Why become a member? ×

Anybody tired of the bass guitar merry-go-round ?

Black Coffee

After years of choppin n changing and thousands of quid spent and traded.

I think I'm finally tired and bored and wana settle on something.

The grass sometimes was definitely not greener on the other side with some basses and I have many regrets of ones that got away. And then there's the money that is harder to earn, and doesn't buy as much as it used to; and you near have to give stuff away to sell it quickly now.

Anybody else feel fed up with it or am I just getting old?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1397165683' post='2421496']
I don't sell stuff I'll regret selling.
[/quote]

That's the thing though, always thinking you are buying better gear to find out too late that what you had was actually spot on and the new kit is the emperors new clothes. Then you try to change back and only then do you regret it and this is my point, if I stop it and stick to what I know will I be happier?
Probably, and why I'm having a bass built to my own spec.

Maybe I'm just an old git . . . . . . Or my eyes are bigger than my pockets are lined with cash and I'm weary with spending all I earn looking for the perfect bass.

Edited by bassman344

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1397166819' post='2421514']

[/quote]
I wish i knew enough about all things bass to specify a personal custom build and be confident that it's exactly what I want in a bass.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1397174428' post='2421568']
I wish i knew enough about all things bass to specify a personal custom build and be confident that it's exactly what I want in a bass.
[/quote]

And here is exactly where most people go wrong when commissioning a custom build. You don't need to know about these things at all. What you do need to know is how you want your bass to look, sound and feel. I good luthier will be able to take that information and make the right choices of woods, pickups, hardware etc. to produce the bass you want.

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1397166819' post='2421514']
That's the thing though, always thinking you are buying better gear to find out too late that what you had was actually spot on and the new kit is the emperors new clothes. Then you try to change back and only then do you regret it and this is my point, if I stop it and stick to what I know will I be happier?

Maybe I'm just an old git . . . . . . Or my eyes are bigger than my pockets are lined with cash and I'm weary with spending all I earn looking for the perfect bass.
[/quote] I lived with a fella who had a mexican precision. I've played a fair few of precisons over the years and it was one of the best basses I've played. Not depended on cost. The bitsa jazz I'm selling this weekend likewise is an awesome sounding and playing bass - cost has nothing to do with it.
A sadowsky jazz would be higher build quality, it would sound different (not better) and for me - might not be better.
What should I do to it to make it sound as good as that Sadowsky Tal whatsherface plays? Practice (and jam with Jeff Beck)
There's no such thing as a perfect bass. Pick something and play it till it is "your" bass.

BigRedX may come in with the point that different projects may need different looks visually for instruments which I would concede. ;)

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1397174428' post='2421568']

[/quote]

I don't know a lot of tech stuff, don't know a lot about electronics and that stuff. That's for the builder to offer advice with.
I know what I don't like and I know what I prefer if given a choice and what I wish I hadn't bought too.

I like the P sound and also the MM sound, but ain't that fussed on a jazz setup. I prefer passive basses most of the time because I think the sound is easier for me to work with so I need a passive/active option because I don't want to be caught without active just in case I need it. Deep deep blood red finish on a maple top wood body and clear finish on the maple board and neck. 34" scale and 18mm spacing.

I'm goin with this in simple terms in a bid to stop hopping all over the place with instruments.

I may fail spectacularly but if it's what makes me happy I can settle.

Edited by bassman344

I've spent years trying to find a bass that sounded and played as good as a Wal that I played several years ago...

Gave up in the end and ordered one... Should have done that in the first place!

Its not going to stop me acquiring more basses though, I like basses and get a lot of pleasure out of trying different ones out.

Looking for a good P bass at the moment too, fancy an old Tokai Hardpuncher if the right one comes up.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1397201981' post='2421662']
I've spent years trying to find a bass that sounded and played as good as a Wal that I played several years ago...

Gave up in the end and ordered one... Should have done that in the first place!

Its not going to stop me acquiring more basses though, I like basses and get a lot of pleasure out of trying different ones out.

Looking for a good P bass at the moment too, fancy an old Tokai Hardpuncher if the right one comes up.
[/quote]

I don't want to give the idea I'm fed up with bass as that's not the case at all.

I think a large chunk of my discontentment is coming from lack of money. But who isn't struggling, let's be honest.

Edited by bassman344

I wish 1000 times over that I could just be happy with the basses and guitars I've got but theres something inside that wants and drives me towards buying a new one... If I was a billionaire and brought every bass in the world I'd probably end up building my own.

I think it boils down to it being our hobby and passion, whether its playing or collecting.

My Mexican Precision bass is the one for me. When I've been playing other basses and then I go back to it, I have the satisfactory feeling of clean sheets on a bed, or being desperate for the toilet and then letting nature flow, but I still insist on looking/buying other basses just because ''OMG I HAVE A NEW BASS dnuqnd-0dh72!!1!11!''.

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1397199849' post='2421644']
I like the P sound and also the MM sound, but ain't that fussed on a jazz setup. I prefer passive basses most of the time because I think the sound is easier for me to work with so I need a passive/active option because I don't want to be caught without active just in case I need it. Deep deep blood red finish on a maple top wood body and clear finish on the maple board and neck. 34" scale and 18mm spacing.
[/quote]

If this is your ideal bass, then you might consider getting one of these:

http://www.sandberg-guitars.com/basscat-overview/calv-series/calvm

P and MM pickups; push-pull active/passive; any wood/colour/finish/fretboard you want, they'll do it; boutique build quality for just a fraction more than Fender American Standard money (and WAY cheaper than Fender Custom Shop, Sadowsky, Lull et al). Not sure what the standard spacing is on these but if not 18mm they will do it for you as a custom option, and without charging you an arm and a leg for it.

But to answer your original question, no, I'm not tired of the merry-go-round yet, although I do know what you mean. I suspect that the problem might be that we are sometimes too impatient with new basses - if we don't dig them straight away, we immediately feel that we have made a mistake in buying them, so we sell them on and try something else, repeat ad infinitum, when really we should take more time and try to get to really know an instrument and to understand what it can do.

As for the 'happiness is a warm P' thing, I've never understood that. Don't get me wrong - I love Precisions, and learned to play on a Fender USA P. But over the years I have always found them far too limited to cover all of the different kinds of music I want to play. Try playing Chic's 'Good Times' on a P - it sounds terrible!

Conversely, I've never understood why Stingrays are always thought of as a 'one-trick pony'. I think Rays are far more versatile than Ps - in fact, if I was only allowed to have one bass I would probably go for a Ray. But of course YMMV.

Edited by GrammeFriday

I think I put a lot of thought into buying, so I don't envisage selling them anytime soon.
I do have GAS for a Fender Delux J5 but I could also commission a build of that sort as well.
I pretty much know what I want in terms of what it will look like, but things like feel and
sound are in the hands of the builder. I know the guys I want to do this and I know
his build skills are impreccable, but sound is still a leap of faith, to a degree.

But...I am also very happy with my 2 basses and the potential incoming bass
doesn't mean one will go.... but that is a possibility.
Basically, I don't need to do anything, but if I have the money, I may well do.
Besides... 3 basses isn't obscene and they WILL get used live.

This isn't a bass or gear issue, it's a human nature issue. If we could, the majority of us would be doing it with everything, jobs, cars, women...., it's just that with most of those, certainly as we get older we can't. Thanks to Basschat and eBay, we can do it with basses.