Why become a member? ×

second hand basses

CHRISDABASS

hey

i cant believe how cheap some of these basses are selling for!! (mainly warwicks)

it really is a buyers market at the moment!

the money ive just spent on my new bass could have bought at least 4 if not 5 second hand warwicks!! its bloody crazy! that red pro m looks awesome for £350!!...........£350 man!!! you cant even really get a mex fender for that!! its insane!!

this "credit crunch" bullshit must really be gettin to everyone! coz prices of secondhand gear seems to have plumetted lately!

is everyone really that skint and desperate for cash at the moment?

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='237441' date='Jul 11 2008, 04:45 PM']is everyone really that skint and desperate for cash at the moment?[/quote]

Quite simply - yes. I know I have much less spare cash than a year ago despite earning a lot more.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='237441' date='Jul 11 2008, 04:45 PM']hey
this "credit crunch" bullshit must really be gettin to everyone! coz prices of secondhand gear seems to have plumetted lately!

is everyone really that skint and desperate for cash at the moment?[/quote]

It's not 'bullshit' & it's more than just due to the 'credit crunch'. With spiralling food,fuel costs, plummeting house values > re-emergance negative equity - most (levelheaded) people are just realising where their priorities should be. Food,home,fuel OR spare instruments knocking around which can be sold - not difficult to understand why it's a buyers' market at the moment.

Edited by nick

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='237455' date='Jul 11 2008, 05:02 PM']You wouldn't believe the meeting we've just had at work... tough times ahead, man.[/quote]
I work in the stock market - frankly I'm lucky to have a job right now. It is going to get worse IMHO

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='237455' date='Jul 11 2008, 05:02 PM']You wouldn't believe the meeting we've just had at work... tough times ahead, man.[/quote]

You know its bad when schools are closing!

Our school has had an axe hanging over it for a few years (along with all of the other Middle schools in our town), it will now (along with 5 other schools) close in 2010 to make way for privatised education and who knows how many of us will be out of jobs. All to save money under the auspice it is to raise standards.

Any way... about these cheap basses :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='237461' date='Jul 11 2008, 05:06 PM']You know its bad when schools are closing!

Our school has had an axe hanging over it for a few years (along with all of the other Middle schools in our town), it will now (along with 5 other schools) close in 2010 to make way for privatised education and who knows how many of us will be out of jobs. All to save money under the auspice it is to raise standards.

Any way... about these cheap basses :huh:[/quote]
SO does anyone want to sell me a Fender 62 Precision Jamerson-alike for, say, £300? :)

It's funny, one of the three partners in my business is a sales guy, and it wasn't until recently that we realised just how good he is. Work hasn't slowed down at all yet - if anything we're busier than ever. This is doing web/IT stuff. I've been doing 50+ hour weeks for most of this year just to keep up.

All your second hand basses are belong to me.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='237461' date='Jul 11 2008, 05:06 PM']You know its bad when schools are closing!

Our school has had an axe hanging over it for a few years (along with all of the other Middle schools in our town), it will now (along with 5 other schools) close in 2010 to make way for privatised education and who knows how many of us will be out of jobs. All to save money under the auspice it is to raise standards.[/quote]

I qualified as a teacher about 5 years ago but went back into engineering (now purchasing) mainly for financial reasons but kept the QTS in the back pocket for a rainy day. Maybe it's time to stop paying my GTC subs...............

[quote name='nick' post='237457' date='Jul 11 2008, 05:04 PM']It's not 'bullshit' & it's more than just due to the 'credit crunch'. With spiralling food,fuel costs, plummeting house values > re-emergance negative equity - most (levelheaded) people are just realising where their priorities should be. Food,home,fuel OR spare instruments knocking around which can be sold - not difficult to understand why it's a buyers' market at the moment.[/quote]

+1 on all that

Looks like the good times are over for some, mind you I read an interview with a property tycoon who offloaded £700 million of assets in January that he had made £200 million on in 3 years and will probably buy the lot back when the market bottoms out for about £500 million then watch the market recover whilst enjoying his £400 million profit.

Lots of people are making a fortune out of this "credit crunch" and a lot of those people created it in the first place, especially the sub-prime mortgage lot.
Who cops for it ? Joe Public as usual.......and I've just started a Bass business...I must be completely mad.....

