Why become a member? ×

Warwick v Spector

rodacademy

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1396806174' post='2417546']
Please don't get the impression that I am being snooty at all about the Euro basses, or indeed the ones made in the Far East, I'm sure they are great . I just wanted to point out that my observations about the sound of Spector basses are derived entirely from the USA models because those are the only ones I have ever encountered . I would love to try a Euro model and compare, and I am sure the law of diminishing returns may well apply to material differences between the Euro and USA models . :)

[/quote]

Well, given the history between Ned Steinberger and Stuart Spector, I would not be at all surprised if it turned out to be the same people in the Czech Republic making the Euro Spectors that make the NS Design instrument line. I don't have any evidence of that - pure conjecture!

If it is the case though, the fact that Ned has now even passed over the production of the top notch, multi- laminate wood/ carbon concentric neck upright basses to the Czech Republic suggests that you would be able to rely on the quality of the Euro basses being of the highest.

Funny, I really like Spectors but I've never found a Warwick that I liked except to look at.

Cheers

Ed

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1396874937' post='2418198']
Well, given the history between Ned Steinberger and Stuart Spector, I would not be at all surprised if it turned out to be the same people in the Czech Republic making the Euro Spectors that make the NS Design instrument line. I don't have any evidence of that - pure conjecture!

If it is the case though, the fact that Ned has now even passed over the production of the top notch, multi- laminate wood/ carbon concentric neck upright basses to the Czech Republic suggests that you would be able to rely on the quality of the Euro basses being of the highest.

Funny, I really like Spectors but I've never found a Warwick that I liked except to look at.

Cheers

Ed
[/quote][quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1396874937' post='2418198']

Cheers

Ed
[/quote]

I seem to remember that they chose the Czech Republic because there is a long tradition of instrument making there, and there were plenty of highly skilled local craftsmen who were already trained in the art of bass making . I know a lot of the best ( and most valuable) double basses were always made in Bohemia. It may well be that the manufacturing quality for upright basses is potentially [i]better[/i] in the Czech Republic than in the U.S.A. I wouldn't be at at all surprised if it was indeed the same craftsmen using their easily transferable skills on the Spector bass guitars.

I also wouldn't be at all surprised if the Czech -made Spectors sounded almost identical to the USA -made basses.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1396878606' post='2418251']
I also wouldn't be at all surprised if the Czech -made Spectors sounded almost identical to the USA -made basses.
[/quote]

Having owned several Euro models (Mk I & II versions) and a full blown USA NS2, there isn't a massive amount in it... if anything! Common sense will dictate that if both are made by the same process, using the same woods/hardware etc then the actual country the work is done in can have no affect on the tone. Differences in preamp can account for some variation... though they can easily be swapped out and 'hand-finishing' by a luthier as opposed to a factory worker might make for a better finished instrument but I'd not be staking my mortgage payments in a blind-fold test! :lol:[size=4] [/size]

I have never played a US Spector, so can't say how they play or sound. All I know is, the Euro is a gorgeous bass with a lovely growl that I have heard from the US basses on YouTube . It's EMG pick ups on my bass so I assume the sound can't be that far removed.

Maybe one day I will pick up a cheap NS , but until then I'm perfectly happy with the lovely Euro

[size=4][quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1396726287' post='2416875'][/size]...they're only poxy bits of wood at the end of the day. :)
[/quote]
[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1396734593' post='2416964']
One for the Basschat quotes thread I think.
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Quote of the year so far, I reckon. :lol:[/size]

Edited by discreet

They're both overpriced... I don't think there'd be sense in buying either new. The used prices are great though (especially for Warwicks). I've played a Spector Euro Rebop 4 that I really had fun with. It was a long time ago though, so I'm not sure what I'd make of it now. I owned a Spector Legend 6 which was just a bad instrument in terms of sound/playability. Sterile and bland. The rosewood on the fingerboard was not a great cut at. I initially put it down to it being of their "budget range" but then realised that it still had nearly a £500 price tag which should yield so much more than this bass offered. Hell, I had my German made Warwick Corvette STD for that much which is hands down one of my favourite basses I've ever played. On the flip side, I've played several Corvette $$ models which weren't particularly impressive instruments.

Edited by Ziphoblat

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1396882253' post='2418330']
They're both overpriced... I don't think there'd be sense in buying either new.
[/quote]
Someone has to, in order for them to become available secondhand.

I love the neck/feel/tone on the early Warwicks but haven't got on with any since

Spectors on the other hand are a completely different ball game as far as I'm concerned. Superb basses at every price point. If you can afford top prices you can get a boutique-style instrument from their US workshop. If your budget is a little more modest then the Euro models are fantastic sounding and playing instruments which to my ears sound 90% as good as the US models.
Below that the Korean made instruments are of excellent quality and great value for money. Spector also have superb customer service and a fantastic reputation built on 40 years of master-building.
Just mho....

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1396726585' post='2416880']
It's a world of difference. I never liked the tone pump or the US Spector preamp so I switched them out.
[/quote]

Sean, do you still have the US preamp?
If so, please PM me as I'd be interested in buying it off you. Cheers!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1396817371' post='2417711']
I was told the other day (by someone connected with Warwick so I've just assumed it's true) that there are no UK dealers selling German made Warwicks any more :(

I've seen a full 2014 price list and I was genuinely surprised at just how high everything was. I always knew the Signature models had gone a bit crazy but thought they were effectively all custom builds so I could understand it.

