Why become a member? ×

Recomend me a Drive pedal

danny-79

Looking for a new drive pedal.
The amps I run are signature clean sounding (see signature).
I use various filters but the overdrive/fuzz/drive department is down to a soul, bog standard Boss ODB-3, never needed it much in the past but all at once there are a load of songs that require a bit more edge to them, so am currently using the boss just to take the clean edge off, its a good start ! so if you could recommend me a decent drive effect, in a sentence "I want tube like warmth that doesn't sound fake (like the Boss)" something with a pre amp tube in it would be nice, thanks in advance and thanks for reading
Dan

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1394899774' post='2396486']
DHA VT1

[url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page17.html"]http://www.davehalla....uk/page17.html[/url]
[/quote]

For what you`ve specified, doesn`t get much better than these.

I have a VT1 MK3 and it's awesome. Proper creamy drive. It's got switchable germanium & silicon options too. Also I can recommend the TC MojoMojo. A fatter darker drive than the DHA but still natural sounding. And a lot cheaper.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a Zoom B3 - it models a good number of drive / pre-amp pedals pretty accurately, for the price of one or two decent pedals. It also gives you the option of almost any effect you could ever need - I've found it very handy for my functions band, where quite often I'll want to use an effect for only one song.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1394899774' post='2396486']
DHA VT1

http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page17.html
[/quote]

Do like the look of that one, though might take up a bit too much room on my board, but will keep it in mind,

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1394936886' post='2396943']
TC MojoMojo. A fatter darker drive than the DHA but still natural sounding. And a lot cheaper.
[/quote]

Had a look at this one, not to sure, sounds a bit to toppy to me

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1394980028' post='2397277']
Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a Zoom B3 - it models a good number of drive / pre-amp pedals pretty accurately, for the price of one or two decent pedals. It also gives you the option of almost any effect you could ever need - I've found it very handy for my functions band, where quite often I'll want to use an effect for only one song.
[/quote]

Not a fan of multi effects, one pedal to do one job (cant get to technical for me)

but thanks for the posts, will keep checking back and see what else there is out there think though the VT1 is about favourite at the moment, looks dam cool before you start !

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1394981497' post='2397302']
Tech 21 VT Bass will do the job!
[/quote]

Or try the 'original' Tech21 Sansamp BDDI esp if you're not looking for a noticeably distorted sound but rather just some 'SVT' type warmth.
You get a balance DI function - this might be available on the VT Bass now too ?
And to save risking £££s just try out a Behringer BDI21 for a fraction of the cost. Stick with it if happy else take it from there.

I'd take the VT over the BDDI personally, it can be set totally clean and flat if you want it, and it sounds like an overdriven SVT when pushed, with a more natural sounding breakup and without the hole in the midrange found in the BDDI/BDI21.

Edited by dannybuoy

I'm on a bit of a search for a good overdrive sound too and have tried the tech21 BDDI and it's a really good piece of gear. Haven't tried the VT version though.
Having said that I'm currently trying a behringer BDi21 and if you don't wana spend a lot of money it's hard to go past what this does.
It is not as plush and doesn't get as fuzzy as the tech 21 but for 25 quid it's hard to complain.
The zoom B3 isn't really that difficult to work with, I'm not great with multi effects but if you just pick your effects In a row it behaves like three separate boxes.
I'm sure this gear will have critics too but it's what works for you on your budget is what's important. One players nirvana is another's piece of garbage.

Edited by bassman344

Fair enough. I haven't tried a VT. Have a BDDi and now a BDI21 on the (ebay) way. I'm seldom looking for a sound in 'break up' territory so BDDi at low to moderate gain setting sounds good to me and the midrange characteristic sounds about right to my ears. But I know some point to the ParaDriver to avoid this - does that have similar Drive characteristics and/or a Presence control ?
I guess I can check onlne but it juts occurred to me while typing.
On a similar note is the VT now available with a balanced DI option ?

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1395062977' post='2398141']On a similar note is the VT now available with a balanced DI option ?
[/quote]

Yes - but beware it sounds different to the original, I had both for a while and sold the new DI version onwards.

[quote name='hernandoitwt' timestamp='1395067645' post='2398222']
I use a Darkglass B7K, having tried all sorts of drive pedals this to me is the best pedal I've ever owned.
[/quote]

I'm leaving this one till last as I will probably end up keeping it.

That, and the fact that I don't have £275.00 to blow on it.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1395083956' post='2398497']
Is the newer graphic one better?
[/quote]

I think it is, as it has improved top-end. The older graphic one still sounds great, but it sounds a little more like you've got a blanket over your speaker cabinet.

If you're going for James Jamerson Ampeg B-15, go for the old graphic.

If you're going for Timmy C raging SVT, then it's new graphic!...

Bear in mind that this thread will simply provide you with a long and definitive list of what other people like/own.
Your best bet is to take a listen to some demos, pick a few you're interested in, purchase them (one-by-one and second hand if necessary) and try them live.
Move them on if you're not happy.
The quest for the ever-elusive drive tone is a long but fun one :)

Si

[quote name='danny-79' timestamp='1395170223' post='2399453']
We have a winner Tech 21 VT will be with me sometime Wednesday...
[/quote]

Great choice. I keep buying one and selling it, buying one and selling it...
I really must have a word with myself, get one and keep it. :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1395172440' post='2399484']
I'm still really tempted to get a VT bass and see if I prefer it to the Programmable Sansamp... It's not like I don't have 3 other drive pedals on the board to play with :lol:
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, glad to find this one, onto a winner here! nice one