[quote]this "credit crunch" bullshit must really be gettin to everyone! coz prices of secondhand gear seems to have plumetted lately!

is everyone really that skint and desperate for cash at the moment?[/quote]

A pawnbrokers / secondhand shop in town has a Dark Red Yamaha RBX 374 with a Gator ABS hard case for £110.00 !
He was asking £170 a week ago.....I may be cheeky and offer £80.00 would that be a fair price ? :)

The thing is, if you're in a decent job you'll be fine, as it stands i don't know that many people suffering from this 'credit crunch', but i am only 17... though i drove past the petrol station earlier (in a friend's car), diesel was £1.39 a litre, that's gone up 12p in about 5 weeks! Jesus christ, i can't help thinking that a lot of this is due to people just being greedy. Also the americans for being in so much damn debt, same over here though to an extent.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='237746' date='Jul 12 2008, 01:27 AM']i can't help thinking that a lot of this is due to people just being greedy.[/quote]
Me neither. I would love to know why prices are sky rocketing. I don't see much has really changed apart from the cost of credit.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='237753' date='Jul 12 2008, 01:45 AM']Me neither. I would love to know why prices are sky rocketing. I don't see much has really changed apart from the cost of credit.[/quote]
apart from oil being slightly harder to come by, but surely not enough to increase the price of petrol and diesel by about 30% in the last year or less?

[quote name='budget bassist' post='237762' date='Jul 12 2008, 02:00 AM']apart from oil being slightly harder to come by, but surely not enough to increase the price of petrol and diesel by about 30% in the last year or less?[/quote]

But the price of oil impacts the price of everything else, due to increased costs of haulage. And of course there's the whole side-effect of biofuels becoming more popular as oil becomes more expensive, which pushes up food prices.

The other day I heard the only growth area in the British economy at the moment is in frozen foods and freezers - everybody's looking for cheaper ways to eat.

Irrespective various peoples' interpretations of the cause, we're definitely on the brink of a major economic slow-down.

As levels of debt rise, people will try to sell off all the expensive items that they've been persuaded to buy in better times, only to discover that everyone's in (more or less) the same boat.
Result? The second-hand market is flooded with the Mk.1 version of everything just as the manufacturers conveniently release the Mk.2
This greatly deflates the perceived value of peoples' goods, compelling them to sell MORE of their belongings at silly prices to get enough money to get by.

Congrats on the new bass, CHRISDABASS. I hope you never find yourself in a position such that you have to sell on some of your belongings just to feed your family or put a roof over their heads...

ooh its all got a bit serious!!

i'd rather talk about basses but hey!! :)

yeah bills, food n stuff have gone up but there's not a lot any of us can really do about it! just gotta get on with it really i suppose!

i do hate the way this country is run and how we all pay way over the odds for everythin through tax after tax! but like i said what can we do? i'd love to actually see where most of that extra tax goes! im sure there's a big black hole (or someone's back pocket)

but now the mrs is living with me there's 2 wages coming in compared to last year when she was a student and i had to pay all the rent,bills, food and then paid for everywhere we went etc and im not the highest paid person in the world by any stretch of the imagination!! so you can imagine how tight last year was for me!

i have no mortgage (yet), no debts or credit cards, no kids (yet) and we have a low rent and a very good landlord who doesnt put the it up every 5 minutes!

i feel that together we're in a better position despite all this rising cost of living!

i also pretty much always fund a new purchase by selling something just to keep things nice and even!

1 sold speaker cab = 1 new bass!! :huh:

does anyone want to add anything positive or light hearted??

its getting depressing lol

:huh:

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='237965' date='Jul 12 2008, 02:50 PM']i'd love to actually see where most of that extra tax goes! im sure there's a big black hole (or someone's back pocket)[/quote]

MPs need kitchens, it's a simple fact of life. And whatever else they're claiming on expenses that they don't want us to know about.

Procurement's always been a huge source of government mismanagement. Defense contracts are the most high-profile waste of money but in recent years another whole arseload of cash has been bunged at IT projects that either never materialised or ran way over budget and still don't work properly. Many of these projects would be of limited value even if they [i]did[/i] work properly.

You don't have to look far to see where public money is being pissed away - it's all around you.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='237746' date='Jul 12 2008, 01:27 AM']The thing is, if you're in a decent job you'll be fine..[/quote]
Not true. I'm in what I suppose could be considered 'a decent job' - 11 years in a FTSE 100 company. On Friday, we were told that it couldn't be guaranteed we would still have our jobs in two years' time. And I'm an IT guy - my job has nothing to do with sales or the property market.

This is going to affect most of us at some point.