Why become a member? ×

Has ANYONE got a current contact number for Jon letts of Lettsbass?

Shockwave

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1398793040' post='2437676']
I really don't know why he did the whole basschat low price deal thing.... what's the point in offering that sort of thing unless you can deliver on it?
[/quote]

Cashflow?

I've had a few updates, pictures, details about finish etc. I was told my bass would be ready two weeks ago but then nothing and a couple of emails from me subsequently .....well no reply yet. It's a shame because the bass looks fantastic and he has been very patient with some of the changes of mind I have had during the process. I know that it is near completion at least. By the way mine wasn't anything to do with the Basschat deal I was impressed by his work from pics and reviews I'd seen on here. It's my first custom build so I had envisaged a slow turnaround however the lack of regular communication as others have said is very frustrating.

Before my dad retired from his business, he had a system he called his P.N.S. system for late payers.

P = Polite letter.

N = Nasty letter.

S = Solicitors letter.

The N letter threatened the use of the S letter and usually had the desired effect.

I'd skip the P and go straight to the N threatening the S.

:)

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1398792455' post='2437667']

I feel embarrassed for not noticing this. Apologies folks.

Would I be correct in assuming that all of the communication/long delays relate to basses that were offered as part of a low price deal? He seems to be extremely busy in relation to full price instruments (double necks etc).

I myself was teetering on the brink of placing an order a couple of years ago...but in all honesty I wouldn't dream of it now.
[/quote]

Mine is one of the low cost deal types. Jon had said he has put mine behind other more recent orders that paid full whack. So when is mine going to get done as there are always going to be orders put ahead of mine? I paid for a service and I should get the same service that others get regardless of how much I paid.

I heard of dudi recently asking for his money back because of the delay. Jon said he can't give the money back and would have to sell the bass before he could do that...

Edited by Shockwave

What has been said in this and similar threads seems to indicate that a bass builder and good person is in deep trouble right now, and sees his world falling apart.
In case this is correct, no factual legal or felt moral rights the customers have are gonna change that, and I think the only thing that will help is if Jon is allowed to slowly crawl out of his deep hole, whether that be "just" or "unjust".

Edited by BassTractor

I'm not going to comment on the rights and wrongs here. But, I met Jon Letts when he was starting off in the business as previously he worked for the same employer as me. And, I feel very sad that things have reached their current state.

Edited by Annoying Twit

Where to start? There are several reasons why things have been delayed so much.

1. My other half spent a long time in hospital with our son when her waters broke at 26 weeks. They could have died and that was a very bad time for me and my family.
My son was then diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 10 months old. Not many people understand diabetes but let me tell you. It has nowt to do with being a lazy fat bastard. It takes a great deal of care and attention, not just to ensure minimal future health risks but also immediate risks of coma and death. He is now nearly 2 years and takes away much of my time as care outside of hoe care is risky with untrained carers. Mum works full time and I work when I can in between caring for Frankie.
Family comes first! I have tried to get this message across more than once and cannot stress how much we have been affected by this tragic circumstance.

3. The basschat specials have undergone a few unseen changes as a few methods have changed and any bass that is still with me has been updated in line with those changes which has included new headstock caps on more basses than I care to even think about. Pickups have also evolved significantly this year. Rob's six string in particular is a bitch as the pups are twin humbuckers and it is taking a while to get them remade. All changes are aimed at producing the very best instruments I can currently achieve. I could just have thrown the bass out as it was but that isn't the way I work. Quality supersedes completion time in importance every time.

4. Yes, Letts Basses is now a limited company and very much separate from my previous work as a self employed builder. There are more people involved and they are keen to move the business forward which involves getting all of the remaining Letts Basses (sole trader) instruments out of the way before we move to new premises with our much improved and streamlined business model in June. If you see the website and fb you will see huge changes in the way we present ourselves and also the way we take orders which we haven't been able to do for some time.

5. Cash flow! While I was working alone and with all my personal complications cash became a massive problem and affected finish times to a massive extent although work still commenced and I was doing as much as possible and finishing basses one at a time depending on which was easiest/cheapest and would fund the completion of further basses. This is still ongoing.

6. Someone mentioned twin necks and fresh orders. This is simply not the case. Simon's twin neck has been in development for around 3 years but he recognises that the guitar will be one of a kind and perfect for him in every way. We have also not been taking orders for too long now.

So basically I am still here, my old orders are our priority and we fully intend to have them done and done very soon. they're are nearly 15 of these things sitting in my house very many of which are just waiting for one or 2 parts which again, comes down to cash flow and possibly a little bad management on my part. These are issues that we are addressing in the best ways with the very best intentions. Brent is the new customer liaison officer as well as project manager for our future builds.
Unfortunately we got his number wrong on the website. I'll fix that right now.
We are keen to move forward and distance ourselves from this unfortunate mess that has grown out of proportion over the last year. I must reiterate however that things have not been easy for me but I have never shied away from my life and responsibilities as a guitar maker.

