Why become a member? ×

What Was Wrong With Your Streamliner?

discreet

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1394184172' post='2388745']
I found it lacking in volume and punch... Also I didn't like the big hole in the midrange and found myself fighting the EQ...
[/quote]

Hmm - more evidence of scooping..! Thanks for this. :)

Seriously - more of you should consider a used Walkabout.

No fancy-pants digital 3DPM™ Power Management or Active Power Management™. No hi-pass filtering. No squeezing 900w out of a power module nearer 300w.

Just old-fashioned analogue power from a lump of iron and some valves, with all the loveliness and ballsy mids that comes with it, in a reasonably-sized package.

(Usual disclaimer applies - this is all IMO)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1394184813' post='2388759']
Seriously - more of you should consider a used Walkabout... Just old-fashioned analogue power from a lump of iron and some valves, with all the loveliness and ballsy mids that comes with it, in a reasonably-sized package.
[/quote]

Believe me Michael, I'm well into that concept and am totally pleased with the sound of my Burman rig. But it's not exactly a reasonably-sized package to put it mildly... I have had a look at the Walkabout and it seems like it would be an ideal solution for me... I just need to sell a kidney to get one. ;)

Of course, life has taught me that nothing good is ever cheap... they seem a lot more affordable in the US, though. I was toying with the idea of importing one, but it looks like there may be voltage issues.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394184450' post='2388750']
Hmm - more evidence of scooping..!
[/quote]

Very happy with mine so far, but this has made me think: All my fretted basses feature a mahoosive humbucker. The fretless however has a reverse P pickup, and that one sounds on the scooped side of woody. Then again it sounds like that through my TC, which is quite a mids-focused amp...

OK I'm off to AB the GB and the TC. TTFN!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1394185736' post='2388784']
Don't get me started on MESA's UK pricing. *hyperventilates*
[/quote]

If Mesa had normal prices over here, I'd try a Walkabout.

It's not that I won't spend that cash, its that I see the distributor taking A MASSIVE chunk for no apparent reason.

I think over the next 10 years or so, as the international market continues to grow, and the web continues to dominate sales, then we will see an end to the middleman distribution.

I don't actually think having a 'distributor' makes it easier. There should just have an approved service for faults, but one that doesn't need to distribute.

Basically, everyone takes a bite of the cherry and we foot the bill. Annoying.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1394184172' post='2388745']
I bought a used 600 and sold it within days. I found it lacking in volume and punch compared to the Orange Terror - I could max the volume on the Genz in my bedroom, bang an open E and the built in power management would just clamp right down on the note. With the Orange Terror, I have feared to turn the master past 10 o'clock (and that's with the gain nearly all the way down), and it just thumps you in the chest. Also I didn't like the big hole in the midrange and found myself fighting the EQ. I know the Orange EQ is pants as well, but at least I don't have a problem getting a good sound out of it.

I might have got on better with the 900 and different cabs though (tried it with a sealed Matamp 2x12 at the time).
[/quote]
Wow I certainly wouldn't like to try and max the volume on my Streamliner in my house as it has plenty of beans for me..

Re: the mids, The bass sound is a chain of bass, leads, pedals, amp cabs. Changing an element like and amp can throw everything else out if its much different from the original. You certainly did the right thing in getting rid rather than changing other elements that you were happy with. Having said that its not the amps fault, its just that its different and doesn't fit your sound chain.
I struggled when changed from my Ashdown to a GB system. The Ashdown system sounded nice and warm, was very forgiving. I could change other elements in the chain like pedals and basses without drastic changes in sound. The GB system is much more critical but when I get it dialed in I much prefer the results. I also get many more complements on the sound. I know exactly what I'm doing with it now and like I say I'm really happy with it

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394184362' post='2388749']
Thanks for this - hmm I like mids, too. I notice you have a GK MB500 in your sig - what's that like, then? :)
[/quote]

GK amps have a GK flavour, and the MB amps are huge in the low end and very spikey/modern up top. You will again find a mid scoop, which can again be adjusted out, just like the Streamliner.

I actually like low mids...the thick upper bass/low mid area of a bass tone is where I find that 'kick', which doesn't pound your speakers but makes bass audible. The Streamliner, combined with say a Musicman Stingray, has more than enough mids, and still has room to dial more in.

[quote name='whynot' timestamp='1394187870' post='2388837']
I had a couple of Streamliners. Sounded great at home but on a gig (full band function type) I found it to lacked a little mid punch/presence which I couldn't dial in. Lows and highs were lovely.
[/quote]

I like more lows and highs but I can see the problem as I struggled with my Jazzers to get a tone that I liked. With my Sandberg TM4. I loved playing them at home but found myself tone searching with the band. That was with both my Ashdown and GB systems. I didn't blame the basses its just horses for courses.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394184362' post='2388749']

Thanks for this - hmm I like mids, too. I notice you have a GK MB500 in your sig - what's that like, then? :)
[/quote]

GK MB500 = great amp !

