Why become a member? ×

Sore palm after playing Jazz Neck

silky13

Sounds crazy, but I just wanted to check with you guys to see if anyone else has had or heard of this.... I have been playing only my mex precision with all parts precision neck for the past 2/3months. I'm getting back to practicing with cover band this week and so picked up my custom precision with jazz neck. Everytime I do, after 10mins my palm gets really sore. Back to the mex and no issues.... only thing I can think thats different is the neck profile (one being a jazz neck and other being a precision neck!?)

Sounds logical and if you've been used to one neck for a while then change, then its common to get some discomfort. I would stick with the Jazz for a while to see if the pain goes, but if it doesnt then stop.
I play bass 100% of time now (used to be a lead guitarist) and whenever I pick up my acoustic six string for a jam, my palm really hurts.

Ah ha ha! Good one.... never noticed that!

Cheers guys! Yeah I'll batter on with the jazz and see if it loosens up! I think you're probably right it being a cramp type injury from a tighter position but I suppose time will tell! Hopefully it will.loosen off! Id hate to have to ditch that bass altogether! :-(

How can the neck be the problem? It has to be the way you're playing it.

Lower your strings. Is the strap too high or too low? The "break angle" on your wrist too sharp?

Are you over stretching your fingers rather than moving your hand?

Do you have a "gorilla grip"? Play with a lighter touch?

You said your palm is sore. Is the skin sore, or do the mussels in the hand ache?

If the skin is sore, then it's more likely to be that the surface of the neck has become sticky and your skin is getting friction burns when you're moving your hand up and down the neck. I've not had this on a neck, but I have from a computer keyboard.

If the neck is getting sticky then you probably need to clean it. How you do that will be dependent on the finish, but if it's lacquer, then a soft soapy cloth is all you need, then dry it thoroughly after.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1390386774' post='2344693']
You said your palm is sore. Is the skin sore, or do the mussels in the hand ache?

If the skin is sore, then it's more likely to be that the surface of the neck has become sticky and your skin is getting friction burns when you're moving your hand up and down the neck.
[/quote]
If the skin is sore, then it's more likely to be seriously poor technique.

Assuming you're in a Heavy Rock/Metal band playing 80's/90's type stuff as mentioned in your "Interests", one could also assume that you're playing songs that are a bit faster than 120bpm?

The Jazz neck is not only not as wide as the P bass neck, but thinner as well, could be that you're having to adjust your hand/finger positions for the Jazz, and having to hold your hand that bit tighter than you're used to on the P neck. One possible solution to this would be to get a 2nd hand P bass neck, and put it on the Jazz if you want to keep on using it?

Also, how low do you wear the basses on their straps? Might be worth looking at.

How do you "warm up" your hand before playing? It's worthwhile doing hand and finger stretching exercises for a while before starting to play (easy enough to do on the way to rehearsals/gigs).

Just a thought.

Jazz basses give me fore-finger ache. I was in agony with it, and then I realised what was causing it.

I kind of didn't want to, as I really liked the bass at the time (and hadn't had it long). But sold it on.....problem solved.

Edited by spongebob

Whats the neck profile on the Jazz? I find with a jazz neck if it has a 7.25 radius it can make your palm sore as opposed to a 9.5. It just requires a different technique. I have learned to adjust my technique accordingly. I have found that on a jazz with a 7.25 i can play things more quickly and cleanly than any other bass. There are some l lines like 'hit me with your rhythm stick' i can only play at the right tempo on a jazz bass with a 7.25. radius, as techniques like a pressure roll and pinching are that much easier. Try looking at you left hand a bit more closely. Playing with your finger pads flatter and centred on the board is a great help, as is working just how little pressure you have to exert on the string on a jazz neck to fret it, if your fingers are in the right position. Its next to nothing!

Edited by dan670844