Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1435687301' post='2811490']
For £41 it's the most beautiful bass ever made...

Now I need to find some things that use a 5 string to play to get used to it.
I also need to remember the lowest string ain't an E anymore...
[/quote]

Just move up five frets and down a string, so play bottom G on the 8th fret of the B atring, and go from there.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1435699257' post='2811686']

... By God it's ugly though.
[/quote]

The scratchplate is quite nasty.

[quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1435702141' post='2811730']
Iv been thinking of coating the scratch on my PJ-5 with some sort of black coating, it's the only part of the bass I don't like! On the other hand on my deko Jazz actually has quite nice scratch plate
[/quote]

I might just spray mine black. It worked quite well on the plate for my bitsa bass.
I agree about the Jazz basses having nicer scratchplates

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1435710040' post='2811793']
Just move up five frets and down a string, so play bottom G on the 8th fret of the B atring, and go from there.
[/quote]

I've had a 5 string before and I'd forget it had 5 stings and keep dropping to the B instead of the E

[quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1435740931' post='2811904']
thats looks great! what spray paint did you use? it looks slightly sparkly
[/quote]

Good old Halfords car spray that I had hanging around. It's a slightly satin finish.

[quote name='ben4343' timestamp='1435741303' post='2811908']
Nate Mendel P bass?? As a 5er?! And a J pup! For 40 quid??!

Bargain :)
[/quote]
Not thought of it that way. I thought I'd seen the colour scheme somewhere...

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1435741595' post='2811910']

Any chance you could weight it? Am interested in how heavy the PJ5's are.
[/quote]

Using the old bathroom scales method:
4.4kgs (9.7 lbs)

DEKOS

5 string acoustic.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_b_35nt_acoustic_bass_s_deko.htm

Coldflow: Someone received a ukulele bass deko that had a non-functioning truss rod. It was still playable. (Apologies to the owner for not going back through the thread to work out who it was).

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1435744783' post='2811961']
Might want to check that link AT...
[/quote]

Thanks Bartleby, you're a lifesaver!

And your PJ looks massively improved. I am now very tempted to do the same to mine. Can you name the exact make of paint and type of black that you used? And did you prepare the scratch plate, or just paint it?

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_cg300ce_nt_deko.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...0ce_nt_deko.htm[/url] Classical guitar with cutaway. But I'm holding out for a Santos Series.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1435744868' post='2811962']

And your PJ looks massively improved. I am now very tempted to do the same to mine.

[/quote]

It's a bugger they've swapped the two halves of the P pickup over.
Will have to get a custom made one made. I was hoping a Squire one would fit...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1435764973' post='2812253']
Looks great with the black scratchplate. Do you reckon the paint will stay on once you start using it in anger?
[/quote]

Probably not but I did a white scratchplate for another bass 2 weeks ago. it's been through several hours of playing at home and a 3 hour rehearsal session without a mark on it.

If it gets marked, I'll just respray it.

[quote name='Coldflows' timestamp='1435744282' post='2811949']
Has anyone actually had a fully unplayable guitar?
[/quote]

My standard jazz deko was unplayable in as much as the electrics were faulty so there was no sound when plugged in. Everything else about it was great tho. New pups and pots swapped in and now it is just excellent. Really love it. Pic below

[URL=http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/RickyV68/media/HB%20Standard%20Jazz/JB-20%20001_zpsclu2kzvv.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag328/RickyV68/HB%20Standard%20Jazz/JB-20%20001_zpsclu2kzvv.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1435744716' post='2811959']
DEKOS

5 string acoustic.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_b_35nt_acoustic_bass_s_deko.htm
[/quote]
They must have few of these as I snagged one of these on Monday night and they have still been available since then. Interesting to see if the "damage picture" is just a generic one or if they have a few with the same ding.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1435770417' post='2812313']
They must have few of these as I snagged one of these on Monday night and they have still been available since then. Interesting to see if the "damage picture" is just a generic one or if they have a few with the same ding.
[/quote]

I think you'll find that is "D for Deco" and certainly not all Decos have got the stamp. Mine ain't and I know someone with a Fretless acoustic 5 that has not either

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1435770417' post='2812313']
[/quote]
I can see you are new to this long thread. The 5 string acoustic is one of the most common Dekos over the last 6 months. The ding is a 'D' stamp, usually on heel and back of headstock for bolt ons, to show it is a Deko. Just wish they'd find a lot more P/Js

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1435770721' post='2812317']
I can see you are new to this long thread. The 5 string acoustic is one of the most common Dekos over the last 6 months. The ding is a 'D' stamp, usually on heel and back of headstock for bolt ons, to show it is a Deko. Just wish they'd find a lot more P/Js
[/quote]
I am indeed late to the game and thanks for clearing that up.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1435772092' post='2812329']
I am indeed late to the game and thanks for clearing that up.
[/quote]

Yes, this thread is the equivalent of the fridge shelf in Tesco, that they fill with going out of date items 15 minutes before closing!

Edited by yorks5stringer

I had another play on the PJ4 yesterday and even ignoring it being a deko I find it amazing that they can produce an instrument this good for the price. This is easily as good as any Squier I have played and whilst it isn't going to set the world alight it has a set of very useable tones. I could play this bass for the rest of my days and at full battle volume no-one would be able to tell it cost me £25...

In truth I have no need for it, I am fortunate to have a couple of wonderful instruments that will last me a lifetime so I may well give this one away. There is nothing wrong with it at all (except for a minor dent in the back, plus it could do with some decent strings) I bought it out of curiosity and I am amazed how good it is. I wouldn't hesitate to recomend Harley Benton instruments, IMO this bass could go toe to toe with a bass costing five times as much.

Edited by CamdenRob