Why become a member? ×

John Deacon (Queen)

Mickeyboro

John Deacon's playing always augmented the song without that sense of 'look at me!' that you sometimes get from a virtuoso seeking approval. Even something as simple as Radio Gaga with the e-backbeat has some lovely 'slide' bass easing it along and a lovely wee trill riff as the chorus approaches. That being said, the simplicity of Under Pressure, taking a riff millions probably doodled as they learnt the bass and planking it iconically into the intro as a motif for genius is right up there for me. In fact, is there any Queen song that does not have a synergistic bass line?

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1402772430' post='2476725']
Agreed. He's been there, done it all
[/quote]

Indeed, played with the 14th (?) best selling music act of all time, personally written songs accounting for about 12 million singles sales (Another One bites the Dust alone sold 7 million and charted #1 in 7 countries), penned arguable the most well know bassline in history (under pressure) - where do you go from there ??.

When you read interviews from the other members they're very careful what they say. They avoid contact with him.

The clear message is that he and Freddie were very close and he was devastated when Freddie died and went into depression. The most recent interview alludes to him being in a 'fragile' state.

Very, very sad.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1403509248' post='2483235']
When you read interviews from the other members they're very careful what they say. They avoid contact with him.

The clear message is that he and Freddie were very close and he was devastated when Freddie died and went into depression. The most recent interview alludes to him being in a 'fragile' state.

Very, very sad.
[/quote]

I've never got that impression at all. It always seems that JD simply chose to retire from the public eye after Freddie's death. He has given his blessing to the others for all their recent ventures, he just isn't interested in taking part.
He was never a fan of touring as it kept him away from his family.
I've certainly never seen him referred to as 'fragile', if this is the case it is indeed worrying - are you able to link to the interview?

I must be the only person who isn't really a fan!

I was a MASSIVE Queen fan as a kid, and stayed so right up to the intro of synths (the game), where my interest started to wane. I wasn't aware of bass players much at all back then, and I don't recall ever really 'hearing' JD on a record before Another one bites the dust and Crazy little thing called love. Nothing wrong with him, but I have just never thought about his playing at all. Even now, those two are the only JD basslines that I have any recollection of at all.

Suggest to me a couple of great JD basslines and I'll dig out my old vinyl and see what I think now that I have grown a pair of 'bass' ears in my old age.

Start with Killer Queen.
[url="http://youtu.be/g_N_zNcuL0c"]http://youtu.be/g_N_zNcuL0c[/url]

You're my best friend....
[url="http://youtu.be/68ka0Af87dI"]http://youtu.be/68ka0Af87dI[/url]

...and don't stop me now
[url="http://youtu.be/1ReSk1nNdz8"]http://youtu.be/1ReSk1nNdz8[/url]

to get you started :)

Since this is primarily an appreciation thread, only a couple have mentioned that they weren't fans.
For my part, I just don't think there is anything special to listen to and he was lucky to be part of a successful band
Nothing wrong in that, plenty are lucky enough.
I think I know hundreds of guys ( well, not hundreds, slight exageration :lol: ) who could so the same if in the right place etc, and not discounting band chemistry etc ..
Good luck to the guy...quite admire his supposed stance that the time with Queen has passed after FM died even though
the newer unit with Paul Rogers et al, is far better, IMO. But then without the writing element, they are not much more than a covers/tribute band..but again, nothing wrong with that, they've earned it and bring joy to zillions

Edited by JTUK

I think there are a few top bands in the world whose creativity would have been severly diminished if their bass player had been someone else. The Who, Cream, Chic and Queen are 4 and in my book that puts JD in some very fine company at the top of the bass playing tree.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1403525980' post='2483519']I just don't think there is anything special to listen to and he was lucky to be part of a successful band... the right place etc, and not discounting band chemistry etc ..
Good luck to the guy...[/quote]

Well of course! Isn't that the same with most, if not all successful/famous/iconic bass players? ;)

A lot of it [b][i]is[/i][/b] down to luck - meeting the right people at the right time, making the right note choices, having a musical/compositional talent in the first place...