I've been through so many amps it's ridiculous. I've found the MB500 to be powerful & punchy. Simply a great full range amp. I don't "get" the GK voice to be honest. It sounds fairly PA-like and flat to me, but still with ample EQ adjustment. In fact, one of the things I really like about it is how powerful the EQ is, and yet still easily useable.
Through my Genz Neo NX2 2x12 I could not dream of tolerating the sheer volume on stage if I ever got it up to noon on the master volume. About 10.30 is about the farthest I've had it up, and that was is a big venue, no PA support.
I find the MB 500 simply faithfully amplifies what I put through it. Thus I can do tonal tweaking on my pedalboard and I actually hear the difference through this rig. Many amps seem to "take over "the sound rather too much for me and whatever you put in to them, they can sound much the same out the other end.
Note ... the NX2 cab is very much responsible for this too. The MB500 and Genz NX2 cab work very well together.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1394180289' post='2388686']
To answer the original question, to counter lots of happy owners who ARE happy with the streamliner.

I sold mine because of it's inherent sound ... ie. it's big heavy bottom, and inherent mid scoop. Yes you can get it almost flat by reducing the bass big time and either scooping it's 220Hz mids OR boosting it's 600Hz mids. But for me that is still too scooped. I like mids and this amp simply doesn't deliver in that area for me. From my memory my cab at the time was a Genz 8x10 XB3, certainly not a mid-shy cab.
The EQ allows you to boost cut either 220Hz, 600Hz or 1500Hz on it's mids control. However, if you boost one of them, I still notice the gap elsewhere.
For many owners this simply isn't an issue as they are looking for a different sound but for me it was a deal-breaker.
[/quote]

+1, says it all

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1394230886' post='2389468']
GK MB500 = great amp ! ...I've found the MB500 to be powerful & punchy. Simply a great full range amp. I don't "get" the GK voice to be honest. It sounds fairly PA-like and flat to me, but still with ample EQ adjustment. In fact, one of the things I really like about it is how powerful the EQ is, and yet still easily useable... ...Many amps seem to "take over "the sound rather too much for me and whatever you put in to them, they can sound much the same out the other end.
[/quote]

Thanks for this - I'm very glad you think so, because I've got a GK MB500 Fusion incoming. :yarr:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394236601' post='2389540']
Thanks for this - I'm very glad you think so, because I've got a GK MB500 Fusion incoming. :yarr:
[/quote]

Reckon you`ll be very pleased with that Mark, great amps and the pre-amp valves really thicken up the sound nicely in the mix.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1394264520' post='2389616']
Reckon you`ll be very pleased with that Mark, great amps and the pre-amp valves really thicken up the sound nicely in the mix.
[/quote]

Thanks Lozz, that's very reassuring. Let's hope it doesn't get recycled within a month... ;)

[/quote]

*Nelly Boswell voice on* "TART!"

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394270147' post='2389682']

I know. But every time I carry my SL100, I can feel my innie becoming an outie. And not for the first time. :(
[/quote]

I know what you mean! Could be worse... Could be turning your outie into an innie!

I'm more than happy with my Streamliner 600. The only thing I'd change it for is the 900. I don't have an issue with lack of mids, but my P has half wounds on as I'm not after a twangy mid focused tone, more like deep, rich and punchy. It sits under everything else on stage and it works for me.

Owned my SL900 since they came out (or thereabouts), and yes I've had head turned by other bits of gear - I'm now on Bassman 100T's. But it's probably a keeper/back-up until it goes properly kaput (touches wood, it's had zero issues).

Also a great choice where lots of stairs are involved.

[/quote]

Cool, I think you'll be impressed. My only issue with GK class D amps is that a few individual units have a slightly higher noise floor (from new) than I am happy with. If you buy one of those (new) you can always return it for another though.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1394355408' post='2390493']
Cool, I think you'll be impressed. My only issue with GK class D amps is that a few individual units have a slightly higher noise floor (from new) than I am happy with. If you buy one of those (new) you can always return it for another though.
[/quote]

Bought it from a Basschatter. I'm sure he would have mentioned it if it were a noisy one. Wouldn't he? :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394356222' post='2390502']

Bought it from a Basschatter. I'm sure he would have mentioned it if it were a noisy one. Wouldn't he? :D
[/quote]

It's the one thing I didn't mention as I needed the sale :P

Haha, no to be honest it's been impressively quiet and even the DI is cleaner than my SansAmp for some reason. :)

I've found there's a few amps that sound great in a store or home environment but don't quite cut it live. Personally I've found the Streamliner, some of the Shuttle range and TC Electronics suffer from this.

All of them seem to suck the life out of a bass at volume with a live band. I think some of this is definitely a lack of mids in he core tone. At home I don't want the mids slapping me in the face and they can sound harsh and abrasive so a mid-cut seems to smooth things over and creates a smoother tone.

However, get in front of a loud band and, for me, it's all about those mids. Getting them right makes so much difference to my personal enjoyment of live gigging and that's the reason I've moved GB and TC gear so quickly because I really didn't enjoy using them live :(