Why become a member? ×

R*ckb*ck*er 4003 Walnut...Ooooh Blimey...

Muzz

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1395356312' post='2401654']
Thanks for the kind words, but I'm positive. The ergonomics just don't work for me as a pick player - that top edge was cutting into the inside of my right arm within seconds, and the pickup sounds are just...well, they're not what I like to hear. Not for me, and far too expensive to have hanging around in the hope that I might somehow change my mind. Ho hum.
[/quote]

Jeez that's a blow Muzz, real sorry for you, especially with the birthday treat thing. BUT don't act too much in haste. Why not see if you can get a try on a 4004? More all round sound, better ergonomics for the wrist especially but still undeniably look a Rick.
You may be able to get a trade if you find the 4004 more to your taste. Think Reidys may have one in, possibly PMT?
Good luck.

Edited by karlfer

Thanks for that Karl, I'm not keen on a 4004, for me it wrecks the best thing about Rics, which is the looks.

Having played it some more last night, it's just not good enough; by which I mean, the woods and contruction are there, but the design is ergonomically hopeless, and with eyes closed it actually plays like a £450 bass, not a £1600 one. The neck pickup is incredibly low output and wooly, the nut's cut way too high, and I don't know what strings they ship with, but it plays in a pretty lifeless, inconsistent way. There's no zing to the thing, acoustically or plugged in. If I'd paid £450 for it, I'd grit teeth, possibly compromise on the ergonomics and make some mods, change the strings, fettle with it, etc, but for £1639? No chance. I'm on to GAK's returns department when they open at half nine.

For the record, I'm not a 'Fender player', I've had many, many different sorts of basses, from luthiery lovliness to Explorers and Thunderbirds to 8 and 12 strings, and even my rather idiosyncratic but appealing Wishbass, so I'm very happy with lots of different styles of bass. I'm not exclusively a pick player, either, but there's no way to play it with your forearm on the bass that doesn't leave a mark on your arm within seconds, the edge is soooo sharp.

Still gutted, but I'll get the money back, get over it and get something else. I'm almost as upset for my other half, she'd bought it for me for my birthday, so she's quite disappointed, too.

It still looks lovely, though...

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1395392261' post='2401853']
Thanks for that Karl, I'm not keen on a 4004, for me it wrecks the best thing about Rics, which is the looks.

Having played it some more last night, it's just not good enough; by which I mean, the woods and contruction are there, but the design is ergonomically hopeless, and with eyes closed it actually plays like a £450 bass, not a £1600 one. The neck pickup is incredibly low output and wooly, the nut's cut way too high, and I don't know what strings they ship with, but it plays in a pretty lifeless, inconsistent way. There's no zing to the thing, acoustically or plugged in. If I'd paid £450 for it, I'd grit teeth, possibly compromise on the ergonomics and make some mods, change the strings, fettle with it, etc, but for £1639? No chance. I'm on to GAK's returns department when they open at half nine.

For the record, I'm not a 'Fender player', I've had many, many different sorts of basses, from luthiery lovliness to Explorers and Thunderbirds to 8 and 12 strings, and even my rather idiosyncratic but appealing Wishbass, so I'm very happy with lots of different styles of bass. I'm not exclusively a pick player, either, but there's no way to play it with your forearm on the bass that doesn't leave a mark on your arm within seconds, the edge is soooo sharp.

Still gutted, but I'll get the money back, get over it and get something else. I'm almost as upset for my other half, she'd bought it for me for my birthday, so she's quite disappointed, too.

[/quote]

Ric basses are just a stunning design aesthetically, especially the 4003, but I have to agree (and I'm sure that this is where me and Dingus agree) that the ergomics are either right or wrong for you.

Almost every year I seem to yearn a Ric, play one, get put off, pick up a Stingray/Bongo, realise how easy they feel to play and hold etc.

Yet the aesthetics and tone still drag me back to the Ric, especially with this run. I've also tried to get the 'Ric' tone in a shop and never got it right...it felt quite weak :( This could be setup or the amp though when it comes to my try outs.

I'd then go home, pickup a Musicman, and be instantly comfy.

The Bongo gets a fair amount of stick, but that bass is just purely perfect ergonmically...so fun to play. Super responsive and powerful.

I'm sorry it didn't work out, but £1600+ is TOO much to have in one instrument you don't instantly think 'wow'. You have made the right choice IMO.

This is the advantage of the modern internet world - try before you commit completely.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1395392261' post='2401853']

[/quote]

I hadn't realized that you could return the bass for a refund; for some reason I had assumed you had bought it locally from a retail shop and were looking at the prospect of having to sell it on at a loss.. If it is the case that you can get your money back then, yes, ( as I'm sure you already have done) get on that phone and do what you need to do to send it back!

