Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Big Twin 2 just arrived!

Handwired

How are you supposed to hear what sound you're getting while you're playing?

What if you rehearse in a small village hall type of place, I can only put my cab so far away before I would have to move it outside!

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1396202530' post='2410931']
I suppose the size of stages being played also have a factor here - some of the stages I`ve played standing just about on top of the cab is the only place available. Would be nice playing the O2 I suppose.....
[/quote]

Yeah, this. Wish I had that luxury!

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1396206173' post='2410991']
How are you supposed to hear what sound you're getting while you're playing?

What if you rehearse in a small village hall type of place, I can only put my cab so far away before I would have to move it outside!
[/quote]

I get to stand right in front of the rig or upto 2mtrs away.... I can always hear what I am playing and always hear the tone.
If I couldn't I wouldn't keep that set-up. This is little to no difference in the play back to me in those situations with my rigs.

I use rehearsals to get feel and format right, that is my priority there.... but a rehearsal doesn't need to add any problems
re the sound.

Think I've said before that a twin 12" cab with that much power is probably overkill for 90% of users.

Given how much Barefaced promote carefully-designed directivity as a feature then it ought to be clearly audible up close, maybe those Faital tractrix horns are not so good for this application.

One thing, if it truly is a 'hifi' cab then I guess a relative lack of cone distortion could cause issues for some. I've noticed psychoacoustic placement of vocal monitors is often easier when they're a bit sh*ttier, the better ones can just envelope you with sound but still not be as easy to place. Most bass cabs produce a fair amount of distortion in the mid/upper mid range, this can be a useful part of the sound.

Well, in so far as you set up near the drums but you need him to hear them...but by the time you have set it up... some 'stages' don't allow easy movement as all the other kit is in the way. Ironically, the stages that tend to allow optimal placement are also the ones
that have sidefills and monitors which can be used as a bass monitor.
( This is one reason why I really don't get tiny backline that the bass player can just about hear at a pinch.. as he has it pointing upto his ear...but no one else in the band can... so you are all playing to nothing, unless the bass gets in the monitors, which not so very many engrs are keen on doing for one reason or another... The first thing I look at is the monitors to see whether they are man enough, but then I have brought a rig for the stage anyway)

Again..this points back to fridges, they fill the stage but not excessively with bass, and are the lesser of many evils in that regard, IMO..
and engrs and backline co's know this..and the theme is perpetuated, to the point of being iconic, but not without decent functional reason either. A nice catch 22... IMO.

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1396354237' post='2412559']
Think I've said before that a twin 12" cab with that much power is probably overkill for 90% of users.

Given how much Barefaced promote carefully-designed directivity as a feature then it ought to be clearly audible up close, maybe those Faital tractrix horns are not so good for this application.

One thing, if it truly is a 'hifi' cab then I guess a relative lack of cone distortion could cause issues for some. I've noticed psychoacoustic placement of vocal monitors is often easier when they're a bit sh*ttier, the better ones can just envelope you with sound but still not be as easy to place. Most bass cabs produce a fair amount of distortion in the mid/upper mid range, this can be a useful part of the sound.
[/quote]Agreed, my Fridge breaks up musically when I dig in with the SVT CL but when I used that technique with the BT2 coupled with the SVT it damm near shut the cab down, I thought I'd killed it. Alex said it was the the amp giving in and not the cab, but I've used the SVT with many other cabs without issue, either way, not a good match.

Edited by Handwired

[quote name='Handwired' timestamp='1396359843' post='2412661']
Agreed, my Fridge breaks up musically when I dig in with the SVT CL but when I used that technique with the BT2 coupled with the SVT it damm near shut the cab down, I thought I'd killed it. Alex said it was the the amp giving in and not the cab, but I've used the SVT with many other cabs without issue, either way, not a good match.
[/quote]

By "dig in" do you mean running the power valves past 12 o'clock or having high gain or what?

And what is meant by the amp "giving in"? I like to treat my 400+ in the way Randall intended it to be treated and am wondering if I'm going to hit the same issues?

By 'digging in' I mean how hard I play. The gain is at just over a quarter, and the master at just before twelve. I do use vintage G&L's which are very powerful passive instruments though. By 'amp giving in' I think Alex meant the cab is drawing more power than the amp can supply.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1396443507' post='2413680']
what? :blink:
[/quote]

Hmm, impedance issues? But it could be (without hearing it) an issue with using a compression driver crossed lower than usual for a bass cab, I'd assume they're crossed around 2-2.5k in the BF. Distortion through compression drivers can sound a bit nasty, especially at the bottom of their range. Cone speakers are often more forgiving, subjectively speaking

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1396448797' post='2413784']
Could it be the valve power amp being affected by the impedance curve of a ported cab (which increases either side of the porting frequency) when driven hard? I've heard of this as a potential issue with valve amps and modern cabs, but have no idea what it would sound like.
[/quote]

Aye, that's exactly what I was wondering