Still - he wrote (or co-wrote) and played on some of the biggest tunes in recent musical history. Not too shabby in my book B)

I still wouldn't put Deacon in the same camp as Entwhistle or Bruce...neither of whom I particuarly gravited to, as it happnes.
Edwards was more my thing, but the one thing those 3 all have, IMO, is that they took the bass REALLY somewhere else at the time and
that is why the 'deserve' their place.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1403531732' post='2483596']
the one thing those 3 all have, IMO, is that they took the bass REALLY somewhere else at the time and that is why the 'deserve' their place.
[/quote]

Eh? :blink: Nobody here is comparing JD to any other bass players - just saying that he has/had great taste and really added to the overall sound of one of the greatest rock/pop bands of all time (as judged by sales if nothing else).

Why is that so hard to understand? <_<

Edited by Conan

Here's a excerpt from a recent interview where Brian and Roger talk about the current state of play with JD:-

Do you still keep in touch with John Deacon?
May: We don't, really. He doesn't want to. He wants to be private and in his own universe.

Taylor: He's completely retired from any kind of social contact.

Do you ever see or talk to him?
Taylor: No, no. I think he's a little fragile and he just didn't want to know anything about talking to people in the music business or whatever. That's fair enough. We respect that.

May: He still keeps an eye on the finances, though. John Deacon is still John Deacon. We don't undertake anything financial without talking to him.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1403532273' post='2483606']
Eh? :blink: Nobody here is comparing JD to any other bass players - just saying that he has/had great taste and really added to the overall sound of one of the greatest rock/pop bands of all time (as judged by sales if nothing else).

Why is that so hard to understand? <_<
[/quote]

Ok, he has taste in that he doesn't overplay and sounds the part..like a hundred and one zillion others.
If you like the band or are a big fan, you'll think he/they are great and that is fine.

For me, not so great at all.... (but then I thought the whole band were pretenders anyway. IMO.)

Why is that so hard to understand ?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1403540698' post='2483726']
....They could have easily had a Chris Squire....
[/quote]

+1

That was my point, which is why, without making any comparisons, I rate JD's creativity and unique contribution to one of the great rock bands.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1403547250' post='2483793']
Matters of taste aside, I think it is fair to say that John Deacon has a very distinctive style; No-one quite sounds or plays like him, and he brings a certain 'something' to the material which I'm not sure just anyone else could.

JTUK, It's Interesting that you mention Entwhistle and Bruce as 'better'- I would consider their busy, noisy styles quite the antithesis of the things people appreciate about Deacon. That's not to say that they are worse players, but the approach is so different. It's like suggesting JJ Cale isn't very good on the guitar because Stevie Ray Vaughn exists.
[/quote]

I don't class them as 'better' either ( not my words ) and agree about their styles as you describe... I didn't class them as great bass players but did agree that at their time, they took the bass somewhere else...
If you asked me what makes a 'great' bass player, I'd say technical and taste/class.
Only Edwards would qualify on both counts out of that arbitary group, IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1403539961' post='2483716']

Ok, he has taste in that he doesn't overplay and sounds the part..like a hundred and one zillion others.
If you like the band or are a big fan, you'll think he/they are great and that is fine.

For me, not so great at all.... (but then I thought the whole band were pretenders anyway. IMO.)

Why is that so hard to understand ?
[/quote]

Not trying to cause an argument here but I am genuinely astounded by your point of view.

Who else in popular music would you compare him to?

In what way are the band 'pretenders'?

Again, not trying to stir anything up here, just curious.

The big thing about a lot of classic queen is it's piano/vocal led. If you listen to that 'good old fashioned lover boy' in an earlier post it's like chamber music - piano / vocals (Freddie) out front in the mix and on stage, with bass, guitar, vocals supporting. How many cover bands play Queen tunes like they are guitar w***fests, with a 'death metal' approach to bass and drums? - most that I have heard / played in.
There are actually very clever production values in Queen recordings. A classical piano sound, Brian Mays guitar is a distinctive sound used like a garnish rather than gravy, and bass/drums sit perfectly in the mix - bass never fights the piano left hand for sonic space. For me JD is great because he understood all this and chose his moments to shine -or just support. You can say the same for Taylor and May.

Edited by booboo

Yep I agree booboo, the drum mix is brilliant just listen to how sweetly the hi hats cut through without being ear piercing. Everyone sitting just right in the mix and what they chose to play, Deacon is a master at placing a tasteful run just in that one gap in the song without sounded like a failed lead guitarist!