It sounds like you will be joining the ranks of folks like Gareth and myself who love everything about Rickenbackers... except actually playing them . I think you will just have to accept that they are not for you. I am sure there are lots of other basses that you could treat yourself to for that kind of money that, in contrast to this Rickenbacker, will rock your socks off and make you very happy

Funnily enough, the Rickenbacker that I like the most nowadays is the 4004 and I would love a go on one. To me they look great , and from what little I have heard of them on You Tube ( not the best indication, I know) they sound like a slightly more punchy modern take on the Rickenbacker sound.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1395437702' post='2402595']
Well, it's on it's way back to GAK, so as soon as they ping the money back, I'm off again...

It's been an exciting week, at least... ;)
[/quote]

I know the perfect bass for you mate :)

All joking aside, it's not just about ergonomics with Rics, the QC and variability is shocking in an instrument in this price range, way more so than with Fender, EBMM etc. I love my 4001 but I would never again buy a Ric without playing it for a good few hours. They're lovely when they get it right, shocking when they don't.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1395438803' post='2402606']

All joking aside, it's not just about ergonomics with Rics, the QC and variability is shocking in an instrument in this price range, way more so than with Fender, EBMM etc. I love my 4001 but I would never again buy a Ric without playing it for a good few hours. They're lovely when they get it right, shocking when they don't.
[/quote]

Sad but true.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1395422688' post='2402356']
I must be in the minority here - I feel wrong on any bass that isn't a Ric - it's those that have all fallen by the way side.
[/quote]

My 4003 spoils me for playing my fretless Jazz. My Gibson SG Std. feels a bit similar, with the board on the Gibson being a 12" radius.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1395438803' post='2402606']
I know the perfect bass for you mate :)

[/quote]

A +1 from me as well on this. I've had some good ones I regret selling, but I've also owned a few stinkers which I don't!

It's funny over on Rickresource when every year you read posts along the lines of 'this year is the best stuff they've ever made...etc..' when there's been very few changes in years! How can they possibly get to the point of putting out a substandard instrument, given the idea that it's a hands-on factory?

Always amazes me, and it's sad when players who obviously love the bass, are put off by shoddy QC.

As I was told (but never learned) some time back - if you get a good one, keep it. Luckily now, I have and will. :)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1395502930' post='2403142']

A +1 from me as well on this. I've had some good ones I regret selling, but I've also owned a few stinkers which I don't!

It's funny over on Rickresource when every year you read posts along the lines of 'this year is the best stuff they've ever made...etc..' when there's been very few changes in years! How can they possibly get to the point of putting out a substandard instrument, given the idea that it's a hands-on factory?

Always amazes me, and it's sad when players who obviously love the bass, are put off by shoddy QC.

As I was told (but never learned) some time back - if you get a good one, keep it. Luckily now, I have and will. :)[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

I guess they don't know the crap ones are crap until they've built them, and by then they have to sell them (well, they don't have to, I know at least one luthier who doesn't release an instrument for sale unless he's personally happy with it, as a consequence a few of his friends have instrument FOC that he wasn't happy with).

Yes, hold on to the good'uns!

As an addendum to this one, I was passing PMT on Thursday, so as usual I popped in, and there on the wall (at £1699) was a 4003W.

I took it down , tried it, and...

...it was as bad as the one I sent back. Fretboard littered with weak notes, nut cut a couple of mm high at the first fret, just lifeless. A £400 bass at best. :(

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1396102141' post='2409963']
As an addendum to this one, I was passing PMT on Thursday, so as usual I popped in, and there on the wall (at £1699) was a 4003W.

I took it down , tried it, and...

...it was as bad as the one I sent back. Fretboard littered with weak notes, nut cut a couple of mm high at the first fret, just lifeless. A £400 bass at best. :(
[/quote]

Think I'll give one a miss.

[quote name='Back to Bassics' timestamp='1396183867' post='2410691']
Am I the only one here who thinks they are pig ugly? Maple fingerboard on a Ric? It's simply wrong. And the body should have been left as part of the coffee table it was cut from ...
[/quote]

I'm not that keen to be honest, but I don't much care for a natural finish on any bass. And I prefer maple too, preferably one-piece, but I would rather see rosewood (or whatever dark Ric fingerboards are made of) on a Ric.

None of this is helped by the fact that every single Ric I've ever tried has been a complete and utter dog, to the point of being totally unplayable. Just unlucky, I suppose. :(

Edited by discreet

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1396184745' post='2410698']
Yes you are the only one......I'm assuming your question wasn't rhetorical?
[/quote]

No, it wasn't. There do seem to be an awful lot of people who aren't Ric players who like it, which seems odd to me. I stand by what I said, though, I think it's a dog's dinner, and I wouldn't have one if you offered to buy me one (honestly).

I also hate the look of Lemmy's "Ric".

Oh, and I'm a big Ric fan. I just can't stand coffee table basses (or maple fingerboards).

I'm not too big on them TBH (runs and hides.... :ph34r:[size=4] )[/size]

[size=4]I too am not a big fan of natural finishes.....but saying that, often these things look far better in the flesh than in pictures.[/size]

[size=4] [/size][size=4]Often players are deterred by the ergonomics which can give the wrong impression of these basses. It's been said before but you either love them, or hate them - both with a passion! :)[/size]