Why become a member? ×

Interesting news article... And total bs

mikebass84

I happen to live in Redditch which has a good local music scene with some fantastic bands (including the mighty Khaos Theory of course) and we've just been voted 'least musical' in Britain.
Now I know iit's just some bs research done by people that have probably never been to Redditch but sh*t like this pisses me off.
http://www.itv.com/news/2014-03-05/harry-styles-home-town-named-least-musical-in-britain/

people are always whinging about the local scene here in Stoke but depending on the genre there are plenty of good gigs around. The problem is if you want to play doom-death-grime-core-step-hop no-one will come and watch. It doesn't mean there's no scene, it just means the people round here still want oasis covers.

• 6 months later...

Well, I think I know the South East ok..and Kent pretty well and Swale is very very vibrant
so I am quite bemused to what these people are looking for or judging on.
With the excpetion of the London outskirts, the town of Faversham has probably the best music scene,
closely followed by Deal. Maidstone is a big town/City but no one I know wants to play it...the parking is the centre is
a HUGE turn-off. You can tell how good Faversham can be when bands will travel down from the Estuary to play it
and local bands from other towns can't get in as the standard is high. The town Hop festival attracts 20,000 people
over the weekend and the pubs have 4 times typical Xmas takings that weekend.
Not a town any local band can ignore, IMO.

The whole thing is pointless. After all, where did Bishops Stortford come?
Unless EVERY town in the UK is listed, it means nothing as the missing towns would have to appear somewhere in the list. The fact that Redditch gets a mention it probably comes far above my beloved ( :P ) Bishops Stortford

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1394024967' post='2387016']
people are always whinging about the local scene here in Stoke but depending on the genre there are plenty of good gigs around. The problem is if you want to play doom-death-grime-core-step-hop no-one will come and watch.
[/quote]

Yeah, but that would be true in any town wouldn't it? ;)

Ah, but this seems to have been a proper survey, with a whopping 94,000 respondents, proper tests and carefully graded questions; all conducted by respected Goldsmith's College and the BBC.

If it is the case that the survey is correct and Redditch [i]is[/i] the least musical town in the UK then let us not be downhearted. Someone had to come last and it may all be different next year.

By the same token the survey does not denigrate the local music scene or its component bands but merely notes the comparative lack of musicality among [i]the general population. [/i]

Equally, it does not mean that the OP is unmusical; merely that he is relatively much more musical than his neighbours. Cause for celebration; an opportunity, even, to lift local musicality in a target-rich environment.

And no one could possibly think the worse of Redditch simply because Ashfield in Nottinghamshire nosed ahead. I'm sure Redditch is good at lots of other things :)

Edited by skankdelvar

When I have been researching musicians, I am often interested to note that their professional lives are very different to those in more conventional work settings. They sometimes have major tours, international appearances etc, legendary sessions that make them look busy and then, after the big gig finsihes, they do nothing for months or even years. It's all very glitzy on paper but the lived experience of the personalities involved is often very different. How many artists do we see who have years and years between albums (Kate Bush is a current example). I know plenty of people who live in London and hardly ever gig and plenty who live in one horse towns who are out regularly. It is what it is.

[quote name='mikebass84' timestamp='1394022696' post='2386978']
I happen to live in Redditch which has a good local music scene with some fantastic bands (including the mighty Khaos Theory of course) and we've just been voted 'least musical' in Britain.
Now I know iit's just some bs research done by people that have probably never been to Redditch but sh*t like this pisses me off.
[url="http://www.itv.com/news/2014-03-05/harry-styles-home-town-named-least-musical-in-britain/"]http://www.itv.com/n...cal-in-britain/[/url]
[/quote]

Does it matter?

Unless your band is strictly local in outlook, where you are from should be all but irrelevant.