I appreciate the concerns of all involved but please rest assured that all instruments are at the top of my mind and itinerary.

Facebook is the best way to reach us now or of course feel free to give Brent a call and we will get back to you asap with whatever info we can muster.

Sorry for any inconveniences caused. Never my intention and we are striving to move forward with the new company and carry on supplying the most original and coolest basses in the world :)

Thanks for your patience and you will all be bass'd up before long.

all the best. JL

Hi this is Brent here , To me sir you sound slightly bitter ! even after Jon has explained (yet again) his circumstances. Is this a personal issue that im not aware of .... for i see no need to keep banging on about damage to the business otherwise. A lot of our builds are from returning customers already.
If you look on the fb and website it is clear that business is good and our only issue is clearing up these things of the past and taking things to the next level. WE ARE NEXT LEVEL!!! :) Peace and love.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1398858245' post='2438300']
Hi this is Brent here , To me sir you sound slightly bitter ! even after Jon has explained (yet again) his circumstances. Is this a personal issue that im not aware of .... for i see no need to keep banging on about damage to the business otherwise. A lot of our builds are from returning customers already.
If you look on the fb and website it is clear that business is good and our only issue is clearing up these things of the past and taking things to the next level. WE ARE NEXT LEVEL!!! :) Peace and love.
[/quote]

I think I'm entitled to be a tad bitter after waiting for three times the quoted timescale for my bass to arrive.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1398860878' post='2438350']
My comment was meant to be taken with a pinch of salt. Sorry buddy. All I was saying was that we have tried to explain the situation as best we can. We are totally aware of the problems and are trying our best to remedy them.
brent xxx
[/quote]

It's definitely your actions from here on in that will make or break the businesses standing on this site at least.

I'd put a pinch less salt into your responses if I'm honest.

I empathise with the problems that have caused this, and hope that everything family wise gets to be settled and well.

I look forward to hopefully hearing some happy reviews, wait times aside, once people orders start being fulfilled.

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1398861253' post='2438358']
It's definitely your actions from here on in that will make or break the businesses standing on this site at least.
I'd put a pinch less salt into your responses if I'm honest.
I empathise with the problems that have caused this, and hope that everything family wise gets to be settled and well.
I look forward to hopefully hearing some happy reviews, wait times aside, once people orders start being fulfilled.
[/quote]

Brilliant post! :)

None of us like to hear about family problems - especially where kids are concerned. But at the same time, there are so many easy methods of communication these days that it shouldn't be too difficult to keep customers in the loop. Most of us would be very understanding!

I haven't got an order with Letts but I haven't read anything in this thread which would convince me to place one. Maybe when people start having their orders honoured, and possibly receiving apologies for the delay and lack of correspondence, I might reconsider. A bit of civility and humility wouldn't go amiss either...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1398879723' post='2438634']
I haven't got an order with Letts but I haven't read anything in this thread which would convince me to place one. Maybe when people start having their orders honoured, and possibly receiving apologies for the delay and lack of correspondence, I might reconsider. A bit of civility and humility wouldn't go amiss either...
[/quote]
I would have to concur with this. Reputation is everything.

The quality of Jon's instruments speak for themselves...but his ability to deal with business matters is under serious scrutiny until proven otherwise.

A word to the wise - the guitar making business is littered with some extremely talented builders who could not manage their business affairs. Hopefully this will have a happy ending for all concerned.

Whilst on a personal level I empathise with the personal problems that Jon Letts has/is experiencing - the bottom line to paying clients is that business is business.

[quote name='lucaskeys' timestamp='1398887721' post='2438748']
Mr. Letts. Id suggest not letting Bret post on behalf of letsbasses.

Also, good luck with your family and business.

-Luke
[/quote]

+1 on family and business, but please, Bret needs to stick to making the tea and be kept away from patronising both existing and potential clients on the internet.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1398889711' post='2438791']
+1 on family and business, but please, Bret needs to stick to making the tea and be kept away from patronising both existing and potential clients on the internet.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. What customer liaison officer worthy of the name would even consider telling disappointed clients that they are “banging on”, whatever the facts of the situation? Good luck with the new business model, Mr Letts - with colleagues like that working for you, you are going to need it.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1398890496' post='2438805']
Sometimes it feels as though you just can't do anything right.
[/quote]

Quite.

Right folks, Jon has explained the situation and has stated that he is working towards removing the backlog before he moves to his new premises in June.

He knows he's had a problem, and we know he's had a problem.
Brent made a faux pas and I'm sure the message has sunken in without needing to be told that repeatedly.

I think we're done here.