Why become a member? ×

John Deacon (Queen)

Mickeyboro

I'd like to thank you all for having this discussion - I've never really "got" Queen, despite my friends' efforts. I appreciated that JD was a very adept player, so after reading this thread I went and popped on [i]A Day at the Races, [/i]and yes, the bass solo at the beginning of [i]Millionaire's Waltz[/i] is bloody lovely. I may yet be convinced.

Like most British people of a certain age, I grew up hearing and liking Queen without ever really being a fan as such, but when I listen to their music now I realize what a creative band they were with such a unique and distinctive sound. As well as John Deacon, it worth mentioning that Roger Taylor was ( and I expect still is) a very powerful and skillful drummer, and he made a huge contribution to the sound of that band, too. Another underrated player.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1403797017' post='2486547']
Like most British people of a certain age, I grew up hearing and liking Queen without ever really being a fan as such, but when I listen to their music now I realize what a creative band they were with such a unique and distinctive sound. As well as John Deacon, it worth mentioning that Roger Taylor was ( and I expect still is) a very powerful and skillful drummer, and he made a huge contribution to the sound of that band, too. Another underrated player.
[/quote]

As it 'appens, I always had Roger down as the weak link. A classic shed-builder, who can't hit his snare without opening his hi-hat which wears on me pretty quickly.

Doesn't spoil the band for me, though.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1403797488' post='2486556']
As it 'appens, I always had Roger down as the weak link. A classic shed-builder, who can't hit his snare without opening his hi-hat which wears on me pretty quickly.

Doesn't spoil the band for me, though.
[/quote]

I was watching a documentary about Queen where RT was playing in the studio and he was rocking it , big time. Sounded great to me !

One on my favourite Queen tracks is Fat Bottom Girls, and I have always thought he and John Deacon combine supremely well on that track, to my ears anyway.

[quote name='booboo' timestamp='1403555633' post='2483924']
The big thing about a lot of classic queen is it's piano/vocal led. If you listen to that 'good old fashioned lover boy' in an earlier post it's like chamber music - piano / vocals (Freddie) out front in the mix and on stage, with bass, guitar, vocals supporting. How many cover bands play Queen tunes like they are guitar w***fests, with a 'death metal' approach to bass and drums? - most that I have heard / played in.
There are actually very clever production values in Queen recordings. A classical piano sound, Brian Mays guitar is a distinctive sound used like a garnish rather than gravy, and bass/drums sit perfectly in the mix - bass never fights the piano left hand for sonic space. For me JD is great because he understood all this and chose his moments to shine -or just support. You can say the same for Taylor and May.
[/quote]Totes!

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1403904704' post='2487700']
I thought FM had most of the artistic input and control over the final arrangements.
[/quote]

Nope, it's fairly well documented in various interviews, biog's etc.....they were a full on working band of 4. The writer of the song (and as all four wrote this obviously applied to all of them) had the final say on arrangement, sound etc (including vocals). May & Mercury were responsible for the majority of output up until the 'Jazz' album of 78 when Taylor & Deacon started to contribute more (in a writing capacity)

Again a truly unique band (in which the input of JD should not be underestimated) and the like of which we will probably never see again. I make no bones about being a massive fan and was lucky enough to see them live from the 'crazy' tour right up until the final show @ Knenworth in August 86 (the show @ the NEC in Sept 84 being a particular highlight)

One of my favourite ever bassists. I think he had the rare skill of knowing when play fast and melodic fills and when to drop back a bit, which is much harder than people give credit for IMO. I can't imagine him being one of those who when trying a bass in a shop spend half an hour relentlessly slapping! I guess he understood that in some situations less is more... Absolutely love his early Queen bass tone as well, so punchy and fat, wonder what he used for amplification...?