Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Big Twin 2 just arrived!

Handwired

We'll after a couple of Gigs the BT2 has been sent back. I've used quite a few different high end cabs with my rock band but this one got a unanimous thumbs down from everyone, mainly due to it being difficult to hear on stage and certain notes seeming to disappear on me. The projection however was almost too good, loud as hell out front, so much so I had nothing through the PA, a fellow Bass Chatter I know also had the same experience with this cab. I've now done what I should have done in the first place and bought a Berg.

[quote name='Handwired' timestamp='1395830797' post='2406737']
We'll after a couple of Gigs the BT2 has been sent back. I've used quite a few different high end cabs with my rock band but this one got a unanimous thumbs down from everyone, mainly due to it being difficult to hear on stage and certain notes seeming to disappear on me. The projection however was almost too good, loud as hell out front, so much so I had nothing through the PA, a fellow Bass Chatter I know also had the same experience with this cab. I've now done what I should have done in the first place and bought a Berg.
[/quote]

Did you go for the CN212?

[/quote]

Interesting. What amp were you using? I've got one of these on the way and I'm quite old school about sound so I'm keen to understand what's going on.

Whilst I don't wish to get into the usual debate I wonder if some of the onstage probelms were down to EQing the amp for a different sort of a cab?

Ulitmately if it didn't work for you it didn't work of course just interested to know your EQing approach with this cab vs others?

Edited by Merton

Of course, any issues would be for a different cab set-up... but it seems to me that some cabs can dominate
which might appeal initially to a lot of people, big BASS sound etc etc...but as I've said before, you can always add bass
easier than you can get rid of it...and in difficult rooms the most problems you'll have is getting rid of a bassy sound.
Rigs that can reach the back of the room and rattle the walls might appeal to some but you should soon find out that
that is likely to have screwed your mix.
This is why the most popular, read successful cabs, are NOT bass heavy to the exclusion of all else...

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1395922046' post='2407921']
Whilst I don't wish to get into the usual debate I wonder if some of the onstage probelms were down to EQing the amp for a different sort of a cab?

Ulitmately if it didn't work for you it didn't work of course just interested to know your EQing approach with this cab vs others?
[/quote]I always eq the head for the cab I'm using, to get the sound I'm after, who wouldn't?

[quote name='Handwired' timestamp='1395992591' post='2408639']
I always eq the head for the cab I'm using, to get the sound I'm after, who wouldn't?
[/quote]
Honestly just a query - I know plenty of people (to be fair, guitarists mainly, haha) who just set "their EQ" and leave it for any room/cab without any thought. :)

[/quote]

Similar experience I had with mine. Sounded great out front in a big venue first time I used it with no need for PA support but not on stage or in practice rooms, it was difficult to hear.
Not sure what this was down to, I tried EQuing for the cab with my Aguilar DB750 but nothing I did seemed to help it, yes the EQ on the 750 is not the most powerful but it's work fine for me with many other cabs.
Luckily I had the chance to test another Barefaced cab, Super Twin and I knew it was the cab for me, more punchy lows and mids and you can hear it really well anywhere you are in the stage or room....This was all backed up by my band mates, we had both cabs in our practice room and tried them for 3 hours,we all agreed on and preferred the Super Twin. At some point I even did it a s blind test and they all went for the Super Twin.
The Big Twin 2 cab is an amazing cab, fit and finish we're excellent, loud as you'd never believe, very versatile sounding but ultimately not for me, maybe if I had another amp with a more capable EQ section it would have worked. Not knocking down the cab at all here, I just happened to preferred another Barefaced cab over this one.

Handwire, that Bergantino NV412 is hard to beat, best cab I have owned...and that's been quite a few :)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1395923539' post='2407939']
Took me about 15 or so gigs before I understood mine, but it's simply a superb cab.
[/quote]

Could you tell us a bit about the learning curve you had? I've got one incoming and I don't think I've got the mentality to wait 15 gigs before I've sussed it?
How long did it take to run in?

[/quote]

Were you given any advice from BF on this? Do we know or understand why it projects but doesn't deliver at close range in your case? Do the cab's characteristics change as the drivers get run in?

I've got one incoming and am getting a bit wary now.

[quote name='Handwired' timestamp='1395864439' post='2407432']
NV412
[/quote]
Got one of these. As near to perfect for me as I think is possible. Love it to bits and I'm defo also a Barefaced fan but the berg is a peach.

I discussed the problem with Alex and his advise to me was the same as he gave to Paubass, he said ' your standing too close to it, put it right at the back off the stage and maybe angle it across'. I just want to put my rig behind me and Rock. It may well sound ok, but I'm not willing to pander to it's needs.