Why become a member? ×

Alternatives to the vox amplug

ML94

Hi guys

After purchasing one of these a few months ago I recently found out why people got annoyed with them, they don't last long. I've been looking for some alternatives on the net and can't find anything that does the same job. The most 'wanted' thing for me is a 3.5 mm input to connect my macbook, iPhone into.

Does anyone else use sonething similar? I'm not looking to get a DI box or one of them to toneport things. Just sonething that plugs into the bass has the 3.5 input and headphone ports.

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1390785559' post='2349577']
What happened to your Amplug? Mine's got a dodgy aux input after just three months, it won't work unless I keep the cable pinned between my bass and my thigh
[/quote]

I have to slowly dial in gain settings so it actually plays something. Sometimes i have to slowly adjust the tone control as there is no sound coming out most of the time. Also, now it starts to hum so much its become deafening !

Cheaper options are the older Korg Pandoras - loads of them on eBay usually!

Does your Mac have a line in? I used to practice through my PC by just plugging it into the line input, then mix it with audio output from Windows Media Player (with the bass turned down on the EQ). You'll get better tone with an active bass or with a buffered effects pedal in the signal path due to the low impedance input on the line-in socket, but it will be usable by plugging a passive bass straight in!

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1390778199' post='2349514']
Hi guys

After purchasing one of these a few months ago I recently found out why people got annoyed with them, they don't last long. I've been looking for some alternatives on the net and can't find anything that does the same job. The most 'wanted' thing for me is a 3.5 mm input to connect my macbook, iPhone into.

Does anyone else use sonething similar? I'm not looking to get a DI box or one of them to toneport things. Just sonething that plugs into the bass has the 3.5 input and headphone ports.
[/quote]

You should be demanding a replacement or refund, and let Vox know of the problem!

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1390821953' post='2349806']
You should be demanding a replacement or refund, and let Vox know of the problem!
[/quote]

I will try that actually but I have the feeling I'll lose the dispute. Has anyone tried there Amphones ? Theres a video of Victor Wooten demonstrating them and wondered if they were better than the amplugs

I'm surprised at the problems you've had with your Amplug. I've had mine for 4+ years and it's never been a bother. OK the sound quality isn't too great and there's more background noise than I would like, but for the money it's been fine.

I looked at the Amphones, but would imagine them to be fairly similar in sound and build quality, and if you are prepared to spend that much, then I would definitely recommend shelling out a little bit extra and going for something like the SFX H1, which is a really decent bit of kit.

BC-er selling an s/h Pocket Pod Express for a mere £25.00 [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/226219-fs-line-6-pocket-pod-express-9v-psu-with-5-point-daisy-chain-jazz-bass-pick-guard/page__p__2341096__hl__pod__fromsearch__1#entry2341096"]here[/url]

Its larger brother the Pocket Pod is about £85 new and works fine for me. Had it four years or so, no problems, very versatile and has online access to loads of patches.

Another happy user of Vox Amplugs. I put in rechargeable accus, which last a fair while, and have had no problems whatever over several years. Some may go duff, I suppose, but I haven't heard that they're particularly unreliable. Maybe just an unlucky exception..? Mine is great; I'm not a fan of the 'Vox sound' at all, but it's fine for armchair practice.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1390818197' post='2349747']
I used to use a Pocket Rock-it. did everything I needed it too and it plugged directly into the bass too.

[url="http://www.pocketrockit.com/Page.php?id=0022s1b"]http://www.pocketroc....php?id=0022s1b[/url]
[/quote]

Yep me too I have one of these Im very pleased with it