra limb.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1398541947' post='2435142']
Good call on the p/g change. Just need to change the neck to maple to make it perfect. ;)
[/quote]

Never liked the feel, tone or look to a maple neck. Always been a lover of the rosewood!

Dare I say it but I think until these bass' get too old to play I'm not going to have GAS for anything else! Maybe I will buy another colour though haha!

Nice one, fully agree with both the comments about Precisions and not bothering with anything else (though I get Jazz urges every now & then) and re the pickguards. Aside from on white basses, I just don`t like white pickguards.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1398545788' post='2435199']
Nice one, fully agree with both the comments about Precisions and not bothering with anything else (though I get Jazz urges every now & then) and re the pickguards. Aside from on white basses, I just don`t like white pickguards.
[/quote]

Yeah I have to agree with that as well

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1398546361' post='2435210']
Congrats on the new bass!

I've come to a similar conclusion that a precision is all I need! Granted, one of my Precisions has a 3 band EQ and a Jazz pickup in the bridge but the sentiment still holds true :P
[/quote]

I was interested in the Fender FSR 'PJ Precision bass' in Seafoam Green but again was worried about the Jazz pickup being in the way. Shame because I absolutely love the colour.

Nice work. Yes, plenty of others out there find a P bass just 'fits', myself included. Doesn't stop the GAS though, however I've never found anything I like as much as a good P, and ultimately anything else eventually gets sold/traded to fund another P bass.

Agree with the pick guard swap, to me white/black only works with a maple neck, and even then it looks better gold as per '57.

Precisions are just amazing - I tried an Indonesian squier VM p and it totally turned my head such that the bass doc built me an awesome 70s p replica in sunburst / maple / black.

I keep trying to find a jazz that's as good and keep failing

Love my mex P, a good setup was all that was required to get it sounding spot on. I wind the tone almost right down to get rid of the twangy top end and it just seems to work. Bassists much better than me say it sounds great, so I'll take that. It is the bass I use for gigs at new venues when I'm not sure how drunk the punters are so don't want to take out the vintage J. The J is much smoother and mellow, but the P has the punch. I change between them regularly just for some variety. What more would you need?

I have the CAR P but the white pick guard is the triple layer, the middle being black. I like the simple lines with the hint of a coachline along the edge of the guard.

Cheers,
Rich

I've also discovered the magic of the passive Precision - something about the simplicity of a single pickup and single tone control that makes it so well suited to rapid and direct changes in playing technique and style. I'm also particularly impressed with the quality of the Squier VM made (by Cort) in Indonesia. If I could own just one instrument it would have to be a P bass!

And that black on black looks great :)

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1398554410' post='2435298']
Hey Weststarx is Gig Gear the old Machinehead Music shop in Harlow under a
new name ? Been about 27 year since I was last down that way.

Braw Bass Ye Got There
[/quote]

I have no idea to be honest with you!

Its only the second time I've been there, funny because each time I've come out with a P bass haha

I've got a 2011 MIM P in Oly white with a black P/G it's beautiful! The maple neck and board just give it a lovely zing! Though I am dying of GAS for a 60s P bass! Preferably all original with a rosewood neck and 3 tone sun burst! There's nothing like a P, except my 4003! I have to all day long change basses to get true satisfaction!

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1398547092' post='2435217']
I was interested in the Fender FSR 'PJ Precision bass' in Seafoam Green but again was worried about the Jazz pickup being in the way. Shame because I absolutely love the colour.
[/quote]

I have to say I'm still tempted by that one, purely for the finish. The Jazz pickup has never been a problem for me, but that's more likely to be because I learnt on a P/J to start with, and then my Active P had been my only bass up until last summer when I bought a 'proper' passive P.