Why become a member? ×

R*ckb*ck*er 4003 Walnut...Ooooh Blimey...

Muzz

Sooo, I'm casting about all over for a 50th birthday present to myself, lots of options, nothing making me put my hand straight into my pocket...and then I saw a picture of the new 4003W...good grief...

My first decent bass was a Jetglo 4001 (all your fault, Geddy...) back in the Late Jurassic, and since I sold it in the mid-eighties I've never had the slightest GAS for another...until today...

Anyone else seen/like the look of them?

Walnut [i]can[/i] actually be quite light, depending on how it is selected. Similar to mahogany in that it can be both light or exceptionally heavy. Certain bass builders offer a selected walnut body as a way of lightening their designs, and it helps that lightweight walnut is pretty resonant, apparently. One reason why a lot of Californian guitar builders ( such as Rickenbacker) favour walnut is because it grows everywhere in that part of the world, so there is a big supply of relatively inexpensive walnut to choose from. Typically, I wouldn't think walnut would be any heavier than the maple that Rickenbackers are usually made from, which is not usually a lightweight wood itself.

Putting my sensible head on for a minute, it might be that one reason why they have gone with a maple board is that it imparts some of that bright and punchy Rick tone that usually comes from the maple body. Walnut will sound different because it's a much softer wood than maple.

I think this is one of those basses that will look much better in the flesh than it does in photographs, and it looks pretty good in the photographs.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1394893579' post='2396390']
With the right accessories ( like this Rickenbacker bass for example) they could work as part of your outfit. ;)
[/quote]

Love the amp and like the shoes.

Starting to think whether it is worth selling a Vigier Arpege and EBS Fafner to obtain the funds...for the shoes obviously.