It's stuff like Streamers and Thumbs that amazed me :(
[/quote] Esp if you compare the prices to some of the genuinely high end stuff in the shop you work in!

For the record - i've a 1991 Streamer Stage one with added ACG EQ-01 preamp and barts, and a 1985 Thumb. Neither are going anywhere.
Spectors have never appealed. I'ld try one mind.
The newer Steinberger designs however....
that I would like to play!

[quote name='cetera' timestamp='1396908998' post='2418753']

Sean, do you still have the US preamp?
If so, please PM me as I'd be interested in buying it off you. Cheers!
[/quote]
I'm on a ferry to France right now but I'll check when I get home at the weekend. I can't remember if I sold it. A search through the for sale forums might reveal the answer though. Poor signal ahoy so I can't really check.

My experience limited to three basses between the brands:[list]
[*]Warwick Corvette Std. (2009 MIG) - nice bass but ultimately not that keen on the shape.
[*]Spector Legend 4 (first series with the P/J pickups) - My first 'proper' bass so I have a soft spot for it, somebody on here I think is the current keeper.
[*]SSD (Spector) NS-94 - Bought on here; mid to late 90s instrument when Spector were having issues using the name in the USA
[/list]
Of the three I think my favourite was the NS-94 for the really creamy tones, the only thing I couldn't get on with was the painted neck. I guess that makes me a Spector man by 2:1 although I have played Mr Bagsieblue's arsenal of Warwicks and he has some lovely basses.

I've heard it said that "A Warwick Streamer is just a copy of a Spector NS" ... yawwwwwwwn!

Both are basically copies of a Ned Steinberger design. This was originally licenced to Spector, fair enough ... but getting away from that, a licence or trademark doesn't affect the playability, tone, or functionality of an instrument. It doesn't guarantee a superior bass. For arguments sake, I'd rather have any Jazz Bass copy made by Sadowski, Celinder, Lakland, Sandberg, etc, etc, than a Fender "original".

I prefer the Warwick take on Steinbergers design, particularly in the attention to tonewoods. I know less about electronics, and in those terms I only know which end-sound I prefer, and yes, it's Warwick every time. Even the aesthetic variances (which Warwick adopted for legal reasons) have created better looking basses, to my eye.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Warwick player, sure ... but that's for good reason. I've played Spectors too and I'm not a fan. I believe that Spector make great basses, but its difficult for someone who is familiar with Warwick Streamers not to be attuned to the relative differences in the instruments, and to make comparisons and taste-judgements as a result. Of the Spectors I've played, I always felt that there was a hole in the guts of the tone somewhere, like they lacked the punch and thrust that I'm familiar with, and there was none of that indefinite "woody vibe" that Warwicks seem to ooze (the ones I know, at least).

Maybe if I'd grown up with Spectors, I'd find something missing with Warwicks ... It's all subjective.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1396910367' post='2418773']
I'm on a ferry to France right now but I'll check when I get home at the weekend. I can't remember if I sold it. A search through the for sale forums might reveal the answer though. Poor signal ahoy so I can't really check.
[/quote]
No worries. I'll PM you to remind you for when you get back mate :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, just a couple of questions as I havnt played a spector before. Has anyone tried an NS2a? It's made by the Kramer factory in Korea in the 80's/90's and apparently are quite good but with slightly different preamp to the us versions. Also does anyone know a store in the NW that has an NS or euro I could try out? I have just recently discovered the best way to cure gas is by actually trying it out!

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1398586066' post='2435414']
Hey guys, just a couple of questions as I havnt played a spector before. Has anyone tried an NS2a? It's made by the Kramer factory in Korea in the 80's/90's and apparently are quite good but with slightly different preamp to the us versions. Also does anyone know a store in the NW that has an NS or euro I could try out? I have just recently discovered the best way to cure gas is by actually trying it out!
[/quote]

I live in the NW, (Merseyside) and have recently purchased a Spector Euro LX from Bass Direct, I don't know of anywhere in the NW where you might try one out but Mark at BD is a stockist for the US and Euro models and has a few in stock at all times, I would seriously recommend you take the time to travel down for the day (in Warwick)… and try not to get distracted by the Aladdin's cave of bass guitars surrounding you.

I know that this will be of no use to the OP but I have always found asking for [i]others [/i]opinions on [i]comparisons[/i] between different [i]basses [/i]to be an utterly [i]pointless [/i]exercise due to subjectivity.

The best way for the OP to [i]discover [/i]what is, for them, [i]the truth [/i]is [i]by personal experience[/i].

Play them and discover........

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1398592920' post='2435507']
...but I have always found asking for [i]others [/i]opinions on [i]comparisons[/i] between different [i]basses [/i]to be an utterly [i]pointless [/i]exercise...
[/quote]

Erm, this is a Bass Forum after all, I would have thought people come, read and post here for that exact thing of other peoples opinions on bass guitars.

If a comparison thread is enough to get people out the front door and trying an instrument out in a music shop, I would say that is far from an 'utterly pointless